don't click here

Sonic 3C 0408 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 23, 2008.

1. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Every single thing in the previous post was known XD

2. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Is it just me or the background patterns in Doomsay have the final boss of death egg in miniature form?

3. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    <!--quoteo(post=181991:date=Feb 28 2008, 05:09 AM:name=Tadashi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tadashi @ Feb 28 2008, 05:09 AM) [​IMG]</a>

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Interestingly, that image IS used in Sonic & Knuckles Collection on PC...

6. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Actually you're wrong about that. There's some screen resizing code in place which locks the lefthand side of the screen at 0x0460, which prevents you from walking far enough to the left to see the rest of the lower and upper sections here. If you go into debug mode right from the start of the level and move diagonally up, you'll be able to reach this section and navigate around it without locking the screen, as long as you don't go too far to the right.

The screen locking code is itself interesting. It may be a remnant of the level from a time when the layout was different. The screen still locks at the correct position later on once going up the teleporter to Knuckles however, which probably means the last part of the level was the same, and in the same position. It doesn't mean they couldn't have modified the start however.

7. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    <!--quoteo(post=182072:date=Feb 28 2008, 03:52 PM:name=Nemesis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nemesis @ Feb 28 2008, 03:52 PM) [​IMG]</a>
    [​IMG]

8. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Hah, I'd never noticed that.

9. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Hm.. I wonder what this could be...

[​IMG]

This build features a damn cool extra Interrupt for debugging purporses, which basically allows a call (and thus stores a list) of nearly ALL the public/common subs of the game. I'm guessing they could trigger this interrupt whenever they wanted using dev hardware. Maybe drx has a better theory or knows better about this.

Btw, for the nontechies out there, this is not a symbol table; only the addresses are stored, I have come up with the labels that you can see there.

10. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Yeah, I've been inspecting this list for a while.

Basically, it's a list of subroutines that can be called according to a parameter by executing a TRAP #15 interrupt.

I wasn't able to find any code in the ROM which would execute TRAPs, so I'm going to lean towards what JoseTB said -- that they used this on dev hardware in a special way. My guess is that they used this 'on the fly', for example by setting a breakpoint somewhere and temporarily overwriting that with a TRAP #15 instruction, thus hijacking the codeflow to a previously prepared 'cosy' subroutine, without the need of needlessly recompiling the rom or unneatly hacking the code with machine code.

Seems pretty nifty to me.

11. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    More stuff about this interrupt. Apparently it's not just a list of the common subroutines, I have already seen several subs that aren't present in the final, most likely used simply to debug things in development. These subroutines usually take some parameters and return a result. For example, there's a sub that takes two objects and a "error rate value" as parameters, and then compares their coordinates, returning 1 to d0 if there's match or 0 if otherwise. Another one takes an object as a parameter and simulates a hit and ring loss... and so on. Pretty neat.

12. Kor

Kor

Pending Member

It happens in the final version of Sonic 3 alone. I have no clue if it happens with S3+S&K but it probably does.

13. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    No, in S&K & S3K it has a red Knuckles on the signpost.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually, in S&K and S3K, while playing as Sonic or Tails, Knuckles doesn't show up on the signpost at all. Similarly while playing as Knuckles, Sonic doesn't show up on the signpost (Tails does though)

15. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Either it's just me, or:

Knuckles gliding phases through enemies completely

The mini-bosses takes less hits

The fallign signposts are more generous with the item box donations.

The monitors you place in debug are lightning shields.

Go into Special Stage two - you see the odd screen change with the silloette of a Super Emerald (from when you collect/touch the emeralds) before getting thrown into a previously mentioned special stage. Lose/exit, you get tossed into AIZ1 w/ water, you fall to your death. 0_o You then get ejected into ANOTHER odd special stage. Die, you go back to AIZ 1, die, and go to YET ANOTHER special stage. Once again ejected into AIZ1, die, game over.

Slot machine bonus: The only goal circles in the field (as opposed to the changing blocks that turn into goals) are outside, if you throw yourself out A LA Sonic 1 Special Stage into the garbles mass of shit using debug.

Even if you used Debug in AIZ1 during the opening, in Sonic 3 Final, didn't knuckles stop you anyway? I don't remember and wanted clarification since I was able to actually bypass this scene. Don't give me that "debug isn't a finding" crap, I just want clarification to my nagging question.

It's late, I had a hell of a day with midterms, somebody please prove or disprove in part or whole any of these observations
    - or mention (kindly though) if mentioned before.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Knuckles stops you no matter what, even if he's not around. After a certain amount of time it's triggered to let your emeralds go, and it will happen wherever you are a that point.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've just tried holding right the whole time after enabling debug on Angel Island (in Sonic 3 final), and Knuckles didn't stop me...

EDIT: If you don't manage to do it without the game crashing, try moving the debug icon to this height (more or less):
    [​IMG]

18. Sonic the Human

Sonic the Human

The david man. All hail. Member
  19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's been a while, but has anyone mentioned exactly what the graphics for the giant spheres in that specific special stage are yet? I can't remember if it's been mentioned.

Anyway, it's like the big checkerball from S1 when it doesn't have the checker pattern on it (replay the GHZ boss and you'll see what I mean).

EDIT: No, not quite, the highlighting is in a different place.

20. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member