don't click here

Chaotix 1207 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

There's not even any water in Chaotix. Perhaps MM was originally intended to have some? Eh, I dunnno what I'm talking about.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually, wasn't that Bomb badnik sprite in SCD as well as S1, or am I imagining things...

3. Blackbird

Blackbird

Boston (Venezuelan Transplant)
    https://rabbitears.rip
    After Burner assembly trash? Even moreso, ARCADE After Burner assembly trash. Also, "EXPROSION 0"

Absolutely amazing find, drx! Now we finally have proof, after all these years, that tails was indeed ported to Chaotix.

Wait. There's an 8 month space between Crackers and 1207, right? So, it's possible that there is a proto between April and December featuring Tails intact!

4. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I assume it's been noted, but on the NPC select menu from Time Attack, the music is DIRECTLY from sonic crackers; no difference whatsoever.

5. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    Do that for proto 0111, because then we'll be able to replace and see how tails would work with his sprites(this one crashes when we select another level, damn.
    EDIT: well, with level select :P).

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, but it was much larger, akin to Marc's giant enemy crab. =P

Didn't 0111 come AFTER 1207? It wouldn't have all the Tails-related references in a later build, would it?

7. MaxKnight

MaxKnight

Local MCP Member
    This is true. 1207 is the earliest build in the set. You're more likely to find evidence of Sonic and Tails in this build than any other.

8. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    ... Damn.

9. Rafalapso

Rafalapso

About the Afterburner 2 text:
    The text is almost equal to the merged roms: 11107.58 and 11108.104. (Starts at offset $328C8 of the merged rom)
    The main differences (other than data) is that the code in 1207 refers to genesis controller buttons.

EDIT:
    The code in 1207 is most likely a part of the After Burner Complete code. (Starts at offset $3dc30 of the After Burner Complete (32x) (JU) [!].32x rom)

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So they were probably making a 32x port as well... Or has there always been one?

I couldn't say for sure and I can't check right now...

11. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Did you try the Steve's fix? It works just fine for me, aside from sporadic in-game crashes.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There *should* be a pic here...

[​IMG]

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

Does Isolated Island even *have* an "Attraction Information"-styled picture in the final? Couldn't remember one, and briefly checked where I thought it would be in the final (save file / training mode screens) with no luck finding it there.

Anyway, it does in this proto, apparently. =P Speed Slider, by contrast, doesn't have one at all - though it being the only stage without a picture on the stage select kinda gives that away.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird

Boston (Venezuelan Transplant)
    https://rabbitears.rip
    Hey, I'm no technical guy, but is it possible to hack into the level labeled as "NOT USED" in the level select? It's available across prototypes, even in the final. Maybe here there's something still in there in this proto?

Bigger edit: Turns out the DAC percussion is in the final, but due to Gens' being an ass with them I couldn't hear them. Scratch all posts apart from those mentioning a different mix in the song.

15. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Protip: Chaotix doesn't have DAC -- it has PWM.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While it seems to be impossible to make a Tails in Chaotix in the final version, since Whechidna can fly in the proto, perhaps Tails could be in the proto along with Sonic... of course the freezing would have to be less frequent I guess.

WHY did they take out Sonic and Tails? All that did was waste a character slot and give people false hopes in the future of having Mighty grouped with the Chaotix in like every 3D game.

17. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Maybe they realized the game sucked and didn't want Sonic and Tails involved =P

And if someone is going to hack a Tails into Chaotix, I want them to try to do it in the final version simply because it actually runs without crashing.

18. Wurly

Wurly

:| Tech Member
    I am, once again, shitting bricks.

Sonic and Tails in Chaotix, guys? I definitely plan on it.

19. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Meaning you'll do it or that you plan that someone else will?
    Cause if you are gonna do it, I can't wait to see it.

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Josh, PM me. It's time for me to get back in the hacking scene and I'd DEFINITELY work with you on this if you want. Also, I'm moving back to IL, so, moar stuff to talk about.