don't click here

Sonic 3C 0517 discussion

Discussion in 'Prototype Discussion' started by drx, Feb 23, 2008.

1. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    I just took a minute to listen through the sound test.
    No Stranger in Moscow Clone.

However, on a wierd note, anywhere from about D9 onwards has no sound until you get to FF which is the Sega Sound.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Just had a look, and I think it's you =P

EDIT: Link to quote

3. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    I'll post a video up later showing the Sound Test options at D9 forward, because not only is it interesting, but if anyone was willing to get started on modifying this beta, then you can use this as free space to import sound effects and level music from other games.

Plus, some of the music is repeated for both acts.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]
    There is no cutscene after this. Neither Sonic or Tails go into their victory poses after winning

[​IMG]
    Incomplete transparencies in the tiles of the tubes. Also the palette screws up before you get to go up the tube to Act 2

[​IMG]
    Special Stage 2 leads you to an unused Super Emerald Stage. Essentially it's just a giant maze, which has no rings by the way, although for some reason you don't get a Perfect. It gives you a Super Emerald. Only Super Emerald stage that's playable in the game I believe

Something odd I've noticed. The April Sonic 3C proto has debug info turned off while in normal gameplay (assuming that debug mode is activated in the first place), like the final, but the May Sonic 3C proto has debug info throughout gameplay, like in Sonic 3's debug mode. Wonder why they went backwards sorta.

5. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    If you play sounds 00 - 06 (or 01 - 07..not exactly sure on that one) and start Special Stage 2 it'll bring you to other Super Emerald Stages corresponding to the number sound you played. (also you might have to have debug enabled and hold A while going there)

6. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Hm.. Something is weird with the S monitor in this build. If you have 7/14 emeralds (makes no difference), you get the same result as if you hit a S monitor, except:
    - No weird stars surrounding Sonic
    - Knuckles has no reflection
    - Tails has no birds (!)

So basically hitting a S monitor brings all these extra objects.

Looks like they may intended to actually change the way the super forms looked like (ie, hyper sonic animated palette is used for what it's supossed to be super sonic in this build) before scrapping this version. Just guessing, I haven't looked at any of the code yet.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Push A+Start and reselect it. There are six other special stages, some of them reused in Sonic and Knuckles. Stage 4, for one, is definitely a S&K level.

8. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I'm sorry but I do not like the melody in this game like everyone else does. I think it has horrible transitions from one song to another and I also think if someone had just released a melody like this, they would have been flamed to hell and back. I can't figure out why everyone always likes stuff in betas better.

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I think it has to do with it being new to them. If they would have heard this one first, and then the one that is actually in the final later, they would be saying the final one is better.

10. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    yeah there's always a "OMG Y DIDN"T THEY KEEP THIS!?" whenever a prototype is released. I mean sometimes there are cool things but this time, I think the final is MUCH better.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yet at the same time, not having the Sonic 3 songs in S3K always seemed odd to me.

12. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    As terrible as it was, it obviously wasn't finished. For some reason, they were lazy and kept the ending just like S&K. I don't see a problem in making a new one for S3K, they went through all the trouble to make Knuckles a new theme...maybe they just didn't think about it or forgot :/. The Sonic 3 songs don't get any justice...

I was pissed when I heard the endings for S&K and S3&K were the same. I hate the S&K bias of the music as well. Almost as if S&K was a virus that attatched itself to Sonic 3....oh wait.

EDIT: By the way, we have the power to "fix" the REAL Sonic 3 credits theme to sound more professional with the team of composers that worked on Sonic 1 Megamix....so I hope someone feels like tackling such a task :thumbsup:

13. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    In Launch Base 2, as Knuckles, you don't fight the second boss like in S3&K final.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've accessed the Emerald Chamber:

You can't access it in anyway in the 408 beta because you're immediately warped to a special stage, however in this version the chamber works exactly like the final, with a couple differences:

1. The HUD is still present (It's green while playing as Knuckles)
    2. Death Egg Music is playing (This is due to it coming right after the Death Egg Final Boss level slot in the game)
    3. The intro plays every time you enter the chamber
    4. The gray emerald locations don't save after you leave (They reappear after the intro)
    5. The laser zaps all the emerald alters even if you already have that emerald (Although it still shows that you have that emerald)
    6. There is no Super Emerald screen after you beat a special stage

Also, it's interesting to note that there are color differences in the beta, probably changed so they could correspond with the colors of the Chaos Emeralds

Beta:
    [​IMG]

Final:
    [​IMG]

NOTE: I've removed the HUD and sprites from both pictures just so they looked better.

15. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    When Knuckles beats the Hydrocity 2 boss, the egg capsule appears out of nowhere. If he happens to be standing in the area it spawns, well...
    [​IMG]

If you avoid being killed by the egg capsule spawning, moving forward allows you to scroll the screen to the right, and you'll come across a wall. Scrolling to the left is locked, so you can end up off-center.
    [​IMG]

The most peculiar thing about this, is that it does NOT happen in 0408 -- in 0408 it's just like it is in the final, with the egg capsule standing past the boss, and no wall.

This also happens in 0525, but in 0606 it's back to normal.

16. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I think you mean medley rather than melody...

The reason I like it is just because I was expecting a medley at the end of Sonic 3 and was dissapointed when there wasn't one. Yes the transitions do sound rather forced, but I do think I would've preferred it. I think the reason everyone is "OMG" isn't because the medley is peticularly impressive, just it's because it's cool to hear that they did actually have one, and because of the reasons I mentioned above.

If someone had attempted to make this and put it in a hack, I think it would be pretty cool personally, even if it wasn't perfect transitions. I don't think they would've been flamed to hell and back but they might've got some pointers as to what could have been improved. I don't think the transitions are that bad actually at first, just the launch base -> ice cap -> sky sancturary -> flying battery ones peticularly suck.

17. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I agree. IMO, the reason the medley isn't as great as it could have been is because it seems to be unfinished, some of the song transitions are incomplete as opposed to S2 and S&K. I'm sure if they'd not scrapped S3C and kept the ending medley that it would be more impressive. Either that or they would have ran short on time and decided "the transitions between zones suck, let's scrap it).

18. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Does anyone have a MIDI/MP3 of this particular medley available? I'd love to check it out.

19. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Tweaker posted it a few pages back.

20. SonicAD

SonicAD

Oldbie
    There's a bug in Sonic 3 Final in which, if you go to the boss in Hydrocity Act 2 as Super Sonic, Sonic's coloring remains that of Super Sonic after the boss is defeated, and the SS music restarts instead of the Hydrocity. This bug is also found in the 3C 0408 proto, but is resolved by the time of the 0517