don't click here

Ha ha, Mario is in Astal

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Shadow Hog, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    From the Spriters Resource, check the bottom

How long was that sprite rip there...? Ah, well, either way, that was the last thing I expected to see from that game. Now if only I knew specifically how he extracted the graphics from the BIN (what format, etc.), maybe I could start ripping from other Saturn titles I happen to like...?

2. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    That's pretty cool. I have this game and haven't played it in forever. I'm sure there was no way to access this but just a little treat left in by the sprite designer.

3. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    he used tile molester to rip, IIRC.

4. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Curious. I downloaded the tool you suggested and opened the relevant file, but the only thing I can find - using all of the combinations of codec and mode - is an English alphabet, upper and lower case, what I can assume to be the Japanese equivalent (it's Japanese, either way), some 16x16 ball sprites, a weird arrow-looking thing, and then heaps upon heaps of garbage data (as far as this program will interpret it, anyway), that being 1-dimensional 4bpp linear. How he could get any ART from this is, presently, beyond me.

That being said, I will openly admit that I'm probably the last person who should be dabbling into this sort of thing as I really have no idea what I'm doing. :P

Here's the file (APT.BIN), if you care to look into it personally. The text I found starts at 0x000070F0, although you can find solid blocks of color back at 0x00006CF0, one tile for each color on the palette. Damned if I know what any of it means.

5. Zenor

Zenor

Compressed sprites? :\
    I can't say because I don't know what kind of game that is(Saturn, PSX etc).

6. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    It's a Saturn title, and, as far as I knew, tools to rip the graphics for it didn't exist. This guy proved me wrong, somehow. I should probably outright ask him, since Lord knows I'll never figure it out on my own.

7. Zenor

Zenor

APT.bin probably isn't the file - He said he found Mario in it, not Astal.

8. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Yeah, I was looking for Mario. Seemed like a good starting place, since that was the only sprite I explicitly had the location of.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    He also said that was the file he found it in.

10. Zenor

Zenor

And what I said?

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Oh, it wasn't clear to me that he was looking specifically for the Astal sprites instead of the Mario ones.

12. Zenor

Zenor

No, I thought he was looking for Astal sprites, not Mario.

Mario is in Apt.bin, Astal is in a different file.