don't click here

Sonic 1 Pixel Perfect

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by JcFerggy, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Because it's Nova's Birthday today, we're releasing our first beta. So ya, were back again, and we hope this time there won't be too much drama. We have removed everything that wasn't mine or Nova's, and we have continued from there.

Here are some screens…

Title Screen:
    [​IMG]

Angle Lake Zone/GHZ:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Desert Zone (Name pending)/MZ:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other Zones (SYZ, LZ, SBZ):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since last time, we have extended the layouts, added custom loops and tubes, added dynamic palettes for the acts, completed the GHZ layout, and have even edited the GHZ boss.

Here is a video of GHZ for people who don't want to download the beta.
    Youtube Link

And finally, here is our first beta release.
    Sonic 1 Pixel Perfect

Credit to Puto and Psycosk8r for GHZ and MZ music. C&C is welcome as always, but can we forget the troubles that we had before, and not trash this topic with it please.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    <3

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Nope!

Nice job learning to use SonED2 though, I guess.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Seriously, now. I just quickly played GHZ and I really like it. Approaching the Boss arena in GHZ3 was amazing, nice work on that.

I do have some comments for you btw.
    1) You should wait a bit before you scroll down the screen when you press down. This way you avoid to scroll down each time you charge a spin dash;
    2) The 270° loops can give some troubles with the collision if you take them backwards;
    3) The speed shoes actually slow down the music, probably because that GGZ port has a tempo greater than 04 or 05.

These bugs are minor and easily fixable, and the graphics are awesome. This means, keep up the good work :D

5. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    This is some good stuff here. Still loving that desert level art, it's freakin awesome.

edit: Well I found a minor bug in Desert Zone. When I jumped in the giant ring, I was glitched up and stayed there indefinitely.

6. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Nice hack! LZ reminds me of TTZ from SCD and I like the new MZ art..

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'll deliver some crits...

The levels are massive, and the tiles all fit together. This is all good and well, but the levels don't have any definite flow. I keep going and stopping, there's no real speed to it. While Sonic is definitely puzzle-based and a platformer, speed is also a very important aspect to keep in mind. You've shown yourself capable of making new loop tiles, now try and use them to your advantage in making levels that flow better together. Remember that a level should be designed on a much larger scale, and having lots of flat stretch can be a good thing if you prep Sonic to gain speed beforehand. Sonic Rush is a very good example of this - if you don't use all the various speed boosters and gimmicks, the level can take a very long time to complete.

On closer inspection, the art is very... plain. Especially in the desert zone, the bricks are flat and lack a definitive light source. They should be more curved and defined, and the backdrop pattern on the small "cavern" type sections should transition better with the bricks. Be consistent.

8. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    You could at least have had the decency to change the name, since without the work of the other half of the team this is a very different project.

9. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Brilliant! I totally love the graphics you made for angle lake zone.
    This is an excellent and professional hack.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    @Tweaker: I slightly disagree. I never really felt that the original Sonic 1 was intended to be a breakneck-pace game. Granted, you could get through most of the levels rather quickly, but they weren't fast compared to the later games, Marble Zone in particular.

Incidentally, I would say that this is why I find it the hardest game of the series; it requires patience and precision; Sonic 2 had comparatively straightforward levels that you could ALWAYS get through quite quickly if you knew a few tricks.

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone were the slower paced levels. All the other ones were designed with the whole speed thing in mind. It should also be noted at the order that the levels were also placed.

GHZ - Speed
    MZ - Platforming
    SYZ - Speed
    LZ - Platforming
    SLZ - Speed
    SBZ - Gay

Notice the pattern there?

Also, the "tricks" you mention also apply to Sonic 1. Sonic 2's levels were a lot more varied and well designed with multiple paths thanks in part to the bigger levels and two path system. An excellent example of this is Aquatic Ruin Zone.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, there are some, but even replaying Sonic 1 that day I could not perform anywhere near as well as when I play Sonic 2. Maybe I'm just insane and all it is comes from the fact that I started playing Sonic 2 first and only played Sonic 1 later, and I need to play it more get more to grips with it. (Of course, the original level order was completely bizarre, if it did have GHZ followed by LZ and then MZ.)

Also, Sonic 2 had like four mech-type zones and GHZ and HTZ are only slightly more than color swaps, HTZ using a couple extra tilesets.

Just saying that if the game was based on Sonic 1 the gameplay isn't going to always lend itself to the speed that was found in the older games.
    (Anyone else notice that the series seems to get progressively faster with time? SA1 was pretty dang fast as Sonic and then SA2 and SH become insane... and two words, MACH SPEED.)

13. NovaWizard

NovaWizard

M'kay Member
    S1:Megamix & S1:Pixel Perfect
    Minor update, for those who dislike Rapidshare the hack is now up at the wiki, forgot you could upload it there, so thank you whoever added it.
    Wiki link

14. NovaWizard

NovaWizard

M'kay Member
    S1:Megamix & S1:Pixel Perfect
    I'm attempting a new font for the hack, but I'm not really sure what looks best so I was hoping to get some feedback on which people likes the most and/or any ideas.

[​IMG]
    Left is the Sonic 3 font, on the right is the one I've made.

15. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    The one on the right looks best, More original.

16. DNX

DNX

... Eh. Member
    Right pic would be best.

17. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Right one. The left one is just the normal font is it not?

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    For the Sonic 3 end-of-act results screen, yes.

19. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Strange. When I try to play the game with Gens, I just have a black screen.
    What would be the problem?

20. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Is Gens up to date..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.