don't click here

Changes to registration system

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tweaker, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    As you may (or may not) have noticed, registration has slightly changed. Compared to the old system, anyone can now freely register an account; however, this account will be placed in "Pending Membership," in which the account is freely able to edit the wiki and view the boards with guest privileges. If one wishes to "upgrade" their account to trial member, they will be able to pass the test at any time they please, and will gain posting privileges on the forums.

Hopefully this will give new users a choice as to what "side" of Sonic Retro they would rather participate in. Comments and suggestions are appreciated, of course.

2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I personally think Wiki posting should only be granted after one has passed the test, and maybe another test should be made just for Wiki posting, but still not for forum posting.

3. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member

Agreed. We don't want some random guy possibly messing with the Wiki by typing or putting info that's been discussed or has its own article.

4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    But then Wiki Sysops would be useless. D:

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Doesn't bother me—it's the Wiki that'll get the untested users, not here, after all.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Agreed. As long as the forum is clean, it's cool for me.

7. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    Hell, the reason I joined was to post on the wiki. NOW I read this, when I just passed the test on my last chance. Ah well, now I get both privileges. =P

As for Pending Membership users being allowed to post on the wiki, I don't see a problem with it. If it does turn out to be a problem, we can always change it back if we wanted to.

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Well, the problem before was unregistered bots coming in and posting spam. Trial & Pending members shouldn't be a problem.

9. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Ummm.....HELLO! It's a WIKI! Anyone can post on it.
    I mean...that's the point of those things after alll.

10. Thehackery

Thehackery

Newcastle
    Sonic The Hedgehog 1.1 and Sonic The Hedgehog 2.1
    I'm not bothered if the wiki's ruined, that's what Wiki Sysops are there for. I just hope n00bs leave the SCHG how-tos alone.