don't click here

Some important information you all should be in on

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Scarred Sun, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Well, I've got some news: I finally figured out what the problem with the s2beta.com redirection was (misbinding of the domain with its other domain, s2beta.org. I wouldn't recommend using it though, as it's being used to bind to a backup.)

So I guess it's too bad that The Sonic 2 Beta Page isn't going to be around for much longer.

After being proposed to a couple of times, and after some reluctance from myself, Sonic Retro and The Sonic 2 Beta Page will be merging together to become The Sonic 2 Retro Beta. Except for the fact that that's a stupid name, so it'll be simply Sonic Retro.

We'll be keeping these forums (what's currently on Retro will be mostly thrown out, seeing as 90 percent of it's redundant to this board anyway) and converting the Sonic 2 Beta site onto a Sonic 2 Beta-specific namespace on the wiki that will cover the same things this site's been doing. The forum structure will stay near-identical, with a couple of changes: there will now be a Sysop group for non-forum staff to be site staff, and new accounts will be handled differently. From here on out, newly created accounts will work for the wiki side, but you will still need to take the forum test in order to use the account here. I'll also be converting another skin for the site to match the color scheme of Polished Copper, and possibly Super Sonic.

From here, though, I'm leaving the door open—what would you like to see come to this site? For example, I'm still pretty strongly in favor of some form of a CVS, but the last few times that's been attempted there haven't exactly been a groundswell of support. What can you get behind, though?

EDIT: I AM SHITTY AT EXPLAINING THINGS READ ON BEFORE YOU GET ALL TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT

2. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Wait woah, what happened? I'm a little confused on what the problem is exactly.

I would like to point out the irony in that s2beta will be recombining with Sonic Classic, in a sense.

3. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Wait, who's idea was this? This is the first I've heard of it. And just after I've started spending more time on the forum (I've been here at least once a day for the past two and a half weeks, which is more than the previous six months).

I mean, I'm not necessarily against the idea, but I do wish I had been consulted first. And I'm sort of partial to the S2B name, so if there's a way we could keep that active, it would make me happy.

4. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    lol wut

When did this happen?

EDIT: Also I'm leaving once this happens, not that I get on much anymore anyways.

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    This is an unnecessary dilution of the S2B name, and I feel that it amounts to simply neatly erasing S2B's independent name and plastering Sonic Retro's name over it.

If it is really that hard to maintain a hard and fast page which simply gives a thorough explanation of one thing for you, then why not have somebody else do it?

The suddenness and finality with which this news has been announced indicates that the opinion of the people here on the matter does not count, except as far as for suggesting 'new features'. Fine; but don't expect any sympathy from me if anything goes wrong.

6. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    CVS is old, its all about SVN now. Just felt like putting that out there.

7. Skaarg

Skaarg

You're guys decision, but I do feel like you're killing off a great site for Retro's success which may have a great wiki, but that's about it to me.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, my confusion lies here: What are we killing off? We're changing a name. "S2B," the site, will still be completely intact. The content of the forums, as well as the people who use them, are not changing. Trial Membership is still here. The quiz is still here. We're removing the redundancy of having these two giants in the community as two seperate sites, and we're combining our resources in a way that can only benefit both sides.

For those people who use the forum, nothing will change other than the fact that the community will be based upon a wiki in a more integrated fashion, but those who choose to ignore the wiki are free to do so. Hell, even the old skins will still be available - what's the problem here?

9. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    My thought is people don't like it because the proposal is to muscle in a wiki, then dump the site's name which has, which the exception of the SW part, been the same since its conception for a site that's only been around for a short while. I think most would prefer a nick collison tactic here, IE: older nick overrules the newer nick.

10. 16BT

16BT

Drop out boy. Oldbie
    None that regard this place.
    I said it when before SHD was absorbed into Retro and I'll say it again. Unless you want this site digested (literally; taken in, then excreted out) DO NOT MEREGE WITH SONIC RETRO.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, I figure that's reasonable. The only problem, however, is that a wiki covering various Sonic-related aspects with a name that implies strictly Sonic 2 Beta-related content doesn't make much sense. Sonic Retro, as a name, in my opinion, implies the same focus that we adopt here (Retro Sonic stuffs, hacking, research, etc), and doesn't really restrict the content we can adopt.

I mean, if we could get away without changing the name, I wouldn't mind. But it's a bit hard to do that, as you can see. :P

What I can say about this is that Retro and SHD had widely conflicting communities with different focuses that didn't work out. Retro, as it is now, is much more suited to the S2B community; so much, in fact, that they may as well be the same. That's the idea here.

12. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Make the Wiki a sub-section then? It can't be too hard to make a retro.s2beta.com.

13. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    So basically, we'll be Glowing Bridge except not for newfags.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You could say Glowing Bridge was us for newfags :P It's not really a valid comparison.

15. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Yeah, GB was started by a british guy, case closed.

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    And it isn't now?

17. 16BT

16BT

Drop out boy. Oldbie
    None that regard this place.
    You may have a point there, as Retro was Classic which was S2B before that which is this now, but I still have the feeling it won't work out well. But seeing as I have no staff power here, you could run it into the ground for all I care.

18. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Nope, lately its just been soti trying to bandodge.

19. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Same thing. Also quote pyramid.

20. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Do not want

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.