don't click here

Steve Woita contacted, any questions?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    So I contacted Steve Woita a while ago and I keep putting this off but enough is enough. I'll be emailing him soon, so if any of you have any questions, feel free to ask.

He worked on Sonic 2, during the last month if I understand correctly.

2. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Fancy. What'd he do?

3. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Just ask if there was anything of particular interest that got the cut (other than stuff we know about, already). You'll probably want to phrase that better, and be more specific about what we already know.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Maybe this is already know, but I'd like to know if they were planning to release a flying Tails at a certain point of the development. Maybe it was one of those features scrapped because they were starting to get rushed, probably because they were thinking at the controls they could use. If you see, in Sonic Chaos (the first game with a flying Tails), the keys used to control him are much different (press UP+A and then fly in straight lines simply pressing the D-pad). Maybe they weren't sure and waited until Sonic 3 to develop Tails' flying style. I'd like to know more.

5. CloverCC

CloverCC

Really, I'd like to know a few things about the Death Egg. Was it originally intended to use the CPz tile set? Because I was looking through the Tiles for CPz in the Wai Beta, and I don't really see anything 'death egg' in there. No earth, or anything. Also, was the Death Egg truly meant to have 2 acts? What we have in the final is just a small strip of it. The Death Egg song in the Wai beta sounds like it was meant for an actual level, because of its' length and all. I mean, when I first got up to the Death Egg in Sonic 2, I barely had the chance to listen to the song, as I would just step into the first boss arena. And obviously, Alot has been done with the DEz song between beta and final. It really sounds like they did a lot of work on it, and I don't really see into working all that hard for a song you'll probably hear for 4 seconds and then doing a boss fight. I just want to know.. What's up with the Death Egg? Was there originally a different concept for it? What went on through the Death Egg planning? This has been something that's been bothering me since I was 7 or 8. I'd really like to know everything there ever was about the Death Egg.

6. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    You should ask him if he remembers himself or anyone scrapping HPZ, and what the process was like. I'm genuinely curious as to how it was done.

7. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    It would be a bit easier to think of questions to ask if I knew exactly what he worked on... Although, I'm a bit curious as to why exactly they decided to scrap Hidden Palace Zone and Wood Zone as well. I wonder if there was anything removed from the game that we don't know about yet? o_O

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wood Zone was probably scrapped because it sucked. Hidden Palace was likely scrapped due to time constraints, NOT space constraints - it's obvious they fully intended for the zone to be in the final version of the game.

So yes, I suppose a concrete reason for HPZ in particular being scrapped would be what the majority of us would like to know. I have a feeling I've got it close, though.

9. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Ask him about the Title Screen. Was it changed cause it was too similar to Sonic 1?

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I'm betting they scrapped the title screen in favor of the new one because the new one was so awesome in comparison. It was so much cooler to have the sparkle effects as Sonic and Tails popped up instead of watching a still image of them against a scrolling EHZ background.

But HPZ is far more interesting. What I'm most curious about is why they didn't work on it at all from our Nick Arcade-era alpha to the final build.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I already contacted that guy a long time ago...

12. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    Ah, good to know. Well, I have some things I would like to ask him anyway :P

13. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Seeing as Woita worked both on S2 and Spinball, and we know that parts of S2 got moved into Spinball, ask in some way what scraps were taken and how that all came about.

14. Robjoe

Robjoe

Just out of curiosity, what might those things be?

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    If he's single LOL LOL LOL ROFFLE

16. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    He's married. I've met his wife, she's very nice!

drx, not that I think you will, but don't hassle him about unreleased games. I've been talking to him on and off for about five years now, he's aware of fan demand.

17. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    I'm not the type who hassles developers for LOLZ BETAS, really =P

I usually like to hear if they have any interesting stories about their work and things like that. Developers have some crazy stories sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.