don't click here

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Debug rom

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by dorfd1, Jul 2, 2007.

1. dorfd1

dorfd1

[PA Dodger] Banned
    http://z64.emedian.net/logo.php?id=dbg_main

The game's debug mode is a lot more extensive than the one in sonic the hedgehog.

you can play with the camera, record demos, interupt cutscens, it has a built in memory editor, an equipment and item editor, map select with test maps, and you can test the game's sound system in many ways.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    What the hell is this? An advertisement?

But obvioulsy a debug mode for that game should contain features like that...

and don't compare it to StH debug, they are two differnet games played in completely different ways...

3. dorfd1

dorfd1

[PA Dodger] Banned
    Since it is the master quest version I am wondering why there are test maps in a recent version of the game. The map select code for the orignal Ocarina of Time did not give you access to test maps.

sorry for the double post my submit modified post button disapeared.

4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Yeah, you only get a short time to edit posts as a trial member... :)

5. dust hill resident

dust hill resident

Oldbie
    London
    Making music
    Oh man! DENIS. It's incredible seeing that test room available in the final game... I remember seeing that test room in beta screenshots many years ago.

As for why the test rooms are in this recent version, they probably just included all the source materials straight up, since it was a test version. In the original version, since cartridge space was more limited, they would put more effort into cutting out useless parts. But I dunno.

6. You guys wouldn't believe the amount of shit still in this game. Ever since the Zelda 64 Beta community got their hands on their ROM, they've been tearing it to pieces and STILL finding more and more lost in the game. They might have even found one of the earliest testing dungeons, or a part of it anyway - from a really early beta screenshot of Link in some dark hallways. I only wish the Zelda 64 Beta community was as well organized and informative as this one. I'm actually considering building a community site based on the design of this one to help get the Zelda 64 Beta people up on their feet more.

7. Vangar

Vangar

Link to said community? Also, 404'd on the link.

8. Well the site has actually gone down recently. It was called Zelda's Secret Ocarina (ZSO). It was one of the bigger hubs of Zelda 64 hacking. Allegedly, it was brought down because two hackers (I won't say their names, but I will say that knowing them, this might've been a bit justified) has black-mail on the site owner, and had him take the site down or threatened to use their info against him. A shame, but it further pushes my desirer to make a Zelda hacking community much like Sonic Retro.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    hahahaha, "Link" to the community....

;P

10. xdaniel

xdaniel

Correction on the status of ZSO: the main site's up, the Zelda Coalition forums and IRC server were taken down by MN (MNGoldenEagle, founder of ZSO) a few days ago because of - once again - threats of some kind... That's one damn curse of us, it seems - the current forums are their 3rd incarnation, the previous ones being killed by various hackers/backdoor exploiters.

What's "left" right now, besides ZSO itself, would be this wiki here: http://www.64.vg/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    The bad thing about the site is that it's never updated. Things have been said that could've led to great things but are left undocumented. There's a wiki up which contains some of the information that we used for about 3 years. You can go to http://www.64.vg/wiki to check it out, but don't go to the other parts of the website since they're more personal. One of the great things about ZSO is watching progress on this: http://www.64.vg/wiki/index.php?title=Utility_of_Time

UoT is a progam I watched developement over for about a year now. With the knowledge we have today, we probably couldn't have got near being able to do this. Editing is begining to become equal to editing SM64, and since the programmer isn't that much of a hard ass it's very easy to make a suggestion and see it get made. It's still being worked on as I speak, and hopefully will bring a better crowd to the site. :)

But anyway, back on subject.

The rom itself isn't really that old, but it's sure as hell hasn't spread as far as I would've liked it. I think some rom sites (goodn64 has it, I know that much) finally has it in. It took a while, but it's definately one rom that you couldn't get without being able to work at Nintendo (Japan, but this came from Europe so there's a difference somewhere). The rom comes complete with a nice list of source file references that you could look at for entertainment. There're many beta models in this game (since this build has internal names for objects and maps, it's easy to rip those and turn them into files you can look at) some surprising, some strange. There are also 10 extra maps not compiled in any other version, and they are some of the popular maps from when the game was called "Zelda64".

12. xdaniel

xdaniel

btw: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=39103 - for the Utility of Time thread at Emutalk

btw2, evilhamwizard: I disregard that PM and still think that - after that post of yours - I don't have a reason to say "STFU & GTFO" anymore :)

13. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I edited, sry, still like you though. :) my chaotix buttfriend.

You have to imagine what kind of stuff's been in OoT the entire time. The "Blue Fairy" (great fairy place holder model) is still inside the game, as well as some other things I have to look for now. Maybe xdaniel has a better memory than me, but I have seen what has been shown at ZSO since it started kicking around 2002/2003. I actually came to ZSO because I heard about it from RattleMan since he posted a link in that old "sonic 1 betaa" hoax topic (hi rattleman :P).

14. xdaniel

xdaniel

Let's see what findings I can still remember... some might be buried somewhere on ZSO, some not, dunno... some might be insignificant, whatever...

- the Blue Fairy, as evilhamwizard (what a damn long name you've got here) already posted about
    - many leftover Object Sets - which contain the layout of the interactive objects, nowadays known as Actors, on a map, among other things - from earlier stages of development, some implying changes in the map geometry, like one from Kokiri Forest
    - other unused Actors of varying interest, líke the Starfox Arwing (a more widespread one), the red ice platform in the Ice Cavern's beta Object Set which ended up being used in Master Quest, etc.
    - a few debugging features still left in the final builds (performance indicators for one)

...there was other stuff too, but... well, my memory's failing me now as well...

15. There was that girl from the very early beta shots. I think CoolisCool found her Geometry but her texture coordinates were severely fucked up. Not sure how far along he got into restoring her.