don't click here

Official PROSONIC Topic

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by saxman, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Agreed, mostly because, in tandem with nineko's suggestion, it could make for one hell of a unique experience.

I'd already worked out the basics of the gimmick in my head, even... running around any curve will alter the direction of gravity to match your normal, unless the curve happens to have a right angle in it somewhere (ie: it's perpendicular to the floor you're on, or parallel to your normal); if it's a right angle such that a wall is in your way, then it acts like a normal wall (ie: you push on it); if it's a right angle such that there's a pit, you would fall into the pit instead of wrapping over onto the resulting cliffside. Obviously it can't be that simple, as there are varying angles to think of (for instance, what if the angle of a slope is tall enough that you shouldn't be able to scale it, yet it isn't a right angle), and momentum'd be a pain (since you can't count on using gravity and curves to build it up necessarily), but I'd be willing to try it out.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    A rotation feature can be used to make puzzle based platforming levels or even games. If I could only remember the name of the game where a similiar feature was used I would use it as an excellent example since it was a pretty unique and tricky puzzle that was done thanks to the rotating level. I'm pretty sure it was for the Super Nintendo and it was a Donald Duck game developed by a company that wasn't Capcom.

It was a pretty awesome puzzle too.

3. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Hmm, well there certainly seems to be a lot of people who would potentially use the feature. So I'll consider adding it in.

With that feature, the engine would have X, Y, Z, and R? Or A maybe? Whatever you would call it. On my dad's CNC mill, a rotatory axis is labeled 'A' (mainly just to give it something to reference to).

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Just a quick mockup:
    [​IMG]

Basically, something that allows the stage rotation (as in Sonic 1 special stage) AND gravity on any axis.

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    There's a Z? Hmm, maybe I should re-read the specs, must've missed that.

Well, there was Super Castlevania IV's "rotating room"... no Donald Duck in sight, though. Plus it wasn't that complicated a puzzle.

6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Rotation and walk on any axis... insane! But I will probably attempt to support it. It would be very complicated to code I'm sure, but it's an interesting concept.

Oh and yes ProSonic has a Z camera value. It's in the second ProSonic video I linked to. Check the first post in the topic for the link.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Castlevania's rotating room is a pretty bad example of what I'm trying to get at here. The Donald Duck game had an entire level that rotated. The only way to get out was to figure out how to use the rotation to find different routes in the maze. Kind of hard to explain, but the game is called Donald Duck Mahou No Boushi, and it's for the SNES.

I don't know, it just seems like a really cool thing to have.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    ProSonic 2008 deadline has been axed. The new deadline is "when it's done". Read my blog for more information.

9. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    For the interest of Sonic 2 beta forum members, I have posted the comments from Saxman's blog here:

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Don't forget that this project aims to be as close to the original games as possible. This requires people with really extensive knowledge of how the games work, and you're only going to find people like that within this community; passing the project around on Sorceforge or whatever probably wouldn't do much good.

That, and Sax already mentioned elsewhere that he could use some help programming objects and such, so it's not like he's opposed to the idea or anything.

11. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Several people have suggested Source Forge, but I feel that is a mistake. If there is to ever be a team, it must be under my supervision. I don't trust the project being on Source Forge. I think people will try to take the engine in a direction that I don't invision. That would then hurt my reputation is the kinds of things I've been talking about aren't delivered to satisfactory.

My biggest problem is how lazy people are. I'm not going to go around pointing fingers, but I think it's absolutely fair to say that nobody will care as much about the project as I do. I mean it's mine... I started it, I've worked hard on it... I care a "lot" how it turns out. Nobody else has been involved in ProSonic, and therefore nobody can truly understand how important it is to me that it become the engine I have pushed for. I could ask around and get people to volunteer, but 90% of anyone who responds and offers to do hard work won't deliver. I've learned that lesson over and over again in all the years I've been around this community. I don't need to learn it again because I already know that will once again be the result. I still haven't got a sprite editor. It appears that the only way a sprite editor will ever come about is if I do it. It's not as if everyone is busy all day long. Some people are understandably, but certainly not everyone.

I think instead of people throwing away money on unfinished game cartridges, they should contribute to help "employee" people to finish ProSonic (if it comes to a point where I need a team). That is what would really make people 'want' to put out hard work. You have to be pretty darn generous to do it for free. So I guess the point I'm trying to make here is I'm not going to ask for volunteers. I'm waiting for people to step up to the plate and offer to me what they would like to do for ProSonic. Not now as I said because I'm not ready to have a team, but if it comes to that point, that's what I expect. Otherwise the project will be doomed and will fade into nothingness. That's really the cold hard truth =/

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Saxman, I would like to speak to you about possibly helping with PROSONIC.

Do you have AIM or anything?

13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Well again it would only be a future possibility. But you can contact me on AIM under 'ymtx81z'.

P.S. If anyone wants to discuss ROM hacking, please seek discussion elsewhere. I'm ROM hacked-out and don't care about it!

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    People still bother you about that? I thought everybody flocked to asking StephenUK? :P

15. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    I know I flat-out failed in helping provide a flagship for testing and demonstration, but...

I'm still very interested in the ProSonic project, and if there's anything I can do to lend a hand to it, I'd like to help out.

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I'm looking for someone willing to design editing utilities. Level editor, tile editor, sprite editor, etc. Anyone interested? I would like the editor to be either DOS or Windows... cross-platform if you choose, but I need to be able to run the darn thing, that's the most important part.

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Definitely love to give it a shot, you know my IM, Saxman, just hit me up.

18. Damizean

Damizean

As classic as rock Member
    Valencia, EspaƱa
    Various projects
    If you want to use a RAD tool to create the editors, you could give a try with RealBASIC; wich is basically a clone of Visual Basic but allows to create cross platform applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.