don't click here

'Perfect bonus' in sonic 2?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dust hill resident, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dust hill resident

dust hill resident

Oldbie
    London
    Making music
    Hello everyone.

I was playing around with Sonic 2, and decided to see what would happen if I completed both acts of the leftovers of the hidden palace zone. (using the end of level animal container thing which you can place using debug, which ends the act).
    Then at the end of act 2, I noticed that it showed a "perfect bonus" item in the score countdown thing. I don't remember ever seeing that before in sonic 2. Does this ever show up in normal circumstances in the game?

[​IMG]

2. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Yeah, it shows up if you get every single ring in a level. Since HPZ2 is empty, 0 rings is "every single ring in the level" :P

3. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    BTW, it's impossible to have a "perfect" bonus in every single act of Sonic 2. At least in OOZ, some rings remains inside the wall... leftovers from the Beta version. You can do this in EHZ quite easily if you have time. I always make sure that you can obtain all rings in the levels I made while hacking too =P

4. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I've done this quite a bit of times at Emerald Hill and Hill Top Zones Act 1.

5. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Wow, I never knew about that. Crazy. Then again, I don't go ring hunting often.

6. That's gay with OOZ. They couldn't even bother to make all the rings obtainable.

7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Levels are designed by humans. You can't even easily spot the rings.

8. Rolken

Rolken

Tech Member
    There's also a couple levels where you can't get perfect just because there's no possible route to take you through every ring.

Judging from the score records, Hill Top 2, Mystic Cave 2, Oil Ocean 2, Metropolis 2, and Metropolis 3 Knux seem to be unobtainable.

9. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Eh, Mystic cave 2 should be pretty easy...

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Death Egg Zone is easy. But it doesn't count the points D:

11. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    Wow, I've had this game for almost my entire life, and I don't think I ever knew about the "Perfect Bonus" before.

12. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Did not know this at all. Old to some, new to me. I would have tried to do a 'perfect' run in S2 had some of you not made it clear that you can't, without debug, anyway.

13. I made a topic about this 3 years ago under my former alias. At the time, I've never got a perfect score in any of the games except for Sonic 3, where I only got it in the special stage. That made me figure that hidden palace was supposed to be a special stage, so I posted my 'discovery'. Of course, I was an idiot. But aside from all that bullshit, it's nice to see that not everyone knew about this, and it's also nice to see no one jump all over someone for posting something old.

14. I saw it in hpz: s2 as well - I always presumed it was a beta hangover of some sort - nice to know what causes it :(

btw where are those beta rings in ooz?

15. mecha meatwad

mecha meatwad

Yea, I've seen the Perfect Bonus before.

guess they decided that if the player saw it once,they'd try to play the whole game and get the perfect bonus everytime. (which as we know, OOZ is imperfect).

16. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Uh... I'm not sure I know what you mean here. Perfect Bonus is just extra points you get for getting every ring in a level, that's all.

17. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    He means it's impossible to get a perfect in every zone up to Metropolis due to rings being placed outside the visible playing area (for example - out of physical reach inside solid walls) of one or two zones. Oil Ocean is one of the zones where grabbing every ring is impossible due to the ring placement situation. So it would be a waste of time for any player to try and attain the perfect bonus in each act, so they'd have to be content with the odd attainment of the bonus.

18. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    That only proves one little thing: in 1992, they hadn't tested the game well, up to try to get the perfect bonus in every level.

19. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Either that or, it was meant to be an easter egg, since there is no mention of it anywhere outside of the game itself.

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Am I the only one who first got the Perfect Bonus OUTSIDE Hidden Palace? Seriously, the first time I got it was in EHz1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.