don't click here

What's a happen

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sazpaimon, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    http://www.s2beta.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9093

2. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    that also works.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Oh, Jesus Christ.

4. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    What's that supposed to mean? If you have any problems with me being admin or something, I suggest you say it outright.

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

Yeah, I know I'm using up quite a few Trial Posts with things that people are probably just going to ignore. Unless this gets resolved, there's no point in having Trial Posts to use anyway, so here it goes.

On both iterations of S2beta, Tweaker is now a Tech Member rather than an Admin. This seems to have been enough to at least bring the Tweaker-haters back to Qjimbo's S2beta. Aside from Qjimbo being an admin no longer at the original S2beta, the main reason for Qjimbo's S2beta is dealt with. Do you prefer two versions of one board with a split community, or one board after an adminship retooling? Some people hate Qjimbo for abusing power to get rid of Tweaker, and others hate LocalH because he de-admined Qjimbo for that reason. There has to be some sort of compromise in here somewhere that makes almost everyone happy.

This place has survived a lot of stuff in the past, but it can't survive a complete division without forever sacrificing the community revitalization the split hoped to create. A split S2beta is only going to cause more problems than it solves. If everyone thinks what I've been saying is idiotic, let me know so I can shut up and you can work this stuff out on your own.

6. I wouldn't make more of this than it is on its own. To my knowledge, there's only a very few members who are going to frequent Qjimbo's .org site exclusively, and that number is composed mostly of those members who had already left the original site because they didn't like the changes the site was going through over time. This division isn't as huge as some people are trying to make it seem.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    OK, but I don't. :(

8. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Oh okay, nevermind then :P

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

Well, my point was that the two versions of the board would be stronger together than apart. Some of the people who left due to Tweaker's adminship are back at Qjimbo's place. Qjimbo kept taking about how the board is better now because of it. If something was worked out, we'd have one board with everyone together in one place, and S2beta would at least be closer to that unattainable image of perfection everyone wanted.

Yes, this post is a bit late. I blame computer trouble. I didn't edit my previous post because the default board settings put it on an older page, where most wouldn't see it. Plus, I only have a few posts left to prove myself one way or the other (something I'm not doing a good job of right now), and I'm not going to cheat past this by essentially making a free extra post.

10. The problem, as I see it, is that even if we were to get everyone on one board again, the same people would just end up leaving again, because some people just plain don't get along. Just having everyone in one place again wouldn't make everything better on its own - I'm not even sure if "making everything better" is possible at all. Let's remember that these two groups we have on our hands now started as one, and then seperated. Even if you forced them back together, they'd just seperate again.

11. Tylinos

Tylinos

Last time I checked, most of them left due to administrative decisions that they disliked. No administration is perfect. People will leave the community whether there is one board, two boards, or even more. Even in the world itself, we have the same problem. A country splits due to differences, people take sides. Aside from that, there are also those who leave one country for another just to discover that the leadership there is just as bad as where they came from. Plus, a split community hinders progress, especially with hacking and research.

12. I'm not so sure about that last bit - with the amount of people who seem comfortable using both boards, myself being one of them, I should think that news, discoveries, and information should spread between the two boards with no problems. Of course, that's even assuming that this place of Qjimbo's actually lasts - Vangar already tried something like this, and it didn't work out.

13. Tylinos

Tylinos

Yeah, it could work like that for those of us that are fine with the split and post at both places, but there are going to be people who would refuse to look at (or at least refuse to post at) one of the two, even if Qjimbo's version fails. Even if it did fail and people who were loyal to it came back here, there would be those would harbor anger toward them for crawling back only when the alternative failed. It's not that I don't see what you mean, because I agree with your main point. It's just that I don't believe it would work nearly as well as just one S2beta would.

I'm going to shut up now. I don't want to use up all of my posts holding a difference-of-opinion argument when I might need to say something more important later. Sorry for bothering you.

14. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    ...Don't really understand the whole situation, but I don't really care so long as the place is run as normal again.

All I can really see is that we've got two clones here: S2Vangar, and S2Qjimbo... seems kinda like we're going through the protestant reformation all over again, only tieing those events to S2Beta.

15. I'm not bothered. XD Nah, seriously man, you're cool. And I agree with you that one, unified website would be better, all I'm saying is it's not going to be detrimental if that never comes to be.

16. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I don't think this side of the split allowed the other to be created willingly. Therefore, it is their problem if their idea of running a stolen copy of S2B fails to succeed in 'revitalizing' the community.

The way I see this, this is a China-Taiwan situation, and we're China. (In a good way, and maybe some of the bad ways, but mostly the good ones)

17. Oh, oh. I think that was a bit of a threat, wasn't it? This is getting quite good, now.

I'm not exactly a fan of the way Tweaker used to behave as the administrator of this board, but I feel the way this is being handled and now is far more ridiuclous and childish than any of Tweaker's trespasses. Everything I've read on this so far has been the epitome of Internet being "serious business."

Additionally, I think Sazpaimon was an awful choice for the new administrator. Not just because I think he's a bit of a twat who tries way too fucking hard to be PACHUKA Jr., but also because he already has a large community he should worry about managing. I imagine he will either become overwhelmed and give up on either this or Sonic CulT or both, or just leave one or both to stagnate. He's kind of already done that with Sonic CulT, I think.

Of course, I'm not exactly "on the inside" with any of this, so I'm sure you'll all scream at me because I "don't understand" or whatever. But I doubt my observations and opinions are terribly far off.

18. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Hardly, I just feel if someone has a problem with me, they should bring it up with me directly, rather than bottle it up.

I'll have to agree, but I'm actually trying to get everything back to normal, rather than seeing a constant shit slinging contest

Cute, but I can pretty much tell you right now that that won't be the case here.

That's a concern I have to deal with myself. However I can pretty much accept that Sonic CulT can run on its own perfectly alright, as long as I stay proactive in it and keep everything up to date. S2Beta, on the contrary, seems to be the opposite, in my experience that is, as it teeters on the brink of complete collapse every so often. But I think if I actually commit myself, I can make this community great again.

Basically all I'm saying is to give it a chance and see how it works out. If it doesn't, I'll take full responsibility, and probably never hear the end of it, so I wanna try my hardest to make sure that that doesn't happen.

19. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    This is really quite the exercise in pointlessness.

See, one of the beautiful things about the Internet is that we're all publishers of anything we want. As a result, we have choices. Gasp! Because this publisher, Local H, wants things in a certain way, if you don't, you're free to publish your own site! In fact, just in the Sonic research scene alone, there are at least a half-dozen boards for you to congregate on!

S2B, imo, is for serious business. And the "whiners" want the lulz. There are plenty of lulz-tastic places to get that. Hell, there are places dedicated SOLELY to the lulz. But understand: that's not part of the general mission here.

As I understand it, the people who freaked out and thought they weren't going to make it past the retest were going to anyway and Qjimbo already has a few Sonic sites of his own (s68ktech, srz, etc.), so why didn't Jim just promote his own site instead of stooping down to steal another one? Christ.

And to anyone who whines S2Vangar, let me just say personally I knew nothing of it until it was being mocked at CulT, so this brings up an important point: you actually have to put some fucking effort into your work if you want anyone to visit. Shock. Horror. Something kids with InvisionFree boards never quite seem to learn.

20. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Ok, here's the deal.

I'm sick and tired of fucking arguing and screaming my ass off (metaphorically speaking) in IRC. So I made a deal. Jim is going to be proactive in reworking the site content and branding so as not to be a direct rip of this one. In return, I am not going to make a fuss about him using the content and branding in the interim. After he's rebranded, I wish him nothing more than the best of luck, and even will offer to affiliate with him. I just want things to end amicably without this shitstorm dragging on and on and on forever and ever.

Although, as has been said, I was completely justified in being as mad as I was. I'm cooled down now, though.