don't click here

What's a happen

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sazpaimon, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    So, anyone that was on the forums last night knows what happened. I'm not gonna pretend it didn't happen. For those just attending the classroom, Qjimbo basically tricked Tweaker into forcefully deadminning him in hopes to oust him from the forums completely. Now, as much as I didn't have any problem with this, LocalH did. I took it upon myself to "save" S2B by restoring it from my own personal backup, March 17th 2007.

Now, let's get down to brass tax.
    I don't like Tweaker; not a lot of people do. So when he asked me to help him out with S2Beta, I naturally didn't care. He offered me a deal. He would step down from his admin position, and I would replace him as admin. LocalH agreed to this, so the motion was put into place.

In my todo list given to me by LocalH, he wanted Qjimbo fired. I've followed through by de-modding Qjimbo. LocalH may deal with him later. The other "offenders," you know who you are, may be dealt with as well.

Anyway, many of you are thinking, "Why Saz? He's an asshole who doesn't care what happens to the site." O'Contraire. I DO care what happens to this site, it was my first home in the Sonic Community dating back to the beginning of the millenium. It pains me to see what it's becomming and what is being done, or not done, in many cases, about it. I want to do whatever I can to maintain some form of order and stability, without completely taking away your rights as members. Does that mean "run rampant and post whatever you damn well please?" No. There are limitations to everything. But I am not going to get on your case if you decide to add a little off-topicness to the current topic. Random zanyness is ok, just as long as you don't go overboard or if it's really uncalled for. I'm not going to be a complete assholic hardass, and no, this forum will not become a Sonic CulT 2. I know I'm generally not liked for the way I conduct buisiness, but trust me, I AM capable of running a message board free of abuse.

So why did I troll the site in the first place? That's a toughie. The best way I can explain it is that then the site wasn't my problem to deal with, and "because I could." I basically came to realize I could do whatever I please without repercussions due to the incompetence of the administration. Well now this site IS my problem, and I'm gonna do my damnest to deal with it.

LocalH might decide to add his input in later, but I've said my piece, and I hope I can do better than Tweaker did. If you still don't think that I can be a capable admin, you're free to leave, and come back later to see if you were right or not. You might be pleasantly surprised.

2. Wow, talk about Internet drama. :|

3. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    "Au contraire." :P

4. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Damn you google and your inferior spell checking

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

It's time for the obligatory input from some guy you've never heard of before.

From what I can see from the sparce details Saz just gave, Qjimbo tricked Tweaker in hopes of getting him Misfitted. The thing he did isn't really clear from what you said. Qjimbo somehow tricked Tweaker into demoting him so he could get him banned for abuse of power? Anyway, so then you took up a deal with Tweaker to become Admin in his place, yeah?

Alright, now that I've cleared that that up for myself, I'll stop repeating Saz and get to my point. I may not know all of what was going on, but it doesn't seem like we should be too concerned over the change-up. I'm not worried. It may not seem like it, but I've been around here for a long time before I registered an account, so I've seen this place survive a lot of drama...and stuff. Stuff like this is always going to happen, no matter who's in charge. That said, I've never been bothered much by the way this place has been run (aside from a few mishaps), and I don't have a reason to think it'll be any worse now. With that, good luck, 'n stuff.

That's all for my worthless comment on everything. Go back to whatever you were doing before I interrupted.

6. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I didn't go into details, but for the new among us I shall.
    S2Beta was hosted under my dedicated server since it's conception (post Simon). Recently I formatted my server and reinstalled it from scratch. During this time Tweaker saw the opportunity to move it off my server, because he didn't like the way I was hosting the site (I abused my power rampantly, showed a general disregard for the wellbeing of the site, and generally didn't care [see why in OP]), Qjimbo offered hosting on his server, but what he was really doing was scheming to remove Tweaker from the site alltogether, and run it himself. He was initially sucessful, but LocalH retaliated and the site finds itself back onto my server.

Hope that clears it up.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    God speed, Saz. Hope you don't fuck us all over. ;P

Here's to a hopefully brighter future.

8. Tylinos

Tylinos

I hate to use up another post, but my edit time's up, and an edit would've been awkward here anyway. Right, enough of my excuses.

I knew about you hosting S2Beta, but I thought Tweaker said that he was moving it because of the Cult's downtime last week. Whatever the reason, I just hadn't known about Qjimbo's offer, so I think that clears it up for me. Hopefully that's all I have to say for a while, so I'll stop bothering everyone now.

9. Gen

Gen

This is halloween! This is halloween! Member
    The Mobius Engine
    Dammit to hell, I had regular member status too :P

10. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Well, that was a unique turn of events.

11. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Does anybody have a backup of that hugeass thread called "I'm leaving" where this shit was pretty much laid out? I?pretty?much missed what happened?there after 3AM GMT, since I had to sleep and all that.

EDIT: Oh, and bring the IRC back plz.

12. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Qjimbo would have that somewhere. As far as IRC goes, the DNS is still propogating, so for now, connect via IP: 82.165.156.230

13. I too would be interested in seeing a backup copy of the second "I'm Leaving" thread, the one started by Pu7o.

I have to say I didn't think from the start that LocalH would take to this "revolution" idea very kindly, and when I saw him online last night, I pretty much figured something like this would happen. I'm glad to see that this whole nasty situation is resolved, at least, one way or the other.

14. Skaarg

Skaarg

I'm sure I'm going to be one of the few that come in here and say this after what happened, but despite the whole mess last night it was nice around here with the good old community members.

Maybe what happened last night with the whole website takeover was not exactly, but I do feel Qjimbo, GW, Quickman, Shade, and Fiz are right and we do need some change. De-admining Tweaker was something that many members wanted from the start when the website was handed down from Simon. I really think the administration should open up and listen to what they had to say because you obviously didn't before, and you paid the price.

If you notice too many members supported what Qjimbo and his group did. So this further proves that many members here want change.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    "Too many"? Or just a select group? Do choose your words wisely, good sir.

In the end, it matters what LocalH, Saz and Hivebrain decide - not you guys. Maybe he'll lend more of an ear than I did, so I dunno.

And remember: An old community member isn't necessarily the best, just because they've been around long. Seniority is worth respect, but only if it isn't abused in such a way that it becomes detrimental to others.

As for me being de-admined... I probably could've stayed as admin if I truly wanted to, but realize that I DON'T - the majority of you are too fucking dense for me to want to watch over anymore.

Once again, remember - this board IS a dictatorship. This isn't S2Vangar, and for the love of god, it better not ever become it. What they decide is what happens.

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

16. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    I'll just say that what happened last night could be described, at best, utterly retarded.

I'm suprised LocalH or Tweaker didn't just get their own server instead of coming back here.. but oh well, whatever. At least now he know how I felt recently...

17. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I, for once, welcome the new adminship overlords.

18. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I don't really get this either:

The only people that wanted Tweaker De-admined were the few that whined and then had to announce they were leaving.

Anyway at least the site is back to normal, it is definatly in a better state than it was 2 or 3 years back.

19. WTF...I'm a Trial Member again...can someone just make me a Member again?

20. Rainer

Rainer

I can say the entire timeline of the event probably went like this: The server gets attacked, Qjimbo declares himself ruler of the universe, and all hell is broken out, and the next day a MySQL backup is loaded and everything is fine. Even though as much as I detest the above actions, all of this was probably a result of diplomacy failing to work issues out, and them not wanting to take actions further. Despite the non-diplomatic actions, many actions were taken to improve this community after Qjimbo's rebellion, but these changes were made to avoid the worst that would come out of these actions, which would lead to a Spam-for-all forum that would quickly die due to no defining purpose. The point I'm trying to make is-- when enough people disagree with your motives, a rebellion is bound to occur, and that it's really good to pay attention to the "Unpopular" ruler to make sure that the proper precautions can be taken to avoid this shit. Although I can't pinpoint exactly where this began, but I'll begin to speculate based on past modding and chats that have filled the gap before the rebellion, and post my humble view of the events.

For the longest time, I've bitched to Tweaker about his administrative decision, and I've been unpleasant with the way he was running the board, although I've chatted with him and made him an internet friend later on, I was still holding quite a bit of animosity towards the way he was running the board. However, sometime later in the course, mainly around the time Qjimbo was becoming an administrator, I've noticed a bunch of reoccurring once-dead issues that were being brought to light, with the banning of Kamikaze being probably the focus of discussion. At first, being the paranoid freak-on-a-leash I am, I began to look at Qjimbo under a negative light, almost nervous if such a thing would happen. I think about five days later, or yesterday, the site was "Hacked" and Tweaker announced his leaving from the community. despite what the notice said, I took the liberty to go and AIM him to ask him about shit. Later on when I was taking about the post he made, he then mentioned a very peculiar detail-- he never made one. When this fact came to mind, I immediately went and posted details on the boards. Afterwards people were posting about cocks and I then bitched to Qjimbo on the PM system, since he seemed to know a lot of what was happening, and I made him a modest proposal: Unban Tweaker and let him decide if he wants to leave or stay. After the reply, he then began to list all of the good things that were happening since his "Leave", and I've jumped to the conclusion that Jim banned him. When I posted the lovely little PM, the drama officially began. I can't say what happened afterwards exactly, but I know that it involved spamming and flaming from all sides. Afterwards, I went to bed and then woke up to arrive to this topic.

Looking back at hindsight, the people who were responsible had a right to be pissed off, but how they did it, was horribly and childishly executed. I, for one, have a new faith for the new administration, and I hope that we can all forget this shit and move on.

Wow, I said a mouthful, and if it sounds rather jumbled, it's because I'm still half-asleep. Stupid Spring Break. =P