don't click here

So, um, yeah... announcing my sonic game

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Cooljerk, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    er, I'm not making a hack. I'm making a new sonic game.

2. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    ...then you need to be a drawing artist, gfx artist, programmer, level designer, musician & storywriter alltogether.

Even the official Sonic games were made by a whole team.
    You can't possibly hope to reach a similar result alone.

And ripping boss programming and giving them some different sprites is not 'new'.
    Neither is inputting music that already exists in other games.

3. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
    There is only one word that can accurately describe the "trippy" screenshot:

Trombopolous.

(I am a musician, by the way. Dunno, just sayin' is all. =P)

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

My minor is Graphics design. I can draw.

I can design levels well.

One of my frat brothers is majoring in composition.

And sonic games need not a story.

So, in short, this is my project. I don't need help.

That said, I plan on releasing the source when it's all done.Thanks for the offer, though.

EDIT: And, while not a knock on you, calling my game a hack, and telling me that I'm ripping off boss "programming" tells me alone that, really, you can't help.

5. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    He can't make a similar result alone? What are those games with Knuckles and even Tails in Sonic 1 about, then?

Not to mention he's programming it by himself. If you can do that, you can EXCEED the original games. I may not know much about programming code, but isn't programming from scratch more powerful than hacking the old games?

Also, because he is doing it from scratch, it is not a hack. A hack is a modification of a ROM, this is clearly programming.

I just think ye should look at what you can do yourself before criticising someone who appears to have some talent.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I really don't think he was criticizing (although he did phrase his response in an annoying way), but rather that he liked my project and was enthusiastic about helping. I was the same way... I'd see badass projects like Retro-Sonic or Metrixx and, at the time, I knew I couldn't really make a program like that to save my life. But I wanted to dearly be apart of them, so I'd offer to do something easy, like draw, or design levels.

Hence why I'm keeping a notebook of my work, and my game is going to be open source - so that people who can't do it now, can learn from what I do so that one day they can.

And if anyone has any questions about how I've done anything, then feel free to ask. This is a very liberal-style project... I am more than willing to share my knowledge and even my code at a later point in time.

But yeah... I really am doing this project by myself just so I can step back and pat myself on my back. It's one of those things I do for myself. Letting people help kinda defeats the point.

EDIT: And just to point, I'm not in any sort of competition between Retro-sonic or Sax's proSonic engines. I admire their work greatly, and don't want to compete with them, but just do my own thing. I'm doing this for my own enjoyment. I spoke to sax, in fact, to talk about how his engine worked when I was coming up with theories and forumlas, and he felt pretty much the same way. It seems to me, from an outsiders stance on this community, that those who have the most talent seem the least likely to be a jackass.

More people should follow sax's example and not criticize. After all, if my project becomes this awesome engine (which I'm trying my hardest to do), it won't take away from what Sax has done, and the community benifits from having TWO engines to choose from.

7. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    @Metal_Man88: I wasn't criticising Cooljerk's work. On the contrary, I'm very enthused abt his project.

And Cooljerk, I never said you would actually use existing bosses or music.
    They were just general examples of what is not 'new', not aimed at you personally.

Why do you think I offered my help? I'm not a programmer or hacker so I wouldn't even be capable of helping you neither do I have interest to become one.
    I used the term 'other hackers' but from what you explained you won't be one.

I'm a fan who loves to play the hacks and in your case hopefully, a new game which equals (or even surpasses maybe?) the official games.

Give it your best to drop our jaws to the floor. ;)

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Not a real demo or anything, but I've rewritten my image format and the method it's drawn to the screen... completely rewrote it from scratch. It looks exactly like my last method, but it is loads faster.

Since it behaves the same as the old one, I'm not uploading a demo, but here's a screenshot showing scaling in action:

[​IMG]

9. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

So, I've been working on a function that draws a line between two points on the screen, and can fill 3 points with a color. I got it working, so I wrote a quick 3D algorithm that'll automatically transfer a point to another position on screen based on it's Z coordinates. Something is really wrong with it, because it doesn't always draw right, but every now and then, it works correctly. The end result is essentially what the SuperFX chip could do.

[​IMG]

I'll keep working on it, and put up a demo when it works flawlessly.

10. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Silpheed fangame plz

11. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    YES YES, someone, please!

On topic: that should be great once you get it working Cooljerk.
    Seems like your engine will have many tricks up its sleeve.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Quickie update:

[​IMG]

Amazingly enough, I've still been working on this since last summer, just at a slowed pace due to school. It's very, very far from complete (the game physics aren't implimented yet, sonic simply follows the ground) but it's coming along.

Thanks a ton to drx, jman2050AG, and especially ymtx18z for spending long nights explaining how the sonic engine works. And thanks to Stealth for SonED, which I've been using to figure out how sonic works, and as a templet for the tools I've been creating. And thanks to SonicTweaker for unlocking this :D.

And before anyone asks - naw, no demo yet. It'll probably be a few months before a demo is released.

13. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I was already wondering if you had abandoned this project since we haven't heard abt it for quite some time.
    Good to know it's still alive & kicking.
    Very sexy tiles BTW.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

They're just Knuckles Chaotix tiles right now.

In the end, I plan on making my own, but this was just for testing purposes.

15. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    My bad! I must admit I never bothered to play Knuckles' Chaotix yet so didn't recognize them.
    I should really check it out but somehow I was always drawn towards the Genny games & hacks.
    Well anyways, I hope you'll make a kickass game.

16. CloverCC

CloverCC

Very nice. But I presume, you did the twisting path on the image? I don't really recall that from chaotix. :P still though, either way, chaotix tiles, or not, I think this may turn out pretty good. :)

17. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    No, they are from Chaotix as well.

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

So, I've been rewriting my sprite editor to make it more user friendly. Before, my sprite editor was all command-line based, but this new gui sprite editor is turning out pretty slick:

[​IMG]

19. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

You are an inspiration to C++ programming Sonic fan-gamers everywhere! :bows:

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Heh, I dunno. I don't think I'm in the same level as sax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.