don't click here

Time to get new protos, maybe? Yes!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danske

Danske

Pending Member
    New york, New york!!
    Not particularly. I just draw, alot.
    by different, is everyone referring to a version of TJ&E2 that would perhaps be similar to the first game? I never liked how they made the second a side-scroller.

2. Vangar

Vangar

Did I miss something? Playable Rista Beta?

3. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Did you just completely make these up? That supposed $30,000 prototype sold for something like $250 on ebay.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Is it because people know there's a dump now, maybe? I don't honestly think drx would make these prices up... But just in case, can you confirm the other two prices?

5. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Okay, dude, you're pulling astronomical figures out of your asshole, and you need to stop that. The most expensive video game sales of all time were only $10k, and they were basically one-of-a-kind collectibles, and not prototypes. The highest prototype sale I can recall is $2,500 for Sonic X-Treme, and that is an unreleased game. How the hell you figure in-development versions of these games are worth any more than that? Because they have Mario? Then why can't I manage to sell this Wacky Worlds prototype? It's an unreleased game, you know, and I can't get more than $200 for it.

No, I'm talking about the original sale of this cartridge. It was put on eBay, was posted on all the collector boards (so all potential buyers were aware of it), and only sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250. This is before it was dumped. I don't know where the hell this magical $20,000 number is coming from.

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Um yea, after doing some research I found out that this was slightly untrue. =P

My apologies.

By the way, I've seen a ~$15k offers for a TG16 proto, don't know if it was legit, but it seemed like it. Though it might've been the usual 'tweaking' with the market by posting bogus ebay auctions (hi $20k zelda), or bogus offers (hi NWC gold cart at least 3 times?)

7. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Yeah, it's cool, just don't do that! We already have enough artificial price inflation from people who collect these things as a personal hobby, we don't need it from our side too. I pretty much lost any chance of getting a particular high profile unreleased PlayStation game because an online guide said that it was worth $10,000, when it clearly was not.

8. Vangar

Vangar

Wait... So why was the Sonic 2 Nick Arcade so much? [​IMG]

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    Yea, I know how you feel. I thought that the owner of this SMB2 cart was a fattie too. At least it's not anywhere near the Atlantis II price, heheheh.

Because the owner was a jackass and wouldn't let go off it for any much less. Funny thing is, I've got a serious offer of $1k for the cart (after I dumped it). But I'm not looking forward to selling it =P

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    What right have you? That dump was a collective effort -- you alone wouldn't have been able to purchase it. If the community chooses to do so, why not resell the cart and pay back those who donated (or even use it towards future protos)? IMO, that would be a noble and selfless act that would help your cause more than keeping all the carts for yourself, and it would speed up getting new protos quite a bit. I mean, we've made our use of it, haven't we?

I suppose from a collector's perspective that's out of the question, but think about it: What is your true nature - a proto dumper, or a proto collector? When you have to choose between yourself and the community, this is something you really have to think about.

11. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    How about I decide what should I do with my personal belongings?

You need to put your nose less into everything.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Then maybe you should put your hands less into everybody's pocket.

I make an entirely reasonable suggestion; one that would benefit your cause, and bring up some very valid points, and you tell me it's "not my business"? If not mine, surely it would be that of who donated; and, I think, if anyone, they should have SOME sort of say in what happens with the physical carts, instead of you claiming the entire physical possession as your own, when it clearly would not be so if not for them.

13. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    To be fair, people donated knowing that they were buying it for drx.

drx is still a bit of a dick though =P

14. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    I don't have to follow your suggestions, nor I have to answer any of your questions, etc.

If any of the donators have any questions or concerns, they're free to ask straight away, as has happened many times in the past, and I'll gladly explain/answer everything to them.

Anyway, I paid the most for it, and according to many people here, the biggest donator gets the cart?

Anyway, you're shitting up my topic.

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    [​IMG]

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Oh, I didn't say you did - I was just making a suggestion that I thought would probably be in the best interests of the whole proto collecting business. I'm sorry you don't agree; and I'm sorry you're too selfish to consider any other viewpoint.

Fair enough - I never debated that.

Is it? Or was it just the first suggestion put out, and everybody went with it? If you ask me, the cart should be shipped to whoever is closest to the original seller (with dumping equipment, of course) to be dumped, and later resold to the highest bidder in order to refill the proto budget. This way, you don't have to ask for as many donations, and you have more opportunities open for you when you have to get a proto as it arrives, and don't have to worry about rushing donations which, by the time you get them, may be too late in coming to make a significant impact.

And you're shitting up my board.

And I'll continue to support my own personal viewpoint, because, to this point, I've tried to abstain from flaming you in any personal way, and have only expressed my suggestions in the best interest of your cause; not your collection habits. I'm trying to be fair to EVERYONE here - not just yourself. I'd appreciate you don't attack me, especially having not done it to you at all recently.

17. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    Can we just drop it, please? Atleast drx is kind enough to dump it, and that is honestly the only thing we can ask of him.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Is it, now? You can ask a lot more of him, especially considering you've emptied your pockets a good load to make sure he even has a small chance at dumping these protos. What I'm saying is that you deserve better. It doesn't matter that he "put the most money in" -- that's entirely irrelevant. If not for the contribution of the donaters, drx would be nowhere, and I'm amazed that you're letting him keep the goods all to himself, then giving him MORE money for prototypes when quite frankly, if he re-auctioned the prototypes he dumped already, you wouldn't HAVE to donate as often as you are.

I'm finding it harder and harder to stay neutral on this issue, but I'm standing by my point.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    People gave him money so he could get protos and dump them, and that's what he's doing. I don't see anything wrong with that.

However, if he sells them later, I think he should use the money for buying more of them since that's still the point of those donations.

20. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    I didn't attack you, just stated my own opinion.

How do you know that I haven't considered any other viewpoints? First of all, I haven't stated my viewpoint on this. Secondly, your viewpoint is a _single_ viewpoint, not many viewpoints (you stated it in plural).

All I said is that it's none of your business. Your problem is, that you think that just because you are an administrator, you deserve some um... respect? I don't know how to call it.

The thing is - you're not trying to raise a point. You don't raise a point, or make someone consider an option, by acting all bossy and important. You just try to save the world, when it doesn't need saving.

So here's examples of you trying to place your persona higher than mine in this little chat we're having:

And what right have you to decide whether I have the right or not? By asking this question, you're trying to impose your superiority.

Etc. etc. I've shown you many times in the past how you magically became a 'you do this', 'you do that'.

And since I'm spending some time posting this thing, I might as well break your posts down as well!

That's an assumption out of your ass.

'The community' is a wierd word to use here. I don't know if you mean S2Beta as a whole (which would be very retarded), or the donators, which can hardly be called a community.

Glad you said that it's your opinion, because it's not a fact at all. I don't know why you use a plural form yet again (keeping all the carts for myself), maybe for the dramatic effect, but I don't recall saying anything about offers for other carts, or anything like that. I only said about an offer for the S2 beta cart, which was a single offer.

About speeding the things quite a bit - haste is not a good thing.

Usage of the phrase 'you have to'.

That sentence makes my insides dance around for some reason. I would probably say something about ROM hoarding and private dumps and things like that, but I'll save some bytes from your database (yes, I'm a great guy)

Not only from a collector's perspective. I'm really wanting to say 'from anyone who doesn't have the mentality of a 5 yo's' here, but I think this post has too much negative stuff (yes, even for me), so I'll reword it: I like Sonic.

Why can't one be both?

Unlike some people, I don't have an emotional attachment to this 'community'.

I had the impression that I didn't force those people to give their money up for me.

You forgot the IMO thing here.

hardly

Can't be assed to think up a witty comment about IMO yet again.

Let's take a look at this sentence as a whole. You are basically implying that (I'll even skip the fact that this is an opinion):

if someone:

-makes a reasonable suggestion about X, that benefits X
    -brings some valid points about X

then automatically, X is his business? Either your logic is faulty, or I need to consult a doctor.

Why are you so sure about that? Surely I've got a giraffe in my wardrobe.

nobody said they don't (and nobody said they do either), maybe except yourself. and it's debatable anyway.

btw: you used 'I think' here. yay!
    btw2: some might refer to 'which drawer should I keep it in???' as well.

how does that contradict their 'say in what happens with the cart'? also, I don't own the cart, Sega does. I'm just a 'keeper'.

how clear is clear? I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable with you putting IMO in every sentence. or if you put it in your sig. a bit red 'IMO'.

You're accusing the people here of being dirty bandwagoners?!?!? Maybe if they felt insecure with this way of 'running things', they'd raise a concern? Or are they mindless monkeys now?

did I?

that doesn't even make sense. on many levels. I'll be honest with you - your idea sucks.

1) why?
    2) there's no difference (unless you think that in poland it'll get magically stolen, because people here are hungry for EPROMZ)
    3) 'um hi I'll paypal you the money from 37 different paypals n stuffz, oh and hey, can you send this cart to my daughter in nigeria cuz she needs it for her studies'. ok I kinda exaggerated (sp) that a bit, but it's easier to imagine than to explain. that particular collector was a very nervous guy, mind you. he found out that it's been dumped btw, and that I mentioned his magazine. he was shouting to the telephone a lot. <3 now imagine having EVEN MORE hassle than that (having to deal with jackasses like that).

seriously there's more to juggling with shipping addresses than you might think. it's difficult enough with me having two physical addresses.

most of the time the cart would sell for less than it's worth. honestly I'd rather pull $200-$300 out of my ass than sell a Sonic proto cart to someone.

the only possible scenario that would be similar to this would be an ebay auction (or any auction, for that matter). I usually arrange these things so they can keep going indefinetely, because that's how this stuff works. and you should know, that I'm a ninja at delaying shit like that. there's no real worry about this.

I think I'm done with asking for donations here for a while. I'm trying to fight this feeling, but I'm starting to think that the whole proto biz is not worth all the hassle. It would be so much easier if I'd just hoard all the shit to myself. I just hope that I am right in thinking that it's just a 'loud minority'. Just like not all Islam believers are WTC-hijackers, but the guys who did WTC and other stuff brought bad fame to Islam. yea, what a great example.

So you are admitting to shitting up my thread or what? I'd like to hear how am I shitting your board, as well.

So all the stuff you're doing/saying is flaming? Cool how your reason for posting is to flame things. Also I've told you countless times that you're free to tell me what you really think, not some [self-censored] fairy tales.

-------

This post is as big as a child of an XBOX and Big the Cat. I hope you enjoyed it! Froggy!

------

some new replies appeared =P

how can you possibly think I can't put $1500 to a proto, when I can put $700 to it? (plus take a 'small' loan).

blah blah blah

PS. at least you're not calling me a fucking pollack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.