don't click here

For anyone looking to restore HPZ

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Rika Chou, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Lath

Lath

The only help you need is to start your hack over, because the collision data is perfectly fine, you just messed up your ROM with ESEII, and don't use ESEII again because it's like the worst editor in the world.

2. MatthewPZC

MatthewPZC

Okay, if you say so. I'll use ESE I then, and thank you for telling me that. For some reason, a part of me was thinking that ESE II was the problem, but I ignored it. I guess I should start believing myself more. Again, thank you for that piece of advice. I'm sure it will help me.

3. Lath

Lath

I hope to god you're being sarcastic, ESEI is even worse, just use SonED2, if you don't feel as though you can put level data and junk in like you do compressed art use SonED1.

4. MatthewPZC

MatthewPZC

If you say so. The only problem is, I need them in order to rearrange the level orders (including in the Level Select Menu), but I guess I can do that in a hex editor. Thank you for alerting me to this problem. I'll just continue using SonED (and maybe SonED2, I haven't got around to really trying it).

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I am highly considering removing this topic......

6. Lath

Lath

If I may suggest, just locking it and getting rid of the junk posts? because it's got some good info in it.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Not really. Anyone who knows how to hack at all should be able to figure this all out on thier own.

It was a long time ago that I stated this topic, and I just feel that it is not needed anymore.

I will not delete it, however, I think I will lock it and move it back into the main hacking forum. A topic like this has no place in the archive.

8. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    But then newbies will post topics about restoring HPZ.
    I'd like to keep that to one topic plz.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...wtf?

This topic was archived for a reason. Leave it there, please. Your hacking skill has no merit on anyone else's, and it's not up to you to declare it useless because "everyone knows how to do it/it's too easy" -- they don't, and that's painfully obvious. Ignore the topic if you don't like it; that's not what you're a mod for.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Tweaker, this topic makes more questions than it answers. Yes, we should have a HPZ restoration topic, but I don't feel this one does the job.

As the creator of this topic, I do feel that I should have some say on if it's archived or not. Guess not. =/

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    See, that sounds a bit more reasonable.

Tell you what: If you or someone else is willing to make an end-all HPZ restoration topic that covers everything that's truly needed, and is specific and easy to understand (by newbie standards; yours are a bit high, to be fair), then I'll gladly ditch this topic in favor of the better one. This topic is valuable because, even though it didn't start as so, it became a plethora of useful info (walkthroughs, etc) in restoring HPZ, so eventually most people understood it pretty well, and were able to get things done without asking many questions. Hell, I get enough people asking me about this shit, and when I point them to this topic, I usually get left alone afterwards.

But I digress; if you can get that taken care of, then feel free to ditch this. Until then, this is the best we've got so far.

12. fpusoft

fpusoft

Banned
    Wisconsin
    Hacking sonic 2 Beta
  13. Miles3298

Miles3298

Is it at all possible to restore the background Y position (or modify it)? I can't stand the horrible eye-burning crystals that are easily visible in the final.

14. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    SMTP (I think) pointed out a separate background deformation section which needs to be restored in S2 for the background to be correctly placed.

15. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Actually you told me that. :P I have yet to figure where that code is..

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That "second background deformation section" is probably the initial background camera position code. According to Nemesis' guide, the routine is located at around offset $C150 or so.

17. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, that's about right.

There is an offset index within this code, one for each level. Now if you are using ASM goto off_C296.
    HPZ's pointer is locret_C320 which is incorrect, just change it to loc_C2E4 and it works. :P

Now if using hex, goto 0xC2A6 and change 008A to 004E. Now it should work fine.

I didn't think it'd be this easy... :P

18. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I thought you had to put HPZ's initial background camera position code from the beta in - loc_C2E4 is for a different level.

19. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    No, I just used the deformation from Final.

loc_C2E4 is used for 02, 03, 04, MZ, and MZ3. When applied to HPZ it works fine though. :P

20. fpusoft

fpusoft

Banned
    Wisconsin
    Hacking sonic 2 Beta
    How do you restore hpz enemies?
    I've tried for a long time and I got nothing.
    Please help me.