don't click here

SatAM Robotnik in SegaSonic the Hedgehog Final

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shadow Hog, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I was casually browsing EspioKaos' message board when I stumbled upon this post:

Well, I checked it, and you know what?

He was right.

<a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shadowwing/Images/important/segasonicsatam1.png[/IMG]Freakin' huge image 1</a>
    <a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shadowwing/Images/important/segasonicsatam2.png[/IMG]Freakin' huge image 2</a>

Sorry if this is old hat, but I'd have thought something this quirky would be better publicized if it was known. Oh, and the large image size is due to my desktop just being that freakin' huge. Sorry.

Resulting sprites:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Second one is anti-aliased with the blue, so I COULD remove said blue, but it'd look pretty freaking ugly.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ewwww....it's conehead.

This is indeed new, AFAIK.

3. Vangar

Vangar

Hey hey, that is an awesome find! They probably wanted to localize the game, but then canned it when the game didn't go so well in japan.

4. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    It seems that the two Sonic Arcade games (SegaSonic and Sonic the Fighters) may have much more beta leftovers than we would have originally thought! Someone needs to do a full disassembly of the ROM and see if there's any more hidden stuff in there.

Regarding the first Robotnik sprite (where he's facing away from the camera), notice that nearby you can see the Japanese Eggman sprite in the same pose on the tile dump. It could well be that there are more tiles for this SatAM Robotnik, showing him facing the camera - like the Eggman sprite when he pops up at the top of the screen to taunt you and set off traps, for example.

Anyone care to provide a complete tile dump of the game? ;)

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Out of the tiles that MAME will display in this particular menu... that's it. There are only two poses for Eggman/Robotnik. Both poses have Sega-Eggman and SatAM-Robotnik versions, however (in the case of the latter pose, they're considerably more spread out - but they're close enough to draw comparisons).

Still, if we're going to find more SatAM Robotnik sprites, we'd need to figure out how the sprites are stored inside the files, since it's apparent MAME isn't gonna do all that work for us. Of course, given how much we've hacked the living daylights out of Sonic 2's art compression stuff, I wouldn't doubt it's possible... there just isn't going to be an easy way out, is all.

Although, seeing SatAM Robotnik animated quite as nimbly as the sprites used in the final... THAT would be awesome. And I'm not even a fan of the design.

6. Shade

Shade

Excellent. This is quite an interesting find, great work to all involved!

7. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I bet if there was a region switch option within the rom, (which is highly unlikely) the American Dr. Robotnik could be brought out.

Very interesting find indeed...

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Splendid. Absolutely unexpected. I guess they were going to use SatAM Robotnik to promote the show in the US. But the game didn't go so well in Japan, so the US version was canned, along with SatAM Robotnik art.

9. Vangar

Vangar

Come on man, I already said that ;)

10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Ha ha, awesome. The facing-away sprite doesn't have cape though, curious.

11. CloverCC

CloverCC

Ah. Nice. AoSth Robotnik in a game, this robotnik in another.. Awesome find, Though. 'would make a nice signpost, though.

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

You didn't mention it.

13. Vangar

Vangar

Localize, promote, same old.

14. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    He said that it was canned because it failed in Japan... then you did. He did mention it. Just not what you thought he was mentioning.

15. Crysta

Crysta

Oldbie
    how about checking the orter times you see eggman in game?

16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Tried that yesterday; those poses stay exactly the same.

I KNOW that the sprites have to be stored to local memory somewhere, but MAME sure won't let me see them. For that matter, the sprites for Sonic, Mighty, Ray, and the rings aren't in the tile set either. There's an awful lot hiding in those files...

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    You know, that's why I hate emulators. They'll show all your data and run it but won't let you see it in memory, dump it, or edit it.

18. TapamN

TapamN

Uh... Most arcade boards had seperate, uncompressed graphics rom (like early NES games, such as SMB). I know that CPS and NeoGeo boards use ROMs. You should be able to read the tiles with some generic viewer.

And it looks like the System 32 is no exception to the rule: I randomly opened up "mpr15792.30" and got Sonic's tiles, uncompressed.

19. Fiore

Fiore

Everybody's Super Sonic Racing! Member
    Hmm, interesting. Billy makes a good point, the sprite of SatAM Robotnik facing away from the camera IS mising the cape, and from what I can speculat, we should be able to see the mustache sticking out at the sides a bit, even from the back. I mean, that mustache is like two paintbrushes sticking out of his nose.

20. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

As they were never used, they may have been unfinished. Chances are that, if it had done well in Japan and they proceeded with bringing it overseas, that they'd have fixed that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.