don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog Extended Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Cinossu, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    <!--quoteo(post=153409:date=Dec 4 2006, 05:35 PM:name=bobxp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bobxp @ Dec 4 2006, 05:35 PM) [​IMG]
    .. c.c

2. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
  3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    My mistake. Same thing applies, though.

XD Are you joking? Adding new characters like Tails and Knuckles would be bloody hard for me, espcially their specific moves.

:P Indeed, but they're not being added.

Oh the ability to get to them is implemented in the demo, it's just disabled, and nowhere near complete in it. It's almost complete now, apart from actual new layouts.

Already added.

4. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    No, I was serious. When I played this I thought it's a dozen times more impressive than a simple character hack. Other people have ported Tails and Knuckles along with their special moves to Sonic 1, and you seem perfectly capable of adding buttons to do anything you want (ie. switch characters), so I don't see why it should be so hard, compared to what you've already done.

5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Adding a button to change a single RAM value is easy. Adding an entirely new character into a game that isn't designed for it is not. :P

At this point in time, Sonic is staying as the only playable character.

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Besides, pressing a button to change your character is *my* shtick. :(

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Hmm, looking at that screenshot of the Negative Special Stage, it seems overly red what with the red background *and* the red rings to collect.. perhaps a different pallette for the background would work out better? A little contrast between different colours would really help make those Nega-rings more noticable than they are at present - for example, a deep purple sky would still keep that 'negative' feel while making the red Nega-rings more easily distinguishable than they are at present. =P

Any art changes planned for the Nega Special Stages, BTW, or are they going to stay using the same tiles as the regular ones? =P I'd guess not, since it'd be quite a bit of work designing a new Special Stage tileset, but thought I'd ask in case it's under consideration.

BTW, the red rings ARE still Negative Rings, right? XD If not, I must sound like a right tit, going on about Negative this and that..

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    :P Don't worry, the red rings are still negative rings, yes. As for the palette, I was thinking the same thing. I did the red palette before I had finished changing the rings in the special stage to negative rings. In the current demo out there are no changes whatsoever.

9. Kampfer

Kampfer

I just played the GHZ Demo. I'm very impressed.

The file select zone was very well done. I like the delete system, and I acutally have an idea for it.

Rememebr L0st's Eggman hack? Wouldn't be neat for when you pressed the delete buttion, Sonic changed to Eggman to delete files? Might not be practical to program for such a minor function, but just an idea.

Music is wonderful, as is the idea to change the time of day for zones.

I'm not a big fan of the "move at a certian speed and have the screen scroll forward". Maybe its because I'm not used to it, but it seems very awkward.

As for spindahsh and peelout, I really am not in favor of the SCD or S2 version, because I usually don't bother trying since Sonic 1 didn't need either one. Neat function though, and very unique.

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    it's changed a bit since the demo, now. Sonic doesn't turn grey anymore, but the entire level palette does. The music also has some disabled channels.

I need to fix it up a little, change the speed where it starts..

It's why they're becoming unlockables rather than at-start-auto-get abilities. They will have their own specific uses in game, however, where they are required for certain things.

11. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    .. almost on page 2? Can't be having that. :P

Here be a video of new things in here in action. Lots of testing stuff, so some VRAM is messed (namely the purple rocks in GHZ). Also shows how bad I am at the special stages. :x

http://rubbish.hapisan.com/s1built3.avi

12. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Awesomeness with the Nega Emeralds. :P

But did you really have to make the ring boxes add/subtract 100 rings?

Doesn't that make it a bit too easy?

Nice unlockables by the way.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  14. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    People call Rapidshare Rapidshit for a reason.

You can't stream from it.

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I never stream anyway. I prefer to download files. So I thought to provide a mirror, and again, you're not forced to use it, it's a spare thing in case his bandwidth dies. Maybe it's unlimited, who knows. It's better to set up an useless thing if it's not an hard work, imo.

[/offtopic]

I love your hack, Cinossu!

16. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    believe me, it'll be very unlikely I run out of bandwidth on hapisan.com, but thanks anyway. :P The 100 rings/negarings monitors were for testing only, and will return back to 10 ring/negaring monitors before release. I used them to make it easier to get to the special stages. :P

17. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    That's good to know. :)

Are you going to have negarings? What happens if an enemy hits you when you have a negative number of rings?

18. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    It'll probably count as not having rings at all, and you'll most likely die from it. There was something similar to that in Knuckles' Chaotix, when you press the "Call" button.

19. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    From what I remember, if you get hit with a negative ring count, nega rings fly out.

20. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Hey why don't you use youtube to host the video? :o Downloading the vid takes forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.