don't click here

Prototype misnamed on Wikipedia.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
  2. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
  3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yeah I know it's not great, it really should be renamed to "Sonic 2 Nick Arcade Prototype" at least.

4. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    ...What's so bad about calling it "Sonic 2 Alpha"? It IS in an early alpha stage of development, and that's what people have been calling it for years. Heck, I still call it that, up to this day.

5. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    The other proto was an alpha too, technically.

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    It gives a false impression and is severely open to interpretation.

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I'm puzzled as to why someone made a separate page for it. As someone mentioned on the talk page, there should be a "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (prototypes)" page which covers everything.

8. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

that's the thing, it's not an alpha stage of development. The term alpha is for inhouse testing, where as beta is used for external prereleases.

9. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Yeah, I'm DanPMK, the guy who wrote pretty much that entire page. When I got there the A was not even capitalized.

As for the stage of development:
    Pre-alpha - nightly releases, still screwing around. Since this was built on Sonic 1, a pre-alpha would be a buggy Sonic 1 with a few things switch around.
    Alpha - still in debugging, but has a majority of all the stuff
    Beta - pretty much done, but not stable, still in bug testing, useful for previews.

If you ask me, both 'betas' we have seem to be in the Pre-alpha stage. However, I still propose, as I did on that talk page, that it be made into a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (prototypes) page.

10. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    That's a severely inaccurate and woolly way to categorise prototypes. Calling this prototype the Nick Arcade prototype is unambiguous.

11. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Not really. It's unencyclopaedic, and no-one outside the Sonic community will understand what it means. In fact, the majority of the Sonic community still calls it the "early prototype". It also breaks the Wikipedia naming conventions. The correct title should be "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (prototype)".

12. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Hell, why not just "(early prototype)" then?

The only problem is that if there's ever another one found, you're going to have to do a lot of date shuffling ("early prototype", "earlier prototype", "later prototype", etc.)...

13. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Prototype B plz

14. Vangar

Vangar

QFT

15. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    QFF. I really don't think they should have separate Wikipedia articles. S2A doesn't actually contain anything that isn't in S2B, except for an unplayable GHZ. The differences could be described in a single paragraph in a "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (prototype)" article. This would also avoid any naming debates, and would be less confusing to outsiders.

16. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Indeed. This site didn't need to be massively updated to accomodate both prototypes since they share a lot of the same differences with Sonic 2 Final.

You'll need whatever Wikipedia's equivalent of a moderator is to sort it out.

17. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
  18. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    On the <a href=http://www.sonic-cult.org/dispgame.php?catid=6&gameid=17>mainpage of the game</a> on Cult I listed the alternate names in case people still use aternate names, like here. People on the forums call it Nick Arcade proto, the main site calls it both Nick Arcade and drx proto, and on my site I ended up naming it Early Beta and pre-beta so it isn't 'owned' by anything. In the end the majority will accept what it gets named when added to goodgen and that's that.

19. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    I can't see your picture, Quickman.

20. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    It's hosted by the CulT - take it up with them, or find another webhost since Photobucket won't be best pleased if I put a 2MB anigif of Sonic running into a wall on their server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.