don't click here

Request: Desert Zone scan

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Rika Chou, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I've noticed that there isn't any high resolution scans of the Desert Zone mock up picture. So can someone please rescan that? Seems odd to me that all the scans have been of horrible quality.

2. Gurluas2000

Gurluas2000

Iposatu the Demon Lord Member
    Afaik nobody har identified where that scan comes from...
    or at least I havent...I've been looking for many magazines none has that scan

3. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game
    I remember seeing a scan of the entire page the Desert level was on. I can't remember if it was hi-res or not, but I'll try to go find it.

EDIT: This is the picture, or the closest thing I could find to the picture I was looking for. It shows the original scan, then a scan of the page, then a higher-quality scan of the picture.

4. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    That picture, in turn, was uploaded by me (with pictures provided from other sources) and seen on this page. Here's a excerpt of the description of those pictures, from the text:

"In the pictures above, the left and middle ones use inaccurate colours while the one on the right is using the correct colours. The middle one was printed on the back of a Sears, Roebuck and Co. Magazine from a November/December issue of 1992. None of these pictures were accompanied with a caption mentioning any level name."

5. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    So then the desert level that so many people have put into there hack has been using the wrong pallet? I would like to see a version of the level with the correct pallet now in someone's hack, maybe even Long Version because it is going for accuracy.

6. Vangar

Vangar

How do we know which ones are using the right colors?

7. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game

8. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...And how did the guy who typed that know? That proves nothing, don't believe everything you read. =P

10. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Can't complain. Member
    u mama
    Mystery something game
    Wow. Our version has only 20 levels. If at least 15 levels got cut, so that means that there's more than the lost levels that we know right now (if I counted correctly, there's only 12 cut levels).

11. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Wow, Did anyone ever notice that in the scan BobManPerson posted, EHZ has clouds above the clouds on the water's surface? The clouds are even in the water's reflection.

Anyway, looking at BobManPerson's scan, EHZ pallet looks close to the original, So maybe the Desert levels pallet was lighter? Maybe this should be fixed in the next release of Long Version? Your opinion.

12. Robjoe

Robjoe

It doesn't really matter, the level was never even made in the first place. The "standard" Desert Zone pallette we have in most hacks today is fine, IMO.

13. Dragonsbrethren

Dragonsbrethren

The easiest way to tell the which has the correct colors is to look at Sonic, in the first scan on that image BobManPerson posted Sonic is too dark, the second one has too much contrast, and the last one has Sonic looking about right, still off though. I say the hacks should lighten the palette a bit, those bright yellows never sat well with me, just a little darker than the third scan.

Also, is it just me or do those two "blocks" in the upper right corner of the wall look like the bottom of one of the face blocks from Labyrinth zone?

14. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I agree, it shouldn't be changed at all.

15. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I suspect the palette intended for the level is closer to the picture on the left, since that seems to match the intended palette for the crocodile enemy so well.

16. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    I believe the picture to the right is more accurate. My reason is based on the magazine article Qjimbo provided. If both mock-ups of HPZ and EHZ use approximately the same colours as in the betas or the final game, then perhaps Brenda Ross intended the desert Dust Hill zone to have those light colours too.

17. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    I think Dusty Desert from Sonic next is dust Hill zone because I said so.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    .....ANYWAY, does anyone even have that magazine? I would like a new scan, because the only scans that we do have are of horrible quality.

19. Bonic

Bonic

Sonic DS, New Sonic The Hedgehog
    Who was the person to even scan the magazine? Maybe we can find out what magazine had it by asking them....

Ok, I'm going to post a quikc hyposisis real quick.....the right image is more accurate, Sonic is pefectly colored, The rings are also in the correct color, the frist image has a light ass Sonic, with bright yellow rings, and second image has two white rings >.>

And, maybe the Dust Hill pallete in all hacks are wrong, for example, in Sonic And Knuckles, the Sand level(Sandoplis) was very light..The sand was light yellow, and the ground was organge red. Now tell me, does sanopolis look more like the correct pallete for Dust Hill?

20. ExecByte

ExecByte

Ohio
    Sonic: The Lost Worlds
    Given that Dust Hill was Mystic Cave in the prototype and, that it was Mystic Cave in the magazines, I can't believe people still use the name for the desert zone. For those who call it that because it's "common sense" think about this: Dust Hill, as Mystic Cave, in the magazines was described as a mine. A mine is a very DUSTY place usually in a mountain which is like a big HILL.

If you refer to a magazine scan of Dust Hill, it could easily be taken to mean Mystic Cave, instead of the desert zone.

And being one word doesn't necessarily make it improper. Metropolis, Marble, and Labyrinth zones are one word.

And I'll say right now, I'm not trying to start anything, just bringing up a valid point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.