don't click here

A new un-named hack to the addition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by manderc3, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everyone here I'm imagining were addicted to Sonic on the Megadrive at some point in their child hood. And after the Sonic 3 and knuckles adaption I felt like the story line they had going on ended there. I don't know if this was the case for anyone else, but I wanted a Sonic 4 to come out back then.
    And now obviously that didn't happen, wouldn't it be cool of a fan to make it happen, I don't know... I'd like to give it ago. I've been sprite editing for 4 or 5 years now so I can hold myself up on that part its just the programming side to it... I've tried it before with SonED, but I'm abit rusty.
    I'd apreciate it if I get some ideas back from you guys for something.
    Much regards.

2. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    If you make a hack, I don't think you should call it Sonic 4. For one thing, it's been done already a few times (including that nice GBA fangame), and it also seems a bit presumptuous to call your hack the next Sonic game in the main series.

3. I want to go original with this, however being original is not always a good thing but I'm going to try my best with this. Calling it Sonic 4 will probally won't be the case either. I just want to make a hack pumped with my thoughts of what could've happened after the story of Sonic 3.

4. CloverCC

CloverCC

Ah, well, Doing this, you might want to do NOTHING but original.

Did you decide what base to make this hack off? (As for ex: Taking a fresh sonic 1, 2, 3, etc Rom and starting there).

Then, if you're going to do what you said you were going to do, I'm guessing you might have some knowledge of Hex, or ASM. Otherwise, It would practically be impossible.

I'm guessing that since you're taking the storyline after S3K, You've probably expiremented with a S3K/S3/S&K Rom atleast once. You'd realize how hard it would be to turn S3K Into a completley diffrent game, right? With new 8x8, and 16x16 tiles? Diffrent compressed art? I'd probably never consider going that far, but, just come up with whatever you have. I guess..

If this is a fan game or whatever, Then I have no idea. xD

5. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Unless you can program asm like Stealth, Stephen, drx or Tweaker... If not, forget it.

(I'm sure there are some more hackers with asm skills out there but these 4 guys just instantly came to mind.)

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Cinossu, R. Solaris.

7. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Of course! And I guess Esrael and SH-Bee's hacks have some asm stuff too.

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I'm saddened that no one said J-man

9. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Sorry mate, there's a lot going on in the scene that I still don't know abt but at least now I know you're into it to. :(

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Actually, IIRC LOst was the first real ASM hacker here, and IIRC he didn't use any disassemblies, he wrote everything in pure hex.

11. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Um, you can do ASM without disassemblies, no? I mean like 4E75 is an RTS and so on. Meh, silly me.

13. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Yes, but it tends to be very much on the basic side since you can't use up more space than you're given by the code you're changing.

14. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Well, then you'll have to look at this. It was coded in pure hex, only YY-CHR was used for tiles. And that guy can change almost any aspect of the game, in pure hex.

15. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    He's also gone over the 4MB limit, so it's not even a legitimate Megadrive game.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You can easily go over the 4MB limit... remember, just like Z80, the "ROM size limit" is simply the max bank size that you can have. You can easily surpass it through bank swapping.

17. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

He surpassed the 4Mb limit because of the crazy amount of art and sounds added from the other games, he almost fused all classic MK games together. But this is not the point, the point is that you can PROPERLY program in pure hex as well. Ergo, my statement holds water.

18. back to topic... I understand that I am a newb on the subject and attempting such a hack is going to be complicated for me, but that's just one of the reasons why I'm going to give a go because I want to see what I can learn from this and maybe... who knows, maybe I'll suceed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.