don't click here

Chaotix box oddness

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MK, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, as I'm a tad new here, but I always had a few questions about the back of the Knuckles Chaotix box. I scanned it, and uploaded it here.

Now, the first 2 pictures are fine, but the 3rd begs a small question: Vector is clearly big in this picture, yet the big icon on the bottom of the screen is on the right; this must mean Vecotr is player 2, and Bomb is player 1. yet, there is no 'switch' box in the middle. Must be either a picture from an earlier version, or a developer who used the level select code.

But the 4th picture is the most interesting. Where the fuck does this take place? Sure looks a lot like the first level you do after you meet Espio and see Robotnik. If so, how is Metal Sonic there? Yet, the player has 21 rings, and 17 seconds. This is standard in the first intro zone, which has a different floor. Beta? And how the FUCK does the player have 1876100 as a score so early?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I looked all over the site, and Cult, for information on this, and didn't find any. Also sorry if it seems like stupid little information, but I know you guys like the be thorough in your information, no matter how small.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Metal Sonic appears zooming in the intro. But the score... O_O Maybe just a bug that caused the game to start in the introduction, but the score is saved :/

3. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    But that's the wrong level. Look at the grass. The first picture, with Metal Sonic holding Robotnik, is the correct scene and level, but the last one isn't the correct area. Metal Sonic never appears there.

4. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    They're probably just mock-ups, like ye olde Desert Zone. Hence, the random scores, unusual team combinations and things showing up where they ultimately didn't.

5. But those mock-ups were created by magazine writers. I doubt Sega would make a mock-up.

6. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Sega made mock-ups all the time. It was easier to put some patterns and sprites together than to put them properly in the game and take pictures of the game.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Not just SEGA, I know of SNES and even Atari cartridges that just consisted on a slideshow of stills, showing how the final game could end up looking like.

8. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    I'm surprised they'd put mockups on an official box. Guess they just wanted to get the game out quicker.

9. SamIAm

SamIAm

"Five huge 3-D bonus levels"

but there are six!

10. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Czechia
    The last one is secret.

11. Robjoe

Robjoe

None of those are neccesarily mock-ups. In the shot with Bomb and Vector, they may've just used the level select. However, I also have reason to believe that Bomb and Heavy were once selectable as "leader" characters on the menu, but that's another story. There's also nothing wrong with the shot with Espio, Knuckles and Metal Sonic, either. Let the game sit for a minute straight without moving, and Metal Sonic will come up and attack you, basically telling you to hurry your ass up. =P Therefore, it's possible to see him in any level, including sunset Isolated Island.

12. Jimp

Jimp

Art in Sonic 1
    But the timer only reads 0'17"01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.