don't click here

Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Yeah GHZ only used the Rotating Palette for the Waterfall which the Colors are the exact same ones they used for Emerald Hill, Looking at both of them between This alpha and Final you can see that Emerald Hill was completely based off GHZ, Given the fact that the Raster for Ehz is slightly different then GHZ's [No clouds to scroll] else the BG position, Cycling Palette colors among other things are extremely exact between them.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Just found out there's some wierd (uncompressed?) level mappings I can't recognize between the animated BG objects and the graphics for the big ring (that's before 0x2B652). They must be from Sonic 2 because there's another copy of them right after the big ring, as if they were also compiled in a previous built and then overwritten.

So, the data between:

0x2A294 - 0x2C293

Is repeated right after it, as if it was overwritten from a previous build:

0x2C294 - 0x2E293

EDIT: Forgot to say that the rightmost part of the last map looks a bit like the top of the big green ramp in HPZ, but could be just a coincidence.

3. jackaroo

jackaroo

Good job on finding this. Im fascinated by the sonic betas. Anyway I have to say this is hardly playable but still its funny to see what's there. I like the little effect of running into walls but doing speed runs and that happening would be very annoying. Anyway interesting beta/alpha.

4. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the big ring also partially reduplicated? I could have sworn I saw it repeated a couple of times while browsing idly through the ROM in TLP.

5. In the CPZ3 savestate drx posted, if you go a few screens to the left, and down a bit, you'll find a bridge object with messed graphics, and two seemingly invisible and immobile enemies for Sonic to hit...

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Those animated graphics look like they would fit in the machine level in sonic spinball...especially those lights...

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That includes the big ring.

8. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    o fux genocide city
    I don't know if that's likely though. I'm doubtful.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Goddammit people, that is NOT for Genocide City! GCZ was NEVER in the game in any playable form, and it even if the concept was created by this point, it would've been Cyber City.

Plus, you design the level art before any of that miscellaneous shit. You don't "design it in case it may be used in the future." What kind of stupid shit is that? Think before you speak, honestly.

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Tweaker Tweaker calm yourself! Billy is a fool, and I still think they look similar to Spinball graphics.

11. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Hey hey, I never said "OMGWEFOUNDGCZ!"
    I'm sorry for not being knowledgeable to the last detail.

12. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I don't see why there's a huge argument? Don't we have the people to contact to figure out definatively what this is?

13. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Ah, yeah, some of the people we're questioning would have a field day with this proto. =P

14. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    OMG thank you! Much love for u =D :worship:

and wait... DRX is trying to get more protos? If there's a Sonic one proto in there I will SO donate
    but I don't wanna donate for some prototype that's like only like 1% different than the original.

15. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

disgusted by origins plus Oldbie
    A black Hole
    life and shit..., a sonic 1 remake
    I inserted these tiles into LZ's(01) level slot. These appear to be clones of EHZ's 128x128 mappings. (although I didn't check for any differences)

Nevermind, it was just EHZ's tiles loaded into it, my bad.

16. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa, lemme get something straight here... I'm gone for a few weeks with piles of College work, and we find a new and earlier Sonic 2 Prototype AND a Sonic 3D prototype? ... I've been so totally way past out of the loop.

17. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    LZ Uses a wierd Alternation of Ehz's 128x128 tiles where the first few tiles are garbled. if you use the 8x8 and 16x16 of Ehz, So If somebody could play around and find out what those garbled 128x128 tiels were used for since it obviously looks like left over Art from the First Alpha.

18. Wemes

Wemes

Glad to see everyone getting along. Congratulations on finding this drx. It was worth every penny. (or Euro, whichever :P ).

POSTING IN LEGENDARY THREAD++;

19. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    This will sound like an idea everyone has already thought of, but why don't we send these new graphics to the artists we're in contact with and see what they remember? Visual aids are often good at jogging the memory.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Are they even still available for contact? And if so, are they even willing?

I suppose ICEknight would know the answers to these questions, though...