don't click here

Sonic for SegaCD

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Nov 29, 2005.

1. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    It was never my intention to presure you. :P

But whatever the case, I'm sorry for causing this.. explosion.

2. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Well, it's all done now. I hope people finally take to heart some of the things I've said in response. To me, it seems it should be only natural..

Thank you for understanding

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned

...cock?

Btw, you type fast. =P

4. Nikki

Nikki

sonic-cult.net Member
    What the fuck guys.

5. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    You missed it by a little over an hour, I think it's played out already :P

6. Nikki

Nikki

sonic-cult.net Member
    ...and? I only saw the thread replies just now. Good for you two working things out I guess.

7. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    ...WOW. Jesus christ.

8. SegaCdlives!

SegaCdlives!

Pending Member
    Hi everybody this is my first post and everything but I have been on this form alot and this is my fav cuz I really want some sega CD homebrew but the only ones I found were being sold and the one stealth made.

I think stealth's is really cool but it doesn't run on hardware and the ones that were being sold (frog feast) cost and....well....I don't want to pay. So I want to revive this form (peacefully) and get some Updates! :)

I'm no hotshot programmer so I cant help program really (BASIC help anyone ? :D ) and I havent really researched SCD insides to no hardware help either, so if I'm gona kill someone by reviving this form I'm sorry.

Please don't flame me for reviving this form and if sound to n00bish tell me.

(If u made any updates Stealth (or whoever adopted the project) please tell)

9. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I don't think he has any intentions to continue it, as he's working on a hack of his. (Project Chaos)

EDIT: Wait a minute, StephenUK is working on Project Chaos. Not Stealth. I got mixed up there. Post Count -1

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Um, Project Chaos is Stephen's hack, so I have no idea where the hell you got that from.

And I could see something like this being continued EVENTUALLY... but I doubt it's high on his priority list.

11. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Disregard this post.

12. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    The "proof of concept build" was just a demo.
    I hope Stealth will be in the mood to work on it again someday.

As for Project Chaos, it looks like Stephen is gonna kick some major ass with it. Can't wait.

13. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I sincerely apologize for bumping such an old thread, but all the download links are dead. Does anyone have the demo uploaded somewhere? I'd really like to try it once.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    http://rapidshare.com/files/105198596/SMCDU.iso

15. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Btw, is there any source code for this?

Okay, just kidding =P but now that the thread has been bumped, it's interesting to see how a project that started promising ended up dead, when it could have made a great and important contribution if source were around. Just my opinion.

16. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Yeah, what a terrible loss. Quite honestly, there should be more collaborative works. Combining levels from various hacks was a good idea. The problem with most hacks is they don't use original graphics but instead rely on pallette changes. That, or they only create original graphics for a zone or two then the hack dies. This could have been a good opportunity to get a game with all original graphics, and also have good level design.

Also, it should have made better use of the CD, the music sounded like it was genesis music. Maybe should have used some fan mp3's or something.

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If you can find 6 hacks in which only one zone was edited, and you throw them together, you can have a completely new game. Given that those 6 hacks edited 6 different zones of course <.<

18. Skaarg

Skaarg

The thing is though deespence, Stealth doesn't release his source to the public, so no one else can continue it. I also think you're wrong about how hacks are now. There are far more graphical and technical hacks now than there ever has been. I also don't see why he should have to put custom music in when this is just a proof of concept. He could have put no music in and it still wouldn't be any less impressive.

19. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    It's a shame he never released the source for this. I can see this being used as a new way to create some awsome hacks.

Sonic Megamix CD, anyone? :P

Also, this would be the easiest way of creating and playing a hack on a real console. So now you can just burn the files onto a CD and run them off your console, instead of buying a flash cart and hoping the hack will work.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Hah, I wish. Stealth hasn't been around in over a year, though, so the chances of that happening are slim-to-none. :(

Also, unless someone else tried to do this whole process from scratch, nobody here will be "continuing" Stealth's work. Stealth's work is Stealth's work, and that's his alone to work on—he doesn't do the whole "share source code with the world!" crap because of the negative repercussions that will occur in high contrast with any positive ones. Besides that, I can say confidently that 99% of the people here probably couldn't do anything useful with the source anyway, because you probably wouldn't understand how everything worked.

If this is going to be continued at any point, it's gonna be by Stealth. Don't ever "expect" anything though, because there's always a high chance you'll be severely disappointed.

It did make use of CD audio. It was in the test zone (which is a Genesis conversion of Shining Island Zone, from Sonic Mettrix).