don't click here

Concensus on Prototype naming scheme

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Qjimbo, Nov 8, 2006.

What should the Prototypes be referred to as?

1. Drx Prototype and Wai Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alpha and Beta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fan-created version numbers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nick Arcade Prototype and Simon Wai Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2006 Prototype and 1998 Prototype

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    When talking about leaked material, prototype stuff and such I would trust anybody but Naka. It wouldn't be the first time he was caught lying about something Sonic-related...

2. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Good Point. But it seems to be the most logical explanation as to how the prototype made its way into the hands of pirates. At least that's what I think.

EDIT: I see now.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nishiyama doesn't mention any toy fair, though. He's speaking about lack of security when sending data to SOA.

4. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    To add to what IceKnight is saying, indeed Naka does talk about HPZ, its purpose and how far it went into production, but from what prototype? From what Naka describes sounds like the HPZ we have in both Drx S2 proto and Simons S2 proto. Naka doesn‘t really go into enough detail to make a distinction if there was ever any in HPZs overall level development as well as what Sonic 2 prototype did he had before it got stolen.

5. Crysta

Crysta

Oldbie
    id say it should be Pre-Alpha and Alpha if anything

6. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    I leaning more towards that idea of calling it "Drxs Sonic 2 prototype amd Simons Sonic 2 prototype" as far as selections go but as someone else mentioned, what if Drx finds another Sonic 2 prototype (which I hope would be the case ;P). Calling it Alpha and Beta would work but just like the first idea, there isn't enough distinction assuming there wasn't any other earlier build release before or inbetween Drxs S2 proto and Simons S2 proto. Version numbers would give distinction but doesn't look right. I gave my reason for skipping the idea of calling it Nick Arcade prototype even if it is exactly like the NA version. Calling a prototype by its year doesn't look right either, not enough distinction along with someone mentioned the year Simon found his prototype may be inaccurate.

I think "Drxs Sonic 2 Alpha and Simons Sonic 2 Beta" would work (instead of the selections above) and if Drx was to ever find another Sonic 2 prototype that was released between and or before those two prototypes we could use the idea Saz and Crysta brought up and name them "Sonic 2 Pre-Alpha" (should we use that the actual name for Drxs S2 proto), "Sonic 2 Post-Alpha" or "Sonic 2 Pre-Beta" ect.

7. Fiore

Fiore

Everybody's Super Sonic Racing! Member
    Alpha and Beta. Short and to the point, plus easier to remember right off the bat and such.

8. Exactly.

9. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Perhaps we should call them by their checksums? It isn't that easy to accidentially make a checksum collision...

10. Sky Shark

Sky Shark

Sonic 1 Rehash - I'm not saying its canned, I'm planning on some work on it this summer.
    I also meantioned how it feels more like a Pre Alpha, to few Sonic2 levels and 3 of the 4 are uncompletable.

11. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    I voted Alpha and Beta. But Nick arcade alpha and simon wai beta sounds good as well

12. Sz

Sz

Oldbie
    Around
    IMO, it's the Nick Arcade prototype until proven otherwise.

Though, to make drx feel less left out (;>), we could do what the mathematicians do and just throw a hyphen in there.

The drx-nick protorype. Now we're going places.

13. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I guess drx prototype and Simon prototype would be best for now. And then, if one of them finds another prototype along the road, we can always call it the "2007 drx/Simon prototype" or some shit. If another is found this year, we can always shoot for the "December 2006 drx/Simon" prototype. Nick Arcade can be an alternative name for drx prototype, provided it's the same exact thing.

14. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Don't like "alpha and beta", the DRX and SW thing is great, and could be used with 1998 and 2006 interchangably.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    People outside these two or three message boards won't have a clue of what's all that about.

16. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yeah, that's true.

I really wish we had different build numbers...

17. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    I vote Nick Arcade.

18. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Voting closes at the end of this week, Friday the 17th of November.

19. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Alpha and beta. 'Cause as it was said people outside this board don't know drx or SW.

20. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I personally think it should be drx's sonic 2 alpha and simon wai's sonic 2 beta. I like that combo... I'm nostalgic and enjoy the greek letter rating system, but I also believe that credit should go where credit is deserved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.