don't click here

S3D Beta Music Locations

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sonic 65, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    I decided to look for the music in the newly dumped S3D beta ROM. Here are the pointer locations. Music is in S2B pointer format.

BF4C6-BF4DD: adds to B8000
    BF4DE-BF4E9: adds to C0000
    BF4EA-BF4FB: adds to C8000
    BF4FC-BF684: adds to D0000

Many pointers lead into a huge bank of 00s, which makes me think that I might have done something wrong. Or maybe it's just a regular beta thing. But these do seem to be the right pointers.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It might be a better idea to look for the music tracks manually, since it's been proven in another topic that some might not be referenced by the pointers.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Trying to take my spot, eh?

I'll do a proper breakdown when I have time.

EDIT: After a quick look, it seems you just automatically assumed that all the music adds to static banks all the time... In actuality, they keep changing which banks they read from, so they can fit all the music in the game correctly.

This beta music is kinda bizarrre... it seems that the music programming is only partially done, as the PSG noise programming is very poor... Very simple waveforms, and very scratchy. The fundamentals seem to be there, though.

EDIT2: Rusty ruin also seems to be simpler, using the same voice in a couple of parts where it would normally make a switch. Damn, I should port these over to a game with a sound test, or something...

AMEND TO EDIT2: Christ, it ends early, too. I'm gonna have to make my own difference sheet or something, christ.

4. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, Tweaker, all the songs starting from Rusty Ruin in the beta end earlier than they normally do...

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, so this is what I came up with.

http://www.fileden.com/files/15774/Sonic%2...eta%20Music.bin

It's not much, but it does its job - it's a rough and dirty port of S3D Beta's music to the final, so you can play them in the sound test. Some wouldn't fit in the pointer allotment, though, so use S65's pointer locations (which add to the wrong bank offsets =P) to swap out the music that I couldn't fit in.

Everything sounds identical to the beta, to my knowledge - let me know if it isn't.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, I found something hiding in the second music block.

Code (Text):
    1. SONIC 3D PROTOTYPE MUSIC DATA LOCATIONS
    2. Documented by ICEknight
    4. (Those with a "*" can't be accessed from the game)
    6. C0000-C1146 GREEN GROVE 1
    7. C1147-C2742 GREEN GROVE 2
    8. C2743-C355E RUSTY RUIN 1
    9. C355F-C3961 VOLCANO VALLEY 1*
    10. C3962-C456E SPRING STADIUM 1
    11. C456F-C5269 SPRING STADIUM 2
    12. C526A-C5D67 DIAMOND DUST 1
    13. C5D68-C6544 GENE GADGET 1
    15. C8000-C8813 PANIC PUPPET 2
    16. C8814-C8D24 FINAL BOSS
    17. C8D25-C9A39 SONIC 3 GUMBALL BONUS*
    18. C9A3A-CA54F SPECIAL STAGE
    19. CA550-CAEAE LEVEL SELECT
    20. CAEAF-CB4A2 ??? LOST TUNE 1*
    21. CB4A3-CB9B3 FINAL BOSS (some different values)
    22. CB9B4-CBDBB TITLE
    23. CBDBC-CCE17 ENDING*
    24. CCE18-CD072 GAME OVER
    25. CD073-CD48B CONGRATULATIONS
    26. CD48C-CD8E1 LEVEL CLEAR
    27. CD8E2-CDA0B 1UP
    28. CDA0C-CDAD7 CHAOS EMERALD (different header)
    29. CDAD8-CDE85 INVINCIBILITY
    31. D0000-D0567 MENU*   (identical to final?)
    32. D0568-D104F SONIC & KNUCKLES SLOT MACHINE BONUS*
    33. D1050-D1D64 SONIC 3 GUMBALL BONUS*
    34. D1D65-D1F7D ??? LOST TUNE 2*
    In case you missed it:
    Copy and paste the data over the Panic Puppet music and behold. A nice little tune that didn't reach the final build.

It must be noted that the Emerald sound doesn't have a normal header, like in the final version, so there might be even more tunes/sounds between some of these. Also, unsurprisingly, the Gumball machine music is in there, unreferenced like in the final.

EDIT: Last bank's music list completed, thanks to Tweaker.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Can you record the tune? I'm at home right now, so I'm sorry about that. ^^;

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Holyyyyyy shit.

Awe-some.

I think this music was supposed to go to some zone like Spring Stadium, wonder why it didn't make it.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, this is pretty nifty!

Yeah, sounds like something from Spring Stadium, alright... did you find any other music in that area?

If it was the second bank, did you activate it in my sound test rom? Details, please, because there very well may be more of these.

You said you copied it over Panic Puppet's music, right? Did you change a pointer, or replace the data? I find it odd that it would play if you just pasted it in a different location, because then it'd be shifted,.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, I don't think so. I've just compared the music order in both Sonic 3D builds and this seems to be in place of the second boss music, just like the final boss music is replacing the first boss music.

Although it could have been used for anything else if they still hadn't thought about using 2 different boss BGMs at that time. It would have worked quite nicely in a cutscene to present the final boss, for example.

EDIT:
    I'm just doing what I did at the other topic. Copying and pasting music data between "tracks" of the same block. As you can see, it really works.

EDIT2:
    By the way, since the menu BGM is never played in the proto, I can't check the following:
    Code (Text):
    1. D0000-D0567 MENU*   (identical to final?)
    2. D0568-D104F ???
    3. D1050-D1D64 ???
    4. D1D65-???   ???
    Any help is welcome.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  13. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Holy shit. Two new tunes. Great!

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hah, I knew it. Sounds like a mix between the S3D Special Stage and the S&K Slot machine Bonus Stage, neat.

Thanks for listening to my crazy ideas.

EDIT: Just completed the list.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  16. Skaarg

Skaarg

Nice find ther ICEKnight. It's a real catchy tune. It's a shame it got scrapped in the end.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I JUST noticed this... It uses a standard header, just with 0703 - AKA, 6 FM channels and no DAC. The Emerald sound has been like this since Sonic 1. =P

I will look up 0703, however.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    K guys, got a nice treat for you.

Full savestate pack for the beta - one for each tune, used and unused, referenced and not. The ones that ARE referenced are labeled with the appropriate sound test ID... let me know if I missed any.

19. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Both the new bonus Stage Music and the Dungeon Type level sound Awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.