don't click here

Sonic The Hedgehog Extended Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Cinossu, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    What are these giz files you keep posting.

Oh, and bugfix. The Save bonus bug, monochrome Sonic reload bug, and object slowdown bug should all be gone. Same url as before.

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I haven't tested the new bugfix on hardware, but I was able to run your first ROM easily (although I got some address errors, and for all three save rings the game would heavily slow down as I approach them). However, I could do nothing with one of your bugfixes, as when it goes to the GHZ map zone, the pallet would break and I would get an infinite stream of address errors.

Also, in the first ROM, when beating the special stage, the screen would turn purple and I would have to power-cycle my Genesis and reload the ROM. I'll try your new bugfix and see what I get.

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Gens+ video files.

4. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Slight update now that I've played the first ROM a bit more. I couldn't play the newest one, as soon as the GHZ map zone loaded I got an immediate infinite loop of address errors. I'll get the addresses for you in a minute, if it helps you narrow things down.

5. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Sonic The Hedgehog Extended Edition is really good! Awesome work Cinossu.
    (... and I almost called my hack Sonic 2 Extended Edition instead of Sonic 2 Long Version when I first released it :) )

As LocalH, I'm having some huge problems with Genesis Plus (a Mac emulator that's theorically near to behave like real hardware). The entrance seems to work perfectly, but the Green Hill zone map contains some bugs. When you approach act 1, the game mess up graphics. Act 2 is act 1, act 3 is act 2 and etc... Even if the game is new, the boss path is already open. Another thing, saving the game brings all colors to black, except the first pallet line. Well, lots of errors like that, I suspect mostly SRAM related errors. A very good start anyway, that need some work again ;)

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    A few bugs in the latest release:

-Buggy continue screen.
    -In GHZ3, touch the horizontal red spring right before the first log with spikes and keep pressing left. Foreground graphics will appear garbled until Sonic loses some speed.
    -Once you reach said pole with spikes, return to the first breakable wall at the beginning. You won't be able to go down anymore, and Sonic will die in a funny way.
    -When you press A to return to the map field the music and sfx won't play 'till you pause and unpause again, sometimes fading out the music. Perhaps this should only be used if you had finished that level already (a là Mario World).

Other than that, complete awesomeness.

7. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I hadn't even looked at this the first time it came up. :P I'll fix it later.

A problem I do not know how to fix, as it's to do with the way the tiles are drawn off-screen and how many. I'll have to look into it.

DSR problem, I think in the original.

I was only testing the idea of it for now. You can do the pause+A thing on the map itself, and the entrance screen too. It'll take you from the entrance screen diriectly to save 1.

All SRAM bugs, I'm afraid. :/ I need to look into it more, again.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    SRAM is really bitchy about everything you do... What I'd do is look into editing the header settings for SRAM initialization, and see if that helps any. I set my SRAM to even only, and it seems to run okay on hardware, for the most part. I still have a few issues, but hopefully I can work that out eventually.

9. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Lower the ammount of force a red spring gives. Or lower Sonic's top speed are lame workarounds you could try. :P

10. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    I only have one question. If you're doing daytimes on all of the levels, what will you do when you get to starlight? A daytime version would require some major work/art.

11. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    I think just importing Green Hill clouds to Star Light tile set would solves the problem. =P

edit: BUG! =P

In the Entrance give a Super Pell Out for the Left. When you hear the sound of spring, hold left and this will happen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sonic?s giving a massage to the cactus.

=P

12. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    But what about the buildings and ground? It couldn't be black during the day.

13. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    So somehow on the Welcome to Entrance area I somehow got Sonic into a rotating palette. Sonic (and everything using his blue) rotated between blue and white, and had a image trail behind him, stopping after a couple minutes. Somethin to do with certain sequence of presses on the option buttons I assume.

EDIT: Apparently I just need to hit a switch a bunch of times. Jumped on the erease switch for save 2 a bunch and it started again.
    EDIT2: I should play around more before posting shit. Seems its just a fast double press up jump that gets it started. Still get hurt though when you're hit, and ring count doesn't go down. But still, proof of super sonic I'd say.

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I have to say that this looks very impressive. Adding game saves, and adding them in a non menu way is interesting.

15. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    Played it, liked it.

I don't like the idea of having to hunt down a save post in every level just to save (I like how the bosses have one anyway, at least) since as far as I could tell it wasn't on the "main" path anywhere... I didn't find a single one, even when looking for them.

The spindash code also seems a bit buggy, as you will often not spin at all or go slowly, or just jump up into the air if you hold a button and let go of down (which I do often).

16. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    That was what I didn't want to show but left in by accident. ;P There are multiple things in there to do with that, too.

The idea is you have to earn the right to save, or just beat the zone as the ones on the boss levels will be right there for you in the open. It adds more of a challenge than just being able to save after each level automatically.

I'm not too sure about the going slowly, but the charge-up is different to the standard Sonic 2 spindash, as this is the Sonic CD one. I'll look into that bug you mention..

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You have to wait till it charges up, like in Sonic CD.
    Hmm, never happened to me
    If you mean what I'm thinking, that also happens in Sonic 2.

18. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    How are special stages going to work? Still have to play them in order, or will there be a sort of special stage entrance world like the rest of the levels?

19. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I think the Sonic CD Spindash was pretty poor in honesty mainly due to how slow it was and how sometimes you couldnt actually spindash! I always preferred Sonic 2's spindash as it actually seems to work :(

DJ

20. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Look, I know a lot of people like the Sonic 2 spindash better than the Sonic CD one, but to be honest, tough shit. :P Everyone uses the Sonic 2 spindash, and you can literally tap down and a button and shoot off straight away. It makes things too easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.