don't click here

Sonic 1 GBA

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shakidna, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robjoe

Robjoe

The drowning animation when dieing is alright, it works fine (not the classic one, but there's worse...). I am horrified by the slow-down, though. It looks terribly annoying. Also, has anyone noticed that EVERY horizontal spring is flipped upside-down? D=

2. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
  3. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Sonic for GBA: The new way to burn money.

*Brandishes his still functional Sega Genesis Cart*

In fact, it may be competitive to buy an original system and cart over that, though I haven't checked eBay lately, so don't quote me on it if you need 100% accuracy.

4. Vangar

Vangar

Oh my god. The whole game is not playing how it should be. The pysics on sonic are screwy, even when sonic dies with the drowning sprite there isn't a smooth fall.

Ugh.

5. I'm not even going to pirate that shit.

6. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Personally, I think the progress with this game is going along smoothly. What's with all the complaints? The game started to slow up a LITTLE bit, at the Spring Yard Zone, so what? At the bottom of it, the sign CLEARLY said that the game was 95% complete (notice how it says 95, and NOT 100). So this means that they still have bugs to iron out. Do you honestly think they would LEAVE it like that, during it's final release?

7. Lath

Lath

( I need to check back here more often, sorry for the late reply ^^; )

I'm not unsulting rush's models, I'm just saying the outline looks weird, you mainly see it during bosses, on the character select menu, ect.

Sonic GBA wise, that looks horable, I hope they bother to fix it before they release it.

8. artyfarty

artyfarty

there is really no point buying it because you got it on mega collection already :P

9. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Yes, note how the sign said 95%, and not something more understandable like maybe 50%. We're not talking about our old friends, the original Sonic Team, anymore. Anyone who thinks that something like this, being shown off in even a relatively private setting, AND being labeled 95% complete, is going to be corrected by NEW "developers" in THIS era are clearly in delusion

Regardless of what many people may have been saying to this point, Yuji Naka was Sega's LAST thread of sanity. I don't think anyone with any sort of sense could deny how much more steeply things have dropped NOW in his absence.

It seems we're in for pretty much the same thing as the mobile re-write, with the exception of the half-assed spindash, and the SLIGHTLY higher frame-rate.. Why the hell they would allow a bunch of assholes who graduated from I-Couldn't-Write-A-Real-Program-To-Save-My-Live University to handle their most important franchise like this is beyond comprehension.. Naka didn't even GO to college (from what I've read) and he's a damned genius when he's let to program. The assholes over at Glu (Sonic mobile port) can't wrap their head around the idea of scaling down a system of measurement to better suit power-of-two math (They use the 360 degree system rather than a scaled 256 degree system), and then go ahead and use floating point math, separate un-tabled functions for sin and cos, and stick to multiply, divide, and modulus instead of bitshift and AND operations. And then they have the nerve to brag on their website about how much emphasis they supposedly put into "optimizing" their ports/remakes for underpowered systems...

The moral of the story is, I hate how the video game market has been perverted into quick-fix moneymaking for no-talent know-nothings who think DeVry is a good idea when they're endorsed by Vivindi, the company who recently said that they don't care how shitty and rushed their games are because they "know" they'll have a "built-in market" if their comic and movie-based games ship on the same day as the release of the original material, and I have absolutely no faith in these people, ESPECIALLY when the game is being demonstrated publically, or even privately to other "professionals", in THIS condition, at 95%. The other 5% is pretty much just putting it in the damned box and shipping it to the store
    (Note: I know there are other "specialty" "universities" other than DeVry, and I feel the exact same way about all of them, including ones "dedicated" to other professions)

10. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Sonic Team != Sega
    And even then, the Sonic Team hs made a few great games outside the Sonic series. Feel the Magic? Puyo Fever?

11. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    That's the problem, the only reason I ever REALLY liked Sega was for Sonic Team. From my perspective, they've done much less lately than they've ever done in the past (in the way of anything GOOD), and with Sonic going down the drain, they're left with nothing. I already have a great dislike for their American side, and I really don't think that the Japanese side is far behind anymore... And again, from my perspective, the European side was never really anything but a joke

The fact that Sonic Team doesn't make up the entirety of Sega isn't even the point. The POINT is that it seems that any sanity in terms of Sonic has been lost. They're now free to just throw him to whoever's willing to pay a shiny new nickel just so they can make some money. I don't think there's really anyone left that Sonic actually MEANS anything to anymore...

Also, I personally think dating games are stupid and/or pathetic, and, not having played it yet, I don't see how Puyo Fever can be anything special, being a sequel to a puzzle game, and all (and not even the first, I think?). Not to encite some sort of argument or anything, but I think that was appropriate to express in response to your post

But this has moved beyond the MAIN focus, I think. The primary point was the fact that an extremely poor demo being labeled as 95% complete leaves no room for hope, and, it being a Sonic 1 remake, is a testament to the quckening degredation of the entire video game market

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    It's a shitty port, yeah, but don't you think you just might be making a mountain out of a molehill here?

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Not really... some people have strong feelings towards the original games, and what they stood for, and hate to see what they once loved be brutally raped right in front of thier eyes.

14. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    If you want the original, play the original. It's not like they're taking your Genesis carts away from you and forcing the GBA version upon you.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...it's not a matter of wanting to play it or not, it's a matter of principle. It's like if you had two bars of soap, and someone shit on your spare... you still have that first one, but someone just took a fucking dump on your other bar of soap.

16. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    You know, it's sad if you can't realize what I thought I had stated very clearly
    I'm not creating a fictional problem because of one shitty port. The port is shitty because of a very real problem

Poo on me for recognizing it, I guess. The person with something negative to say is ALWAYS the bad guy

17. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    ... what?
    I get the analogy, but it's a really awful one for the situation. In any case, the two bars of soap were the same, whereas Sonic 1 and Sonic Genesis for GBA are two different creatures.

You're right, there is a problem with game development today. I doubt that's the sole reason for the fucked-up physics in this port, which is one-hundred times more likely to be a simple dumping of Sonic 1 assets onto the Sonic Advance engine as opposed to a port, judging from the Sonic Advance-esque physics, dying animation (slight wobbling and looks like he's drowning), and more sensitive collision.

18. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    If I was the programmer behind that demo, I'd die of embarassment. It doesn't even run properly, and is unsellable in its current state.

19. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    I shouldn't even have used the word "port", really. It's a remake, just like the mobile one (did you see what I said about that one above?). From what I can tell, it's not even Sonic Advance (as I thought it might have been at one point), but is apparantly a total remake of it's own, or even a port of the mobile version (or parts of it). I don't know who exactly is making it, but that's even more screwy.. passing over Sonic Advance to make something even WORSE for it. Probably the biggest clue so far is the slowdown itself.. there is NOTHING about Sonic 1's material that would cause that kind of slowdown if it were built from Sonic Advance, and even then, it doesn't look to perform the same way, and it seems they would have come out with it alot faster if they HAD used Sonic Advance. And further to their discredit, they've made the claim "perfectly ported levels", when their own screen shots show that GHZ's background has been modified (someone complained about them having the opportunity to "fix" something and then not doing it, and someone else complained that the "fix" would render it "not perfect", as if it already were), and I'd also count the solidity layout as something necessary for this "perfection", but several of their shots show Sonic either hovering above or walking inside the ground, which is absolutely ridiculous.. come on, it can't be THAT hard for them to get that much right, can it?

Edit: This discussion took several turns, and the responses originally following this one were moved here to return strictly to Sonic 1 GBA discussion

20. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    The funny part is that Brunni's version of green hill is more playable and faster, than the sega's one. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.