don't click here

Sonic 2 Prototype for $1500

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Anyone willing to pay up $1500 for a prototype which may not have anything new of interest in it clearly has more money than sense. Produce a S3 or S3K beta and I'd be more than willing to put money towards it, but not for something like this. I'll pass on this one.

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Your opinion != fact.

3. EXOGGEDDEN

EXOGGEDDEN

orgasmic Member
    Spending $1500 or more on any kind of prototype is pretty much retarded if you ask me.

Even if you do get ahold of this prototype after paying $1500 for it, you'll probably end up just finding a "never-before-seen" unused sprite or two in it. Wow. Some of you may find this shit interesting, but I really don't think that paying $1500 just to see it is a good idea. Spend your money on something that actually matters.

4. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    Actually, nobody asked you.

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Alrighty... hmmm... Oh! drx, if you haven't used the $120ish I sent you a while back to help pay for the S3D beta (that didn't have to be used because of a sudden large donation), you can use it for getting this proto instead. (I explicitly asked drx to use the money for the S3D Beta, BTW)

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I split out most of the garbage posts.

Please no "sorry, no money" or "it's not worth it" posts, please. drx knows what he is doing, and he didn't ask who doesn't want to/cannot contribute.

7. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Then why are you here?

Seriously. This is called the "Sonic 2 Beta" community. We're all here because of Hidden Palace, now let's go see what it has to offer.

drx, screw what these people say. Keep looking, keep going forward, you're one of the most important people in the community, and you've made leaps ahead of others. :)

8. Wurly

Wurly

:| Tech Member
    Fixed =)

But he's right, keep trying regardless of what everyone else is saying drx. Oh and people, stop saying "It's not woeth it." If it's worth it to drx, which I certainly think it is, then he should keep going for it. Hell, I wouldn't expect any of us to come up with that kind of money just by themselves, so donating was pretty much the best and our only decision. After all, this is not just for drx, but for the community as well, amirite?

9. Have you tried negotiating a lower price with this guy? Or perhaps you have something else in return other than cash?

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    That would be stupid, and is a sure way to get him NOT so sell it.

11. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    To the naysayers, did any of you consider that some people would want to see any proto build of any Sonic game preserved?

12. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Yeah, but only one person gets to keep the cartridge, and we all know who that will be don't we. At the end of it all, the cartridge is the thing of value, not a ROM dump. If this all turns out to be a load of shit and nothing really different, the drx could always sell the cartridge on again to a collector and make money back off it, while the rest of the contributors are left with an empty wallet and a pretty boring ROM. I would quite happily buy a few protos myself, but I wouldn't contribute towards a donation except in extreme cases. I don't see the point in spending a fortune just for someone else to have the privilege of having the item.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I guess it's the way you look at it, as I would consider the data to be much more valuable than the hardware. Also the value will drop 1/3 of the buying price, at most, once it is dumped.

As I said, the value would go way done once it is dumped. Even if this were to happen, what do you think he would do with the money?
    The data is what matters. He isn't buying just to have the previleg of owning it. :/

14. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    All you whiners should just stfu and give me the cart. Problem solved.

15. LocalH

LocalH

...no? I've been under the impression that the largest contributor takes eventual possession of the cart after it's dumped (should they not have the capability to dump their own carts).

I respectfully disagree. To me, the data is far more valuable than the cart itself. Without the data, the same exact PCB would just be yet another blank board. The value derived from it being a prototype is all based on the data it holds.

You keep assuming drx is going to end up owning the cart no matter who contributes or how much they contribute.

Owning the cart is gravy. We're paying to preserve the data on the cart first and foremost (well, at least I am, anyway).

16. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Hopefully it would go towards getting another Prototype :D

DJ

17. LocalH

LocalH

Addendum to this: of course, the cart has value for the reason of being the original copy, and to me personally the value is not lowered by dumping (but, unfortunately, others disagree). I see dumping as the best possible way to preserve any cart, proto or otherwise.

18. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    The cart after dumping will be worth around $200.

Also, why do you care so much about others' money? Why the fuck it's *your* business?

Besides, I'd like to make something straight for you - I'm not getting free carts, I'm not getting _anything_ for free.

First of all, it takes A LOT of fucking time to even find the cart and later to collect as much info as possible to convince anyone to actually give me some money.

Secondly, I *do* spend a lot of money on the protos. Fun fact - hardly anyone who promises donations actually donates after I buy the cart. And guess what, I end up with an empty wallet afterwards. There are few noble exceptions (eg. Aurochs, Techokami, CB), but generally I _DO_ donate the most.

Also, I was thinking of shelling out around $700 for this certain cart. But considering how few donations I'm getting, I'll either get a loan or let it pass. (you can guess what I'm going to choose, anyway :P)

And I'll repeat myself again - stop pretending it's _your_ business who spends his money and how. It's _their_ money. If you want to control peoeple's accounts, try becoming an authority in North Korea, or something.

Also, shut the fuck up about the 'it's not worth it' or 'oooh in my opinion its retarded to spend $1.5k on a useless proto WAAAAAAAH WAAAAAH'. then don't fucking spend, nobody wants your money anyway. does this topic's name say 'OHHH PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT ME COLLECTING MONEY ON A SONIC 2 PROTO. I'm DYING TO HEAR YOUR OPINION'?

besides, it's been said, but I'll repeat - this is a _SONIC 2 BETA MESSAGE BOARD_. The main part of its logo is a _MASTER EMERALD_ from _HIDDEN PALACE ZONE_.

The whole fucking community started because of the _SONIC 2 BETA_ and the _HIDDEN PALACE ZONE_.

Kill yourself. You're wasting your time starting useless arguments that noone except for you and other retards cares about.

PS. I capitalized stuff so you, dunno, read it finally. Maybe you have some problems with reading.

19. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    XDDDDDDDDD!

QFH

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    FUCKING CHRIST.

People who are donating, donate. People who aren't, don't. Christ guys, do we REALLY need a flamewar arising over this? Think about it, man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.