don't click here

Sonic 2 Prototype for $1500

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    So, I found a Sonic 2 Prototype. I need $1500. I'm currently counting how much money I have left after buying some 3 protos and that Sonic Crackers one, but probably I'll need around $1500 total.

Owner/seller

The seller was an associate producer (whatever the fuck it means) in the VG&CE magazine. This Sonic 2 proto I found was preview exclusively for VG&CE, and I bought that magazine it was previewed in. Scans below. The seller is a very busy guy, so I have to buy this proto real quick, or it'll go away (he very rarely has free time, and he got this proto out of storage just for me, he wouldn't even think about it for anything lower than $1500).

What's inside?

After some intensive analysis (:P), I've come up with some facts:

-the proto IS the previewed proto (the one I have scans and screens of).
    -it's probably LATER than the one we have (look here and compare with the level order on Page 1 of the preview)
    -it's probably different than the one we have (look above), because it's been EXCLUSIVELY previewed by the magazine, and the proto we have was an E3 or CGE build that was stolen during the fair
    -there's other stuff that's inside the scans, that I'm unsure of, so examine the scans and tell me what more you can find

So. Please donate $1500. I know it sounds lame, but I need it quite quickly. You know, I wish I was able to fully pay for this, but I'm not rich unfortunately.

If you can donate, please email me at [email protected] (I check my email every hour except for nights). It's important that I get the money as soon as possible (like I said, the guy can change his mind if I wait too long). Should you have _any_ questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Oh, and if you will be able to, eg. donate me a big sum of money, but now now (like, in 2 weeks), I could take a quick loan and then you could send it to me when you're ready. But you must be quite sure that you'll be able to do it.

The promised scans

http://trash.drx.pl/vgce/s2_vgce_01.jpg - Page 1
    http://trash.drx.pl/vgce/s2_vgce_02.jpg - Page 2
    http://trash.drx.pl/vgce/s2_vgce_03.jpg - Page 3
    http://trash.drx.pl/vgce/s2_vgce_cover.jpg - Front cover of the issue
    http://trash.drx.pl/vgce/vgce_dolphin.jpg - Bonus, info about the 'Dolphin' game. Notice how the author mentions playing a 1-stage demo. Could this be the next Feel? =)

Thanks
    drx

I hope we get the fucker

Edit: I've confirmed that paypal will work for me. My paypal address is: [email protected]

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Should I post this over at Lost Levels? Do you care who ends up owning the cart as long as it gets dumped? Can I dump it if we get it? =P

How long is it available? If you can wait until this coming Thursday or Friday I can send you $150. If you can hold out an additional two weeks (doubtful) I can throw in another $100.

3. Wurly

Wurly

:| Tech Member
    Drx, you are my new god. I shall worship you in any way possible. I shall try and donate as much as I can, but I doubt I will be able to, considering the whole ' no you can't donate to someone who we don't even know on the internets' quote from my parents. But yeah, the impact you will make on the community by obtaining all these protos is probably the biggest impact anyone has ever made. Kudos to you man, kudos. :thumbsup:

4. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Good job drx! <3333333333

Does the seller still have the S2 GG cart? That looks interesting.

5. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    No. I'm not going to condone paying $1,500 for anything, you're on your own with this one.

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    ok I rarely donate money to anything, but I could probably shell out 100 if its needed.

7. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    yea, it's quite needed =P

8. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    you could always give it to some friend of yours so he could transfer them to me or something =P

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So many Sonic prototypes lately. Hopefully a Sonic 3 one is found soon. Love to help, but I'm broke and still live at home so you guys are on your own but please win.

As for the ROM itself, I hope it's worth it (A second act for Hidden Palace Zone would kick ass)

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Right, I'm gonna take a leaf out of Cryo's book and say this:

I don't want this topic full of nothing but "omg dats so awesome but im broke sry ;_;" posts. It makes the job all the harder for drx to find what posts ARE willing to help him get this beta. Don't post unless you have something useful or insightful to add... and especially if you can help drx pay for the new beta.

With that said, I may be able to contribute $20 or so, but I'd need to do it through someone else, since I can't get a PayPal yet. Anyone willing to set something up with me?

11. Anyone I know who would be interested in stuff like this, I'll be extra willing to spread the word.

12. CheeseBacon

CheeseBacon

I am the greatest character ever. Member
    Flash
    I'm down for $80. I'll talk to you on IRC to get your paypal information.

Also, Tweaker if you want somebody to try to set something up with, I'd be willing to help.

13. Vangar

Vangar

We know that HPZ wasn't worked on anymore apart from auto-tubes, so why is $1.5K worth it for what we already have? it will be inbetween the final and the beta... I don't think there will be anything new.

Also, where did Sonic 3D beta go?

14. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    If it was generated in the same fashion as the ROM we already have, it may have different leftovers. Especially if they used multiple boards to hold WIP versions, and if this cart had been used for an earlier build.

Not that it bears anything on the current situation, but out of pure curiousity, what would the response be if this was the Nick Arcade build? I know that's my second most wanted Sonic proto.

15. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I would be amazed if this was the Nick Arcade build but would be fantastic if that was the case. My most wanted proto is one in between the one we currently have and the Final Sonic 2 to see what changes took affect during the mid way point.

DJ

16. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    It's not the Nick Arcade build, Tweaker LocalH used it as an example. drx said this build was made exclusively for the magazine and it's later than the prototype we already have.

That said, my birthday is soon, so if I'm lucky I might be able to arrange something with friends who do have PayPal.

EDIT: If everyone would stop using the same avatar...[/rant]

17. Vangar

Vangar

*Local-H posted that.

I see how this could have new leftovers from previous burns. but for that much money that's a bit risky.

18. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    But wouldnt it be nice to have as much info as possible about the different Prototype versions of Sonic 2? The price is very expensive its like £700 in GBP which is a heck of a lot of money for something which is 14 years old and is an incomplete version of a game.

DJ

19. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Not worth it in my opinion.

20. Robjoe

Robjoe

You're talking like it's special just because of the large bill. I personally am starting to think this may not be so good, considering the $1500 price tag. If it gets dumped, I'll be on it like [insert clever comparison here], but if we miss it, I don't think it'll hurt so bad. The theory that it may have leftover data from other builds due to the flashcart is plausible, but as Vangar said, not necessarily something to bank on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.