don't click here

Sonic 1 Beta Remake Update Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by AbsoluteG, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah, anti-leech it was.
    Nice videos, btw. I'm going to rapidshare them for future reference.

edit: done.

2. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I think the star ball Robotnik uses looks a bit stupid, im glad they changed that for the Final release. 50 Rings = 1 Up isn't normal Sonic behaviour I prefer it to be 100.

DJ

3. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    I agree with you, but if this is a “Sonic 1 Beta Remake” must reproduce the maximum of "beta features".
    Memember it this a "Sonic 1 Beta Remake" and not a "Sonic 1 Delta" where everything that we want would be in on the full game.

4. nineko

nineko

italy
    Also, is it really possible to edit the ring threshold for the extra life? And, why do you get an extra life only at 100 and 200, and not every 100?

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Changing the number of rings required for an extra life is as simple as changing a word in the ring object code. When you get 100 rings, a flag is set to stop you losing your rings and getting 100 again. Same goes for 200 rings. After that, the game is programmed not to allow you to get any more lives, regardless of ring amounts. This can also be easily changed.

6. nineko

nineko

italy
    I see. Thank you, Stephen :)

7. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

disgusted by origins plus Oldbie
    A black Hole
    life and shit..., a sonic 1 remake
    Just to let everyone know that I am still working on this hack, I added and improved on a few things I didn't get the chance to change or add before I released version 0.01.

Animated pillar rings in MZ
    [​IMG]
    I am also in the process of touching up the UFO's, so they look more realistic( last time they were resized from that one set of tiles, and They kinda looked resized, and odd.)

more detailed, and animated MZ Lava

[​IMG]
    Old MZ Lava(Current release)

[​IMG]
    New MZ Lava(Upcoming Version)

8. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Why haven't I noticed this thread before? :o
    Gotta add this to my list.

I really love that lava effect.

9. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Emerald Hill Zone
    New lava looks very good my friend, looks as if you took notice of what was said about that, I love your BETA Remake I think its fantastic!

Any news on when you might release a v 0.02?

DJ

10. Gurluas2000

Gurluas2000

Iposatu the Demon Lord Member
    I suggest adding splats the bunny in Green Hill
    and the sideway spikes...

11. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Emerald Hill Zone
    If my memory serves me correctly he has splats the bunny in Star Light Zone, im sure it wouldnt be too difficult to make it appear in Green Hill Zone.

DJ

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Eh... If you ask me, you wouldn't fare too badly with some dithering on that lava pattern. It'd make it look more detailed.

If this represents the beta lava, I've never seen it. Do you have the screenshot you used as a reference for it?

13. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Emerald Hill Zone
    isn't there a prototype Marble Zone shot which shows you messed up tiles in mid air and you can see the Lava pattern? I believe its similar to this BETA Remake.

DJ

14. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I thought in the 0.01, Splat the bunny's movements were very odd, and his mapping was off, because he would be in the floor when he stood still.

15. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    that's normal because he replaced the Grounder robot's graphics.

16. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    ...there is no Grounder in S1. You must mean the Motobug =P

Also, Tweaker:

[​IMG]

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
  18. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

disgusted by origins plus Oldbie
    A black Hole
    life and shit..., a sonic 1 remake
    That was a mistake in the positioning with the mappings, that will be fixed in the upcoming version. and as for the movement, it was odd because I couldn't figure out in ASM what instruction caused him to stop for a second. I got Splats working almost perfectly now.

19. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    There were some things I noticed when I first played this, but I didn't bother to mention them at the time for one reason or another... anyway, the two that I remember were the filesize and the Sega sound. Their target cart size was 512k, so it shouldn't ever have been any larger than that. Also, the Sega sound was a last minute replacement for another feature they wanted to work in but didn't have time to implement. When they had to trash the animated sound test menu they wanted, they decided to throw in the Sega sound as space-filler. I was just thinking that taking care of those issues would help further it's "genuineness"

20. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I have another question, Will the un-used special stage icons be used, if not, you could take them out for a little space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.