don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I noticed that Shadow has a pretty pronounced fur texture on his model like Sonic did in Frontiers. Reminds me a lot of the fur texture he had in SA2.
    [​IMG]
    kind of looks like a carpet imo lol

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Holy crap, that backdrop looks incredible...

P.S. Katie claims she's passing along requests NOT to Delist the old Steam version and that they're aware of the potential issue with a huge, old mod community.
    https://twitter.com/KatieChrz/status/1752878349037580714

Since Sega does seem to listen to (non-Denuvo related) requests, who knows?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    I like the carpet fur. It's similar to the Dreamcast-era texturing like you said and just feels more appropriate for mascot character designs than something more "realistic" would. I think the problem there is it's just too reflective. Shadow looks dusty in that pic lol.

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    IMO the win-win for SEGA and the fanbase is that you won't be able to purchase Gens from its page anymore, but buying Shadow gens automatically gives you the legacy version for mods. That way everyone would be happy, it wouldn't cut into Shadow gens profits and we would still have mods.

5. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Yeah I think I'm fine with this too. I've seen a lot of bad fan mock ups of Sonic characters with fur which go way too overboard with it. I think this kind of texture looks better because it's more subtle and not as obvious. I think some characters might look a bit uncanny with fur, I'm still trying to imagine how Rouge would look. Would Vector and Espio get scales? lol

I'm just holding out hope that one day they'll go in the polar opposite direction and make a cel-shaded Sonic game with super stylized visuals.

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Imagine if they went with these really cursed 06 concept artworks. Would silver get rusty in this scenario
    upload_2024-2-1_14-24-28.png
    upload_2024-2-1_14-24-36.png

7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    [​IMG]

8. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Where did you get this video file? Earlier today, I asked for a download link to the trailer in the best image quality, so thank you for providing this link. I'm guessing your link currently has the best image quality for the trailer?

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Given "mirror" is a common word and "miller" isn't, I don't think it's the case that they "got it wrong" here (unlike the "crackers"/"clackers" case). It's more likely deliberate obfuscation, or some basic wordplay.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Would also note that while the Ls and Rs share the syllable, O and E do not.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    In cases like this don't they give the new version out free for existing owners?

I don't see that happening if so.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Depends entirely on the publisher. There is no standard that any publisher follows and no platform service inforces these kind of things. This isn't being marketed as an update to the old game, but as an entirely new release after all.

I don't think that solution is a win-win since if you just wanted the old PC version without the Shadow stuff or the updated version, you're forced to buy it at the increased price instead of the current reduced price. The ideal solution would be to just leave it alone, but SEGA already has a precedent of delisting older versions so that they don't compete with the new releases. Buy your copy now if you haven't already in the last 13 years.

13. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    I think you're right but I also do think they meant to say "Mirror", lol. The Katakana translates Miller to ミラー (miraa), which means Mirror in Japanese.

14. The game was gonna be delisted whether they added the Shadow stuff or not, as was the case when Origins came out.

15. E107- Theta

E107- Theta

Texas
    I'm excited for this game because its being written by an actually half-competent director for once.

16. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Hoping we get a marathon mode of sorts that allows us to go through all the levels and get a time for the run by the end.

17. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

Yeah, the Egg Shuttle was one of my favorite things in Colors, and it sucks how few 3D Sonics have something like it.

18. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Well we're tying into Shadow the Hedgehog so let's bring back Expert Mode. :eng99:

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I mean, I wouldn't say Bowser's Fury isn't based off Mario Odyssey...

20. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    You know what I mean tho :p. In terms of gameplay engine.