don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't mind if they keep the sliders for extreme customisability. I take issue with the default controls not being good and being told to mess about with control sliders in the options menu.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. expansivelovestories

expansivelovestories

reality is profoundly synergistic Member
    Superstars being out of nowhere made me not remember for a while what's coming to Frontiers sometime later this year!! Theoretically, given that the new story DLC will be released, there is a good version of Knuckles, Amy and Tails' gameplay in not only 3D but open zone style, which we really don't know anything about yet!! :) :)

But also plausibly some new additions to Sonic's gameplay and zone styles too!!

3. I'm very curious to see what they will do with Tails and especially Amy on the gameplay.

I doubt it, but for Tails' case, it would be awesome if they'd use some inspiration from Sonic Battle, I think that would fit with Frontiers' combos attack.

4. ELS

ELS

In your clip, it seems there's another one standing around. I don't have that. Also, I did touch that part of the arena, I touched every inch of the arena.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The one that's just dancing around the arena is the "decorative Giganto" that you can see off in the distance after encountering him and Sage in the middle of Kronos Island. He won't be there if you haven't reached that part of the story (which I'm guessing you haven't, because speed running).

My only guess is that you're not actually hitting the trigger point like you think you are. But you're probably better off asking in speed running communities for advice. They'll know the ins and out of tricks like this much more.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. It’s a very small area that has the trigger. The only time I tried, it took me like 2-3 minutes of running back and forth in a specific spot to finally cross over it.

7. ELS

ELS

I ended up finding it, now I'm trying to cheese Ares. Seems like you need to make it past that canned chase sequence then you need to slingshot to the arena and it's sadly the last major skip in the game.

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I have no clue how people say that the default high speed controls *aren't* good, unless they just don't use the high speed controls? Maybe I've just played with Max stats for too long to remember but I don't think it would take that long for things to balance out naturally.

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've spoken at length about the terrible controls in Frontiers so will just copy my previous statements here.

Rail Grinding

To begin, the rail controls are still broken in the open world. Sonic still loses all momentum and slows down when he jumps and continues to do so the longer he is in the air. Not a huge deal throughout but it does make Chaos Island even more insufferable than it already is. Traversing those confusing rail systems with the broken rail controls was pretty dreadful.

The rail controls in the Rhea tower climbs are so broken that I reversed back into Sonic 06 territory of relying on automation and pressing nothing in the hopes I didn't fall. I pressed no buttons and allowed the game's automation to lead me up from the rail to the hoops above because anything else was just pitiful in getting height. Sonic would lose all speed as soon as he jumped.

Sonic's air control

Sonic's rigidity in air is a problem. He similarly is very unresponsive to adjusting his air direction in the open world once he is committed to a running jump (not boosting or jogging). This was often a problem when I would jump right and try to direct myself back left but Sonic would refuse to avert his course back left. Again the double jump is completely useless when surely it should have a purpose of correcting jumps.

Sonic's air control is so bad that I would say that even Generations' air control (which is honestly pretty bad) is perhaps better. Certainly below the standards of Sonic Adventure (which isn't good by any metric).

2D controls are the worst in the series by a large margin

The 2D in the Sonic Frontiers cyberspace levels are so astonishingly awful that I feel the need to explain them. To be clear, I think Frontiers has absolutely terrible controls in all aspects and find it embarrassing that so many fans are defending the controls as 'the best 3D Sonic has ever played' when the controls are so clearly and demonstrably shocking. I know that sounds like a very judgemental thing to say but I'm sure most people here would say the same about Sonic 4. And I genuinely believe this game has far worse controls than Sonic 4.

To stick to the topic of Frontiers 2D cyberspace levels...

If we were to use a tier list then Sonic 4 would be an E and Frontiers' cyberspace 2D levels would be a U. Genuinely borderline unplayable.

You've made me load up Frontiers after not playing it since completing it just so I can explain how much I hate the controls :V

First of all, the rails in 2D. Unplayable. Absolutely atrocious. You lose all speed every time you jump. And somehow you actually increasingly lose speed the longer you are in the air regardless of whether you hold forwards on the thumbstick or your forwards momentum. So unless you are boosting the rails in 2D are essentially broken. This results in constantly boosting and hoping you don't fall in a pit. The game mitigates these dreadful controls with automation, but unfortunately the controls are so awful that the automation is often not 'timed' correctly and you end up falling when hitting boosters and jumping.

Sonic's ground controls. His startup speed is absolutely abysmal. It results in missing most jumps, even very small ones, because of how incredibly slow his startup speed is from a standstill. It takes many seconds for his little jog to approach anything near acceptable. Again, you end up thoughtlessly boosting to deal with the game's controls.

When you are running forwards, it is basically impossible to turn backwards once you have jumped forwards. Sonic delays for a noticeable amount of time and nudges back very slightly. This is present also in the 3D controls. I'm talking about running and not walking here. The double jump is useless in correcting your course which should surely be the point of it (in addition to extending jumps).

Sonic also has terrible physics which are similar to those of Sonic 4 (walking on walls, getting automated backwards onto springs, etc). But unlike Sonic 4, his actual core movement is disgusting and I would therefore consider the controls of Frontiers to be way worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Kyro

Kyro

There IS a way to skip the pinball section on Chaos island, but from what ive seen, its a lot more complicated than the other skips. There are also some sequence breaks on chaos island, Like skipping the knight chase, but those also seem considerably harder than the boss skips imo

11. Yeah, I did Ares by accident on my second playthrough. Kronos took like 10 minutes.

Pinball… I’m not even going to try. The only runs I care about are unrestricted cyberspace ones because the time investment is much smaller.

12. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. I really didn't think we'd ever see a canon Super form upgrade, or whatever that was. Wish we could've seen some gameplay.

14. Vertette

Vertette

This is what is known as a Super form that has ascended past a Super form. Or you could just call this a Super 2 form.

If this is an epilogue why are they holograms again?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Or Hyper =P

By the sound of it this ending was planned all along, a cynic would say that in this case all three DLCs are just stuff they ran out of time to put in the final game, not just the first two...

I wonder if there'll be a repack physical release with all the DLC in now? It's sold well enough to justify it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Vertette

Vertette

That's a Super 3 form.

I suspect that you might be right on that ending thing, there. At least they got the proper time and budget to make a proper one this time?

17. Snowbound

Snowbound

I remember there being rumors of a new super form so that lends credence to this having been planned… then again I wonder if the rumors were fake but Kishimoto saw demand for a new super form on twitter from the fake rumors and decided to make it real. This has happened in video games before (for instance in Street Fighter 2 the shen long hoax evolved into the official character Akuma)

18. Kyro

Kyro

I hope so, cause if not, the three updates will inevitably become lost media after enough time, unless frontiers were to get a rerelease down the road

19. Lambda

Lambda

Oooooooooo. Supreme is here, Sage is alive, and Tails, Knuckles, & Amy are still Cyber Ghosts. I think this is the edit to Rhea/Ouranos I was hoping it'd be.

Hopefully this provides a more clear and climactic ending to the game.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  20. Snowbound

Snowbound

Yeah ngl I’m a little worried about the extra birthday challenges being removed when update 3 comes along so I’d be all for the dlcs being permanently preserved.

I’m also wondering if additional paid dlc is a possibility next year. Sonic Frontiers has a large userbase with built-in-good will from the free dlc. I think it would be brilliant to charge $5-10 for a Shadow skin to drop as dlc around the release of the third movie. Just give him a couple unique chaos-combat abilities but other than that play like Sonic in a new game+ mode with no cutscenes. It’d be easy money