New Sonic 2 development lore drop - Genocide/Cyber City palette and art!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    My psychic link to Shadsy must have weakened.

Here's the thing - no matter what they write, the Sonic Retro wiki will cover it better. Probably within a matter of hours.

2. CaseyAH_

CaseyAH_

human incarnation of Palmtree Panic 'P' Mix Member
    I would just start assuming its never happening so that way if it does come out then its a nice surprise and if not then its not like you were expecting it to anyway

3. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I sometimes forget that the Wiki is still updated. Some articles related to Sonic 2 prototypes are covered and/or organized better on TCRF.

I would rather not give in to cynicism. There's got to be a better reason than that to give up hope.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Set this as your home page so you'll never forget, and join in with the festivities.

There should be nothing Sonic-related on TCRF that isn't on Sonic Retro.

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Frank Cifaldi is a busy man. Just let him cook.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • List
  6. I agree but there's also a general rule not to leave the stove on and walk away. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I like my meat slow cooked.

8. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    I like my waiter to come by my table and give me updates. Or an appetizer while we wait.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I like my house on fire. Just let the stove run.

In all seriousness, I don't think they gave up, I think they're just still chipping away at it. I also think there isn't a guarantee that there's even that much we haven't seen in what they've got. From Frank's replies to the original tweet, it seems like they might not have a lot to work with.

I'm mostly looking forward to the scans / cleanup work tbh, stuff like those level select maps always make me wonder what Sonic 2-K would've been like if they actually went through with the time travel thing. The dinosaur bots in HillTop could've been... actual dinosaurs.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  10. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I have been very supportive publicly and privately. Frank is no doubt very busy. He has done terrific work.

Advice I try to abide by is to respect your audience. I think it's good advice for everyone. And a tease must come to an end eventually, or you will lose your audience.

I'm going to leave it there for now.

11. Strike while the iron is hot

see? We've got more than cooking jokes. We have smithing jokes too :D

12. synchronizer

synchronizer

The point is, I hope it isn't dead. (because the name of the level is...)
    We can also make meta jokes.

Anyway, yes, it would be nice to get a sign that this is alive.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    If what we have is somehow all we get, I'd argue it's at least meaningful enough to build something fun out of as a community.

However, Frank still actively uses his twitter, and has even commented on the GG Sonic in the past few days. Again, at least some kind of update/plan would be nice here.

Even if SEGA stopped him, he could probably actually say something to that effect.

And again, the fact that the 3 maps were shown in a stream, but a high res version was not immediately released after they hit their fiscal goals (something which I also found a tad questionable) actively pissed me off if I'm being brutally honest. I just held my tongue and tried to be polite given the nature of the situation.

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    IF this is what happened, it’s a culture war. They would never want anyone to see anything but the final product for fear of wanting to use old details for new games (as well as pride)….which we know to be quite true for the franchise.

15. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    1)
    Steamed hams :V They are very good while they not became steamd coals.
    2)
    That times proto at least was in open access on the half of the world :objection:

16. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Oh yeah I forgot it was just stumbled upon instead of recovered. Who knows how long it had been there before the legendary Simon Wai found it.

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    There's a good chunk more. He'll release it when he's ready. A lot of us here have full time jobs and lives outside of this stuff. The stuff in hands will not get lost, trust me on that.

In the meantime have this.

upload_2023-6-27_23-8-58.png

upload_2023-6-27_23-8-37.png

• Like Like x 29
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    omg Sonic's house :eng99:

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    With all the talk of cooking in this thread, that looks suspiciously like an oven...

In all seriousness, I take it that the Pneumatic tube gimmick originated in Cyber City?

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List