don't click here

New Sonic 2 development lore drop - Genocide/Cyber City palette and art!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Also to maybe clear up more confusion, I would put this more on the level artificially colored space photos. The data itself is very real, but it doesn't have anything to get applied to in order to better visualize it. This isn't on the same level as the youtube videos posted above.

2. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Spanish people or just a dumbass using Loquendo software? Cos Loquendo creepypastas are very common on LatAm.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

Respectfully, do we have news on the recently-found materials?

4. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I wanna ask, how much it will take?
    Will we get it at least before the end of this year?

5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1659366037102686209

Frank's last post showed him cleaning up some of the other relevant materials from the 18th, so in all fairness there is some real behind the scenes work happening to present these properly, it seems.

A general update would be nice, though. I confess that I wish we had've just gotten the materials in a dump first since some of the old threads point to some materials behind held onto (accidentally, it seems, at least) for nearly 4 years now. That always makes me nervous. I would not want that to happen again.

6. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Also interesting to note (idk if this was intentional or not) but he specifically called the old concept Maps a "Mario 3 like level select" which plays off a theory some people including myself had in the other Sonic 2 Lore post.

7. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    I know this thread is a bit old at this point, and while the GCZ stuff is neat, I'm honestly most excited to see these official tilemap plane planning sheets!

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    7 weeks - that's longer than our last prime minister.

9. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I wouldn't be surprised if the project was shelved.

10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I don't see how a few weeks of silence could indicate that. The dude does run an entire preservation organization, he's probably got his hands full with other things.

I will agree that some sort of progress update would be nice. Even as much as a "this is still in the works" would be enough to ease worries, and I don't blame people for getting antsy.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I don't think it is.

I think under normal circumstances, this kind of delay would be normal to prepare for a big public splash. I think in our case, because we were supposed to get those other documents several years back, some folks feel like they're simply being teased with something they're already supposed to have. The risk here is this can turn into resentment if folks feel they're being treated as play-things.

However, I would just suggest a bit more patience. While Frank certainly wants to use the work in a way that can raise funds in the foundation (understandable), I'm sure he's also aware that folks here don't want to be dragged along forever (also understandable). I trust he'll get something out before long. I'm not aware of anything he hasn't kept his word on in the past, and there would certainly be no benefit to him doing otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I admit I am beginning to become disappointed with the lack of any more information coming out of this. It’s been almost a month and as far as I can tell it’s been radio silence on this. Im starting to lament at this point that we just got the dump as it was.

13. Jucei

Jucei

I really did think it would have released around Sonic's birthday, seems like a perfect time.
    To be honest I really did forget about all of this, I was getting tired of checking for updates. I do hope it releases soon (at most the end of the year), but at this point it looks to be "someday".

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Even just a marginal update on some kind of planned timeline would be nice. The teases followed by lack of any meaningful updates for months is not the level of professionalism I was hoping for from this group. Revealing the maps through a charity stream in low res only was also not a particularly great way to do it. The fundraising should've triggered the full release of at least those documents.

I don't doubt they have the material for real, nor do I doubt sorting through it takes significant work, but we as a community should be more meaningfully involved in the process. And if that's happening, it should not be total silence for the past month and a half like it has been.

15. Everyone has stuff to do and people get busy...but I've admittedly had my eyes glued to this thread since its creation and had my breath held in between each little post of a new document/discovery or picture or recreation. However, I believe it's time for me to decompress and let it go for now. I would've preferred this be drip fed rather than completely halted with a promise of a huge release.That's not to say I'm not grateful for what we've gotten to see already.

I've missed this excitement and wonder... especially seeing a bunch of oldbies like Varion come back on board to break things down, seeing all the dots getting connected.

It feels like we were doing what we did best as a community and this thread was wonderful to ride and brought me back to the good old days, even made me update my account and actually post on the forum more. This was exciting, thanks everyone. :)

16. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe Sega got wind and shut them down. :V
    I’m kidding. I hope. ​

17. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    That's kinda why I said I wouldn't be surprised if it was shelved. Sega has a history of not looking too kindly on old developers dumping contents of old games. I seem to recall Totoya and Ohshima having to delete their tweets when they shared old concept artwork that hadn't been seen before, or talked about cut concepts. The fact that TheRedEye hasn't posted here in almost two whole months now is a little alarming and makes me think something happened where someone, somewhere, said "please, please don't share this".

It's also possible that the project has gotten to a point where a release is no longer profitable, and they're waiting for an opportunity when it would be again.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  18. RDNexus

RDNexus

And THAT, in my honest opinion...SUCKS!!!
    It's 2023! Haven't devs noticed by NOW that franchise fans usually crave development stuff to document, analyse, comment and praise as a sign of progress?
    How many times have fans asked the companies to let them know more?
    To know about how each game came to be, how it started and progressed...
    Heck, they could release special editions of certain games with documentaries about those, many people might beget them like hot cakes.
    Nobody seems to be after medals of shame of the devs, rather they yearn for medals of effort and accomplishment.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

This is why sometimes perfectionism is bad. They could’ve released materials and written detailed analysis later.

20. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Maybe I'm riding high on delusion but I still have hope. Most of my hope is mostly off the idea that they're just silently putting everything together. Besides, people have been waiting since 1992 anyway (or when the Simon Wai proto was leaked in '98) to see one of the most infamous cut levels in all of gaming, so what's a bit longer to make sure it's given the attention it deserves.

I wish they'd update more on progress, or just checking in to say "hey we' re all good still just taking a bit". But if at the end of the road we get this stuff then it'll be worth it with the worry being for nothing.

I mean it's not like things haven't moved slowly in the sonic fanbase before to find prototypes or whatnot. Maybe because I've never been behind the scenes on any restoration / recovery project but I'm used to the wait and dont think it's too worrying yet.