don't click here

Things to mirror

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
  2. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    UPDATE: Been through all the PC Engine stuff, and now the list has been fully populated with anything we may be missing: https://necretro.org/NEC_Retro:Todo/Sub-pages#Japanese_stuff

When it comes to picking out what cheats are bugs, I've come across multiple where it specifies "unplug the multitap and insert one pad to control multiple players at once", which sounds more like a quirk regarding the PC Engine hardware than an actual bug, and I don't think you can replicate that properly on an emulator, so after a certain point I've ignored such bugs. If you come across a game reported to have a bug, but it's just the whole multitap quirk, ignore it and probably remove it from that todo list too.

Also many games are in Japanese, so if anyone wants to help but aren't fluent in Japanese, good luck for some of them (especially text-heavy games like RPGs).

3. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

https://twitter.com/forestillusion Was hosting torrents for Famitsu, now closed down. Anyone keep the torrent links? I hadn't gotten around to uploading many of them.

4. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

5. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  7. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Last edited: May 14, 2023
  9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm not overly sure how much we care, but it is fascinating:

https://archive.org/details/@roovahlees

You're making a "realistic" video game in the 1990s - where do you get the textures from? Compact disc!

[​IMG]

Look a CD entirely dedicated to water photos. Get John Linneman on the phone.

Some of these are marked as having been used in Sega games. Someone who cares more might be able to identify which ones.

10. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    OMG, look at all those beautiful textures. I remember my ex-boss having boxes full of these... stored on 35mm slides. I've heard using them without permission is not cool, and almost as bad (if not worse) than sharing fanart without crediting the artist on Twitter.

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  12. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
  13. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Google image search

"site:psxplanet.ru/forum dreamcast kudos"

This community has been dumping bootleg Dreamcast games from Russia (among other things), and with that comes scans. The scans are useful... but there's hundreds, and it takes a long time to get things done. However I also noticed some of their chosen image hosts are breaking, so we probably want to jump on this sooner rather than later.

This task requires a brain and a set of working eyes.

Some of these are not scans - we don't want those. Nor do we really need the official US/EU/JP covers. Only a small group of companies were involved in these activities in the early 2000s: Kudos, Paradox, Playzero, RGR Studio and Vector (company) - if it doesn't look like it was made by one of those, we might not care. Though we might - that's where the "brain" bit comes in.

There are also gaps in our knowledge. "site:ru dreamcast kudos", and within ten results:
    [​IMG]
    ...variants we don't have documented. You may need to copy-paste and make some bootleg sub-pages.

The really weird ones are currently still living on Dreamcast bootleg games. Some of this is still in flux as I try and work out a decent plan.

15. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'll grab what I can and dump it with a separate tag on Sega Retro.

Edit:
    bootlegs.PNG
    I quickly copy-pasted the thread titles and will leave it for now. I'll take care of the file names tomorrow.

Edit2:
    File names:
    bootlegs2.PNG

Edit3:
    Stuff goes here, if that's OK for you.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'm on page 3 out of 13 and will upload all of them, since some have multiple versions with individual artwork etc. or seem to have better quality in general.

I've put them here.

Feel free to delete the ones you don't need.

18. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
  19. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
  20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I've been tracking down-budget re-releases over the last few days and discovered that Cenega, Sega's Polish/Czech/Hungarian distributor, keeps detailed records:

https://cenega.pl/katalog
    https://cenega.cz/katalog
    https://cenega.hu/jatekkatalogus

It was while improving our Premium Games and Classics Collection coverage that I realised that Cenega released standard editions too. So ten years' worth of physical Sega games - that's a lot.

I've also found iterations of games that we're not documenting (properly), so I ought to sort that out.