don't click here

Sega to acquire Rovio Entertainment, creators of Angry Birds, for $1 billion

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by jubbalub, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Angry Birds still makes money? How?

2. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Here's a breakdown of Rovio's revenue from their 2022 annual report. The report also says they had 6.7 million daily users, so it seems their games are still very popular. Rovio.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Londinium

Londinium

Bloody hell, and here I was thinking Rovio was dead in the water after the Angry Birds bust

4. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    What bust are you talking about? I stopped playing or paying attention to Angry Birds years ago when they started adding micro-transactions to their games, so I might have already left when this bust happened.

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    People keep talking about Rovio "busting" but that ignores reality. Again, they've *always* been profitable, and their profits have risen basically every year of their existence:

[​IMG]

2022 was their most profitable year ever.

There is no bust. Angry Birds has remained super profitable.

6. Londinium

Londinium

According to Google Trends, Angry Birds hit a peak in 2011-2012 and fell off quickly. I call the era after 2014-15 the bust, because from then on I can't remember a single person who cared about Angry Birds.

Again, that's personally. The fact they remained profitable puzzles me.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    An exceedingly poor metric. Just because people weren't googling angry birds doesn't mean they weren't buying the games. 2012 was 4 years before the Angry Birds movie, which was, before Sonic the Hedgehog, the most profitable video game movie ever at $352 million. Angry Birds 2 (the game) released in 2015 and has grossed $650 million since. Between the movie and the game, that's $1 billion in revenue. Angry Birds 2 is 8 years old and is still the 9th most downloaded game by month on Google Play.

The era you call "the bust" is right at the start of when Angry Birds, the franchise, made the majority of its profits.

8. Londinium

Londinium

So strange to believe Angry Birds made so much money after what I call the bust. Everyone I knew grew up and stopped playing it, I just assumed it died and the movies were a last ditch attempt to cash in on the series.

9. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    It seems like this "bust" you're talking is more of when Angry Birds cultural relevance ended even if it still was profitable. I took a look at the top 100 grossing games on the app store and recognized almost none of them outside the top ten. It seems that it's entirely possible to be profitable and yet have no cultural impact.
    That's exactly what happened to me. I got old, stopped playing, and since I did not know anyone else that played it, Angry Birds was effectively dead to me. I was just as surprised to see how well it's doing nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    On the contrary, I remember Angry Birds being tolerable at best with a strange microtransaction tumor growing on it, until they suddenly restricted the ever living fuck out of the game into a unfun, railroaded mess by 2019. At the time 3-1 had a nasty physics bug that made 3 stars impossible, so it was literally inviolable. Then they delisted the game!
    I was basically the only guy who stuck around until they pushed me and the remnants of the userbase away LOL

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    SEGA Smash Bros Roster gonna be LIT

13. Sonic, Hatsune Miku, Asuka, Kiryu, Beat, Red and Alex Kidd in same game would be neat.

14. Londinium

Londinium

[​IMG]
    The image Sega used looks like a meme

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Laughing my ass off at the fact that the fuckin angry birds renders look miles better than the sonic ones

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List