don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    There's dozens of us!1!!1

2. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Here, I wish I could use Sonic 3 sprites in all games. Specially over Sonic 2's, those are ugly to me.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I think a combination of the two, personally, would be best. Just a matter of going about actually combining them.

4. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I'd say buy the DLC if you think it's worth it not for the idea of a Mania 2. As Sega has shown they don't like doing things that the majority of us enjoy so the chances of it suddenly happening now are slimmer than several years ago. I hope they do but yeaa. I will say however Headcannon deserves all they can get. I really wish Sega would invest in the studio and the contractors to get Stealth the financial freedom to make a new IP. That's a different thing for a different time though.

5. Jucei

Jucei

Eh, if that were true, then we would have never gotten Sonic Mania in the first place. At least for now, they still are willing to work with Headcannon, and seem to have given them a bit more control of the project, so perhaps we may see something more come out of it.
    Now, if I were Sega, I'd have been made a Mania 2, but that's besides the point.

6. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    RE: sprite war, I think the best sprites are the Sonic CD sprites, BUT with the Sonic 2 palette and Sonic's face transplanted from Sonic 2.

This is basically what Taxman did for his Retro Sonic engine tests...

and the skeleton for the Sonic Mania sprites if you look carefully.

[​IMG]

I always thought the Sonic 3 sprites look funky for many reasons, but the main one of the waiting sprites... Sonic is "looking at you" but his head doesn't turn from his standing pose. While on all previous games, he actually turned his head around slightly. It looks so uncanny to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'd like to think, given Steath's relationship with this community, it was all checked out and authorised, but if not... eek.

Not that "edits of edits" can be seen in the same light as completely stealing fan art, but it wouldn't be a great look.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Save for the shade of blue somewhat, Mania Sonic is my definitive classic Sonic. Takes the best of all the sprites imo

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    He's not sliding in the air.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  10. Vertette

Vertette

Yeah I never liked the slide walk in CD. Walk animations definitely need some bounce. Apparently it was a hardware problem so it sounds like there's not much they could've done about it though.

11. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
  12. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    You're going to need to elaborate on this, now.

14. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Hardware problem? That makes no sense. They could have aligned the sprite any way they wished. I suspect it was just laziness. Sonic reuses the top 16 pixels of his head throughout the frames. They probably just slapped the tiles in and didn't shift the overall sprite, probably didn't even occur to them. Weirdly, Crackers inherits this, but the bounce is reintroduced by the time he became Mighty.

15. Vertette

Vertette

I forgot the details, but someone once mentioned something about it and it sounded vaguely believable at the time. Something about not enough space for more tiles and that the hardware itself couldn't bob the sprite either? That said it's very likely I was fed some horsecrap, of course.

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Isn't it just that they adjusted the mappings for the walk cycle frames compared to Sonic 1, realigning the sprites based on keeping the head in a consistent position, as opposed to the originals which were aligned based on how the feet should contact with the floor? A change which of course made it look really weird, as the head bounce in the original was clearly intentionally drawn in and was part of what made the motion look more natural.

17. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    I've always thought Sonic 1 had the mistake with the bounce (because that one sprite is placed one pixel above the ground) and Sonic CD had fixed it...

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Something always felt off in CD and I couldn’t tell until I was informed of this and now I can’t unsee it.

Speaking of CD it’d be a solid addition to add an option for Genesis sfx and drowning music. Adding the roll noise would be nice too

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So I got a bit bored for a bit and decided to try and fix that for kicks. Bad sprite work inbound:
    [​IMG]

Fully looping:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that would've fit much better than the constant pointing to the side but looking at the player...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That edit is great, but I also don't see the problem in the original sprite either. Sonic is giving the player some serious side-eye on the S3 sprite. It works well to how how pissed Sonic is at the player. He's bored.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List