don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. MH MD

MH MD

Deluxe was actually just $5 more.

the Plus upgrade actually includes the deluxe content In addition to Amy and GG games and stuff, so in a way, the plus expansion REALLY is a $5 more

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

I do wonder how much they'll change/add outside of the feature event of the big paid DLC. I'd love to see Taxman/Stealth's cut SCD levels or their desire to make S3&K's multiplayer Zones their own full-on single-player levels. Perhaps you could argue something large scale could be another selling point of Plus if it was there, but maybe it's different with quick levels or stuff they might've previously planned to include in a remaster? Might also be a little awkward considering Desert Dazzle basically became Mirage Saloon, albeit a completely non-SCD level (there's also a couple ideas of Final Fever in Mania, too).

3. Pengi

Pengi

There were still a few glitches and things to be tidied up in that conversion. Does anyone know if those glitches are fixable, or is its current state the best it's going to get? It would be amazing if someone could pick up where it was left off.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah, Mania Plus also felt like a relative upgrade compared to Origins Plus, TWO new characters, a new campaign mode, 3-4 player, and several other extra bits of gloss.

It's why I'm hoping there's a bit more to this DLC than they've advertised, since it feels like a less effortful upgrade for twice the price.

5. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Many people seem to have glossed over the fact that this was just an announcement trailer.

Perhaps they’re hiding some extra goodies that will be revealed at a later date? Maybe during the next Sonic Central?

Or it could just be nothing and these are the only details we will get between now and June 23rd

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    From what I remember, they pretty much announced everything Origins would feature alongside the game itself, as they did with Mania Plus. I imagine this will be no different.

7. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    They know better from over a decade of experience. SEGA has more than likely shown its entire hand for this little project.

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Not surprised. The sound is one of the chief complaints and arguably one of the easiest things to fix since they just have to crack open the .acb files and tweak things, but it's the one thing I expect them to never touch because they already got so much flak as it is for the music swaps in the first place.

I still don't know why they had to hijack the entire audio system with HE2 instead of just replacing the individual audio tracks in the game files, though. I believe even the Headcannon team were confused by that one?

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    The original trailer didn’t show the 2P VS mode, which wasn't shown until Famitsu live stream.

The original trailer also didn’t show the missions or museum content. However, these were covered on the website.

11. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    That’s a damn shame.. One simple task and they can’t even do it.. I understand the music has been a thorn in their foot for so many years but come on they need the HQ upgrade

They need to swallow their pride and release HQ versions of 3&K’s OST on an album, whether it’s Data Discs, iTunes, whatever. They did it for 1,2 and CD so why not 3&K?

12. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Haha, SEGA shows their egregious incompetence once again. I'm not wasting my money on this trash.

13. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I'm struggling to see what the problem is with the Frontiers tracks, or how that means anything for Origins?

Yeah, they ported the most recent forms of the music from one game to the free update to another game. They did the simplest job because why wouldn't they, it's an in-game sound test. They went for the cheapest and fastest option. I'm not seeing the issue.

Do people think the Sonic Team making Frontiers DLC is making Origins Plus? I doubt it.

Can't call that "egregious imcompetence", but I've never seen eye to eye with other Sonic fans, it seems.

edit: The tweet explains that this means Origins isn't getting updated tracks because they share assets but that's literally no evidence that Sonic Team has all of Origins Plus' assets, or even that it's finished (considering that they're literally just porting songs, the songs in Frontiers could have been included very early in the update's production).

The assets of Frontiers found in Origins is a mere fraction of the full game's data and clearly not the latest versions.

I also thought this was about the new prototype tracks, but today I learned that people found the 3&K tracks in Origins to be muffled.

But, if you had to actively compare Frontiers' and Origins' tracks in a sound editor to know they're the same... I don't think [the latter's audio quality]'s a big deal.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Ehhh no, people complained about it sounding muffled when it came out. It's not a big deal for PC users who can easily mod it, but that's not everyone.

(even though it should be, abolish consoles)

15. I actually had the same thought when I first tried the Frontiers' jukebox mode. I noticed that when compared to the other songs, the 3&K tracks sounded like there was a slight low-pass filter on them, which made me surmise that they were the same versions from Origins. I have been playing the Mega Drive a good bit lately, so it stood out immediately that the tracks had the high-end cut a bit more than they would have been on the original hardware (and I play on a model 1 which already has a low-pass filter).

The conclusion people are coming to is that if they are using the same audio files from last year's Origins for a new release this year, it is unlikely that they have taken the time to make new rips of the tracks. The analysis of the files is just to prove the poster's suspicions, which I also shared.

It's still not a dealbreaker to me. I pretty much stick to hardware or the decomps when possible. Origins is just a nice release to have for the trophies on PS4 and to play on my Switch, along with the joy of having a physical copy in Plus.

16. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Plus is basically the endgame of patches for Origins, and if the music really is stuck like this, either Sega has a weird mandate against remastering a technically incomplete soundtrack or it's just another ignored, persistent issue we can add to the list alongside poor RSDK scaling (and inconsistent HUD placement between games, to a lesser extent). Guess it really was "some" of the bugs being fixed lol. Don't know if Headcannon/Stealth would've tried suggesting these changes as well, if they were even brought back for Plus and its Amy/Knuckles implementation.

Did we even get verification that The Hidden Palace ever got to send Sega the prototype tracks? Perhaps Sega thought changing existing music in the game and museum to wildly different compositions, or maybe making separate versions of the same level themes therein, would just be confusing and weird? Remember they did banish some S3/S&K alternate tracks from playing in this remaster.

It's so weird, S1/SCD/S2 already don't have their Tax/Stealth remastered versions (restored Japanese loops in SCD's case), but S3&K also isn't of that "authentic" quality either because it's Genesis-recorded rather than an entirely mastered soundtrack release. Maybe they wouldn't remaster the majority of S3&K's music if they were unsure about which prototype non-MJ renditions they were using for Origins, but they seem firm on the decision to go with the earlier ones. Does touching up the more incomplete parts of either prototype come off as too inauthentic to Sega? Did they think remastering S3&K's soundtrack would mean also having to remaster all the bonus game music DLC as well? It's such a mess, I'm trying to figure out their logic on this one.

Also apparently the Sega Asia website has been updated with Origins Plus info, basically just a more accurate English translation of what was presented on the Japanese site.

This sounds promising. Wonder if actions refers to the gimped non-S3&K Drop Dash (with its Roll Lock complication and visible frames from the Spin Dash it's masking) or S3&K's unique physics from how the Retro Engine translates its values. Maybe improvements could mean Max Control in all games or a reimplemented traditional save system. If not, on the list they go. Maybe half of that might also be weirdly changing existing stuff of the game in Sega's eyes, but IDK.
    Probably goes without saying, but I'm glad they're making Amy distinct enough as her own character. Though I'm not sure if she can jump and bounce off the ground with her Hammer, or if that was just her bouncing off of a Badnik with her jump in the trailer.
    Like the prior translation, this also seems to suggest it's the one new route in level design compared to the few new routes of S1/S2, assuming that's not just being too literal with it. Maybe it's that and more minor new areas throughout? But still a really cool touch they're adding if so.
    Oh yeah, haven't touched upon this weird tease. Expecting it's some slightly amusing short video unlisted on the Sonic YouTube channel. Or maybe a link to some new cheat codes for all 4 games.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Vertette

Vertette

But console sales are always better, I need the money :'(

"Several bugs and actions" and "improvements" sound a bit vague but at least it's something. HOPEFULLY IMPROVEMENTS MEAN THE S3 TRACKS :argh:

18. MastaSys

MastaSys

All points into being a weird mesh of permanent insta-shield + dropdash (Amy running forward while using the hammer attack)
    In that footage she doesn't touch the ground, so all points to a Badnik bounce.

19. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I think she might have a non-spin jump, but her air action is to do the big hammer spin. That sounds...vaguely balanced.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'm still going to insist that implementing Amy and Knuckles (with new paths) is not something Sega will do solo in all 4 games, and requires bringing in the S3&KRemaster team.

I also agree with the sentiment that we should keep requesting they update the audio engine (for all 4 games) and replace the proto-tracks with their better versions if possible. It's a stretch, but not entirely impossible if the fan devs are being brought back and given more reign. We also now know there will be bug fixes and "improvements". They can leave the new 3K super theme alone, even if it isn't my personal favorite.

If people have the means to contact the team and request fixes/features, now may well be the last chance. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how to reasonably do so.