don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Secretly every missing classic game has been there the whole time as a different "mode". They just didn't think it was worth marketing to us

2. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I'd love it if they added the co-op modes that were mentioned on the survey.

BUT
    This is how it reads on the website:
    This pack also includes previously released add-on content: Extreme Missions, Mirror Mode, new character animations, and additional backgrounds and music.

So I think the new modes are probably just the stuff from the original Origins. It's probably expecting too much to even hope for some Amy missions.

But I dearly hope to be wrong.

3. Ah, love it. I knew that I’d end up preferring their cover. Though on the other hand, I also remembered that I don’t like how the MD-branded spine art of Mania stands out from other games on the shelf. Oh well.

Despite my preference for the JP Mania box, I still don’t actually have it. I guess I’ll use the next months before this releases to finally order it for the Switch now that it’s become my de facto “second purchase/physical edition/import version” console, e.g. Frontiers, River City Girls 1 + 2, Project Diva Mega39s, P4A, Asha in Monster World, etc.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Going to echo the other sentiments of "it's almost as it should've been the first time around". Might even buy it if they fix the bugs and the music too.

Seems weird to include GG games and not SMS or other MD games. Also would've preferred Amy's Advance moveset. And I assume they're not going to fix their stupid interpretation of Sonic 3's story too. But they're minor things.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm pondering if there's some sort of issue with Master System emulation I'm unaware of, or if it's some attempt at "consistency" via using the same console for all the games instead of having weird lower resolutions on some for those kids unaware of the Master System and Game Gear...

6. Davether

Davether

That's all I really wanted out of this tbh :V

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    A $10 patch?

8. Davether

Davether

I highly doubt the bugfixes will be locked behind buying Plus...if I recall correctly, Mania Plus included all the bugfixes/QoL changes in a free update without needing to buy the DLC.

I'm definitely appreciative of all the new features! I'm just more happy to hear they are attempting to fix all the issues of the base collection, I was more invested in that as I really enjoy the widescreen remakes and want to see them performing at their best!

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

Minor things that stick enough in many players/fans' minds, as far as I've perceived so far, so... ^^"

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Indeed. And on that point, they should get rid of the entire Story thing. But I think I've long belabored that enough for this entire website.

11. RDNexus

RDNexus

I liked it. The animation crew simply got forced to compromise too much, not delivering properly. Quite saddening...
    They should've been given a chance to correct as much as possible, but SEGA acts as if it's been done right, so... :(

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The animation crew did beautifully and the animation itself is gorgeous. It's the story that is absolutely horrible. Once more, they should have done Sonic: Man of the Year - Part Two, I think we all would have loved to have seen that...

13. RDNexus

RDNexus

Well, not me. Never cared much, lacked some context...

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]
    (I jest)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  15. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I can see them adding some new character-specific challenge levels for Amy, it'd feel like a bit of a glaring omission to me for the other 3 characters to have their own challenge levels but not any for Amy.

16. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Plus it's not "technically" Classic Sonic anyway.
    I took it to mean that was just talking about the existing Origins base game. Though some new missions for Amy and Knuckles in CD would make sense, though I wonder if that would've been advertised already like the extra missions of a DLC for base game.

Speaking of which, very curious as to if this update allowed Headcannon or otherwise to finally include the sprite swapping feature for S3&K where S1/S2/Mania's sprites could be used. They clearly have new sprites made for Knuckles and Amy, but maybe that's where the brunt of asset making already went, or it'd be made a selling point for the DLC if it was there. Though then I could see the argument of Headcannon believing it shouldn't be that by leu of original intention to be a free part of the remaster, maybe a cheat. At least with a free QoL patch's content, maybe we could get Max Control for Sonic in all games, Elemental Shields or Super Forms in SCD, or & Knuckles Mode for S3&K in particular? If they're editing all the games for Knuckles/Amy and even attuning SCD's level design, they might as well at least fix the Drop Dash.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Fixing the drop-dash is my biggest ask, honestly. Mods already easily bugfixed it on release, but it should be consistent across all titles for the sake of maximum player control and quality of life.

After that, fixing the OST issues. Not including the nicely made 2011 extended tracks for SCD is a travesty that almost no one talks about. Again, easily fixed with mods, but it shouldn't have to be that complicated to get it right. After that, fixing as many collision issues as possible with S3&K is my next major request. There are still too many spots that kill you easily due to collision issues vs Sonic 3 AIR's version of the game. I realize recreating a 1/1 version of the engine is tough, but I feel like at least some of these issues can be fixed with some tiny adjustments.

After that, I want better save features for Sonic 1 and 2, and more of the menu options restored back into CD, but those are things I'm not really expecting. I'm also hoping the final product remains script mod friendly, but we'll see. It could require everything to be disassembled all over again, and in the case of Sonic 1, 2 and AIR has little real benefit. SCD remains the most interesting case for the community to tackle as this gets updated. Will Sonic CD Restored features ever work in this version? Super form mods? Elemental Shields? Again, we'll see.

18. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Funny enough, in one of my bug feedback requests that I sent to SEGA, I specifically mentioned removing the roll lock in Sonic 1 and 2 for a more fluid drop dash, but going the extra mile to code it as it is in the 3&K remake (no more one frame spin dash) would be a nice bonus

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'd like the option to remove the Drop Dash from the games, personally. Never could find that option, nor the option to remove the spin-dash from Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic Origins).

20. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Technically there is a work around for this.. if you don’t want the drop dash nor the spin dash, just select Classic Mode, input the level select code for Sonic 1 at the title screen, turn off the spin dash and the air + ground caps and you’re good

I know it’s technically a cheat code but it does it’s job :V