don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Davether

Davether

Really cool to see a playable Amy in the Classic games. I also appreciate them adding Knuckles to CD for consistency.

I wonder if development for this "Plus" expansion included any more bugfixes to the current state of the game? There are definitely some things that still needed tweaking, especially in Sonic 3&K. I also wonder if they are doing anything in response to the negative backlash towards Sonic 3's replacement tracks...although I'm not banking on it. At the very least, I would like to have some way to toggle between sonic 3 sounds and sonic & knuckles sounds (not talking about the songs with legal issues, moreso stuff like the inviciblility jingle, life up jingle, title screen music, etc)

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I can't tell if the artifacts are just adding an extra shade or here.
    But they're definitely going past the 16 limit. That's fine, I just wish the skirt didn't look awful.

3. serpx

serpx

I'm really happy that they added a new playable character. I understand how cool it would be to play new levels -- personally, the only thing that'd get me to play through all the old games again (just cause of burn out) is a total new character that freshens things up. Sonic Mania Plus added two new characters, and that added such an awesome variety. Outside of having larger reach to hit enemies, did she have any additional mechanics?

And the 12 game gear games just makes it an actual package worth my money now. I did feel ripped off buying it in the beginning, but new games is a huge plus. Only thing missing for me is fixing the awful music in Sonic 3.

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    That would absolutely rule. Vs or Co-Op. (Or Team versus!)
    Or they can pull another one on us with Sonic Origns + Battle.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I feel like that would come across as them just outright trying to milk customers of the money...
    At least Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was a port to different hardware. It'd be like all those Street Fighter 2s on the SNES.

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm failing to see your point if these DLCs were spread out throughout the year(s). Majority of these would not be intirely from scratch, as archival data of scrapped levels exist to some extent. Testing/alterations would be needed for a lot of those, but is doable given an extended amount of time. Extra Characters (lets be honest with ourselves here) would be skin swaps over already existing characters illiminating a lot of that testing. The only "extensive" testing would be the Maniaesq pallete swap difficult levels. Which I'd be ok with not having, if I'm being honest.

7. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Have to agree that this is pretty underwhelming, at least imo. Playable Amy is cool and it looks like her spin jump has an enormous hitbox, but stuff like Knuckles in CD should have been there from the beginning.

Amy just looks kinda weird for some reason, idk anything about color limits or whatever but she just looks... off.

Game Gear titles are kinda meh, nice for new fans picking up the game but I feel like we're at the stage where SEGA could be offering premium 16-bit style content or something along that line, even something like Mania Plus palette swaps felt so much more refreshing and new than recycling 8-bit emulations. They don't need to build new stages or anything like that, but it's pretty clear they took the low effort route here.

Tbh this game needs a bit more before I can really consider it the definitive classic collection, but it's nice that they're still supporting it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Well, we're guaranteed two of these. Let's see how many more we get.

Game Gear games are a nice touch. SMS versions would also be nice but this is how I played these games originally.

9. Vertette

Vertette

You assume Sega is competent enough to keep that very old data backed up and safe.

10. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    It's not like Sega is some indie studio either, they can put a lot more money into their projects if they really want to. Also, not rushing games would help a lot too.

They're going to avoid both of these things as much as possible because they know they can get away with it, but still

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    [​IMG]

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Fair counter, I was thinking in terms of the originals (Dreamcast to GameCube), but fair turnabout.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Regarding playable characters, I'm definitely excited to have playable Amy in all four games, and Knuckles in CD. Regarding game selection, it's a shame that we're not getting the Master System versions of the 8 bit games that have one, and that we're not getting Spinball or 3D Blast (odd, even, given they have islands on the main menu); but if I'm being honest, I'd take Tails Adventure over either of them.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Looking at the info leak pages, it seems like they're putting the Game Gear games as extras in the Museum, I suggested this a couple days back as a way to differenciate extra emulated games from the main four centerpiece remakes so I commend them for being one step ahead of me.

I agree with statements however, it would be neat to get the Master System versions as a toggle option for the games that got one, ESPECIALLY Sonic 2 which is nearly unplayable in the Game Gear version.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    glances over at his copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga

They did that series dirty...

16. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I hold out hope they will actually put a save file system in for every game just like the mobile ones......

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Overall... disappointed.

The Origins survey mentioned new co-op modes and new animations, but there's none of that here (unless they are holding it back for later reveals).

Amy in Sonic Advance didn’t have a spin jump and was effectively hard mode. Here she seems to be a Sonic re-skin, just easier to play (as her Hammer seems to have a wider attack radius). I do appreciate making older games easier, but I feel Origins has already done that with the coin system. How much easier do we need things to be?

A lot of the disappointment comes down to the price. Existing owners will have paid $54.99 in total. And although the new package is only $39, it still feels at that price Sega should be doing more (especially as they already made money on the mobile versions).

But like I said earlier, if they can polish up the existing games (e.g. better save mode, 2P split screen for more levels, option to select hero/sidekick etc) that could make all the difference to me (but I don’t expect this).

And even though Amy is not like I want her, I do give them credit for including her, rather than just recycling Ray/Mighty from Mania.

18. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Just wait till you hear what they're adding in the & knuckles dlc, I also hear they're planning to make an ultimate version with higher fidelity graphics (shit tone of blur and bloom).

I personally can't wait for Sonic Origins plus & Knuckles ULTIMATE 2 Revenge of the barrel The movie The game

However I won't buy it until they fix the god awful menus.

19. I gave my theory on this already when predicting that only the GG games would be here. They were released in Japan, while the other versions weren't. That likely makes them the "true" versions in the eyes of Sonic Team, considering they're the ones representing the 8-bit games in every single rerelease since then (excluding Virtual Console). They also scale better to modern displays.

Anyway, on to what was revealed. Amy looks like a ROM hack. It'd probably take me a while to get used to it no matter how well it was done, but I just can't look at her sprite right now and be like, "This fits."

Game Gear games were 100% expected by myself, and I'm not disappointed. I usually have my Mega Drive and Mega SD (loaded with the MS games) hooked up to a CRT, so I can play those versions whenever. If they're going to have emulations of these, I don't see why they wouldn't throw on the other Mega Drive games though. The Mega Drive Collection isn't available in Japan, so it's not like those consumers have another option like the majority of us do.

I'm also wondering what the box art looks like for Japan. The reversible art on the Japanese Mania Plus blew the Western release away in my opinion. I'm not very interested in, or impressed by, the displayed Genesis/Euro Mega Drive artwork. I already have the game digitally on PS4 so I'm planning to grab a Japanese physical edition for Switch to go along with my Frontiers and other JP Switch games.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I like how SEGA is rewarding people like me for NOT buying the game when it first came out.