don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    We all knew deep down this was coming and what to expect, this is what origins should have been at launch.

2. MastaSys

MastaSys

Kinda cool, but I'll just get this bargain-bin quality addition at a proper price later.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Eh, I wouldn't have included Story Mode and instead have Sonic: Man of the Year Part 2 made and included. Play it up a bit as a 'sequel' to Sonic Jam. Perhaps also include Sonic the Hedgehog (OVA) on there, for kicks.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The real question is: did they make Amy a small body character or is she full size like everyone ever aside from Tails.

With mania plus they made the mistake of making Ray as full body size, Tails is still the only short character in the classic series and his size matters and changes a few things.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Playable Amy is very good. Playable GG doesn't appeal to me but is good for new fans.

I think this is now clearly the best Sonic compilation ever made. Hopefully they give more options now. Playable Knuckles in CD is a very positive sign in that aspect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    "This dude realy sat there and counted colors"

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Vertette

Vertette

Anyone got some crow I can eat?

It's a pleasant surprise they ended up including some 8-bit titles after all, but I do wish they were a bit more detailed about Origins without the DLC. I assume there's a patch like with Mania, but what would that include? Some confirmations i.e. bug or music fixes would be nice.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    the alternate timeline where sega actually did stop rushing their games to release must be awfully nice. this just makes the origins they released last year look even more like a mismanaged cash grab. hard not to feel vindicated for skipping it on release.

playable amy, finally adding knuckles in CD, the inclusion of the GG games, and a physical release is all good stuff. although the omission of other classic-era games is still odd (the GG versions of MBM and spinball; but not the MD versions? blast, but not 3D?). if origins plus/future updates also unfucks a lot of the glitches and odd design choices (namely the Sonic 3 music) that shouldn't had been there in the first place; i will definitely pick it up.

nonetheless. if origins as a whole was internally pushed back to 2023 and we didn't have origins as it currently exists; i and a few others would be way more excited for this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    It's most likely going to be exactly like how they did Mania. New content is DLC, but any QOL stuff and bug fixes will be patched into the base game. Having that stuff locked to DLC will not go over well publically

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    This is…whelming. Was anyone really hankering for Sonic Blast? Spinball 8-bit? Given SEGA’s lax stance on ROMs and emulation, it’s not like these games aren’t well preserved. I think a much more impactful edition would’ve been to port the Xbox 360 version of Sonic the Fighters with a new animated intro and ending from
    Hesse and the team at Powerhouse.

Still, nice to see that all the characters will now be playable in all the games. Granted, that should’ve always been the case, but I’m still happy that we are getting that. The big thing I’m really hoping for at this point is that the 3&K music has been touched up, especially the Super theme.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. MastaSys

MastaSys

Frankly I don't understand the Game Gear fascination when most of the titles were released on the Master System

12. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    The fact that they refuse to recognize the existance of the Master System version's of Sonic 1 and 2 pisses me off. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it could be that they're only using the GG versions of these games for the sake of consistency, but I'd still prefer to be able to actually see the game when I'm playing

Edit: Kinda ninja'd with my complaints here, but my point still stands

13. RibShark

RibShark

upload_2023-3-23_17-29-43.png
    Interesting that they would use the Japanese title here (on the English site), especially considering the Japanese website hasn't even been updated yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I think you missed a blue

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    How they have not added extra levels as DLC is beyond me. It would basically print money for them. Good lord how they have dropped the ball on this shit. Hire me for fucks sake and I can fix all the stupidity.

DLC Island Packs. It's not fucking hard. I'd throw money hard at packs like this.

DLC Island 1:
    Extra Character: Amy
    Extra levels;
    Sonic CDs;
    -R2
    -Desert Dazzle
    -Original Final Level

DLC Island 2:
    Extra Character: Mighty
    Extra Levels;
    Sonic 2s;
    -Sand Shower
    -Winter Level
    -Cyber City
    -Wood Zone

DLC Island 3:
    Extra Character: Ray
    Extra Levels;
    Sonic 2s;
    -Blue Lake
    -Rock Zone
    -Death Egg
    -Ocean Wind

DLC Island 4:
    Extra Character: Metal Sonic
    Extra Levels;
    All zones get the Mania + treatment with pallete swaps, object layout changes, and boss tweaks to make it harder.

There -- I made you a shit ton of money with almost no effort. charge 5/10 bucks an island.

16. Vertette

Vertette

I assume because you run into the risk of having shitty and/or unofficial-feeling levels in your otherwise mostly authentic collection. I can't say adding all those extra levels you talked about sound like they'd take "no effort" either.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'm surprised to see this from you of all people. I'd hardly call an entire Mania's worth of new levels almost no effort, since a lot of what you're suggesting here would have to be designed pretty much from scratch, not to mention the implementation of the characters. Even if Amy and Metal would be the only entirely new ones here as far as the Retro engine is concerned, Mighty and Ray would still need considerable testing and adjustment to ensure their abilities don't break the existing levels, add on top of that the testing EVERY character would need with EVERY DLC level. You're pretty much just asking for an entirely new game at this point, and Origins cut corners as is.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Okay, I've updated the main OP post with the new confirmed info. Thanks for jumping on this so fast, guys.

Now... Sega... can you just explain this to me...

Why is 8-Bit Mean Bean Machine more canon than Chaotix or Saturn 3D Blast gosh darnit?

(Otherwise, I'm good with all this. Just fix all the damn bugs you can before June, PLEASE! Remove the damned roll lock. Make this mod friendly. Drop Denuvo.)

Sonic CD just got a new RDSK decompile, so the mod scene over there is going to be chaos for a while due to 'none of the old scripts being supported' on it. Good luck to PimpUigi with Restored and the like. It will be interesting to see how the community there is forced to evolve from this.

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I am very lukewarm towards this DLC, I have to echo thoughts that the game should've launched in 2023 like this. Amy is cool though, I am happy to play as her.

I will probably be picking up a physical Switch copy anyway, but that's not really because of the DLC, I just wanted these games on the go in the first place. Also the artbook is cool.

Game Gear games are an odd choice. I'd have preferred things like Chaotix, 3D Blast, or even Sonic R although that last one might be a little unrealistic. I don't have much interest in playing any of the 8-bit titles, but who knows maybe I'll grow to like them if I try them.

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

What can I say but....

AMYAMYAMYAMYAMYAMYAMYAMYAMYYYYYY!!!! :D :D :D

The sprites look kinda cool if kinda high brightness. The footage gives the idea she'll have a more a traditional spin format gameplay though, slightly disappointing, though at least we got her in at all.

The Game Gear titles are a neat extra, if a pretty simple one. Still expecting loads of games fully remade and polished is a bit of a high expectation.

Looks like Knuckles is in CD and Amy is in all four games. Unless there's more into the 'new challenges and modes' than the trailer suggests, it looks a little limited compared to Mania's expansion though an extra character can go a long way so long as they implemented her creatively enough. Hopefully adds some more bugfixes as well which is a core thing to work on.

(Still overoptimistic they could add a four player mode...)

Will likely rebuy the game for Switch despite getting the DLC for PS4 because I'm a sucker for physical releases.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List