don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. It’s like they sat down ready to remove one of the few things that makes Cyberspace actually fun to replay before someone mentioned that SEGA PR referenced to it as a legitimate move.

2. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I bet someone's getting fired for that blunder

3. Kyro

Kyro

Aside from the asterisk, I noticed in 1-6 they've added an invisible wall so you cant just homing dash over the entire stage anymore. Im not super well versed in the massive skips for every stage but curious on if any other big skips were patched out

4. The Deleter

The Deleter

I gotta say, it is very funny how the Homing Dash is being treated right now.

Its origins coming from unintentional exploit territory, per Kishimoto opting not to remove it during playtesting due to hoping expert players would enjoy using it.

But in doing so and promoting it through the Speed Strats video, people started viewing it as officially designed tech, and as the true skill ceiling of the game/definitive way to play cyberspace.

But now with this update, and this Asterisk of Shame, now it's back to being the "unintended" way to play lol??? Or at the very least, just like how Nintendo uses the sparkling stars in Mario games for using the easy mode power ups

As someone who appreciates well curated and designed gameplay over exploits, I prefer it this way for sure, at least for the integrity of the time attack challenges. At the very least the move is still there for those who want that higher skill ceiling. But it's funny how this essentially flips the situation on it's head all over again, throwing the move in the exploit doghouse of "less legitimate" than runs performed without it.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat

Stupid question but I’ve already googled it.

How do you actually take a picture and where does it even save?

Edit: Nevermind. I never knew the Switch has a screenshot button...I’m dumb. Haha.

6. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Battle Rush is going to legitimately give me a heart attack. Everything in Ares is just jank enough to where it's hard to imagine doing it any better, and then it gives you a D.

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

8. Rolling/dropdashing freaking out it 2D if you touch the stick still remains, dropdash in 3D stages is still useless.
    The asterisk thing is hilarious maybe by the time all these updates are done we can have a whole array of symbols to to let us know the various ways we went against Sonic Teams’s Intended Design™.
    Which part I can still do the the two big ones with the buzzers near the start and end, the massive skip in 1-7 still remains same for all the ones in 3-1 including my favorite using the buzzer at the otherwise useless ancient light area.

9. Unlockable spoilers
    https://twitter.com/SkateSean2125/status/1638800518771351552

Boss Rush S Ranks unlock Extreme Difficulty and an Emblem on the title screen

https://twitter.com/skullyymain/status/1638809827081359360

Cyber Space Challenge S Ranks unlock Power Boost (aka the max ring boost speed thing from Open Zone) but in Cyberspace levels. And an Emblem on the title screen.

I would possibly suspect there may be one last additional emblem on being added on the title screen for those who clear the game on Extreme Difficulty. May take a bit though, as that difficulty Game Over's on any single hit, and no stat increases whatsoever.

10. The Deleter

The Deleter

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    Not sure if anyone else has been dealing with this issue, but Battle Rush has the tendency to randomly cap the FPS to 30. I believe this is due to the game's cutscenes capping it at that framerate and it's forgetting to revert back to 60 afterward. A solution I had, for PC at least, is just going to the settings and flipping the Cap back and forth to 60. It'll run normally again.

I also heard of consoles having these problems too when playing in performance mode, but I don't know if you can apply the same kind of thing to that as well.

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
  13. I just woke up so I haven’t played yet, so here are my thoughts based on what people have shared.

That asterisk is a bit annoying. I had fun time attacking before discovering the homing dash, so it’s not a huge issue to do separate runs.

The problem is that smashing the trigger and attack is now so ingrained in my muscle memory that I will need to relearn to play the stages without it lol. I’ll need to reroute the majority of stages as well since I only ran the first 10 or so before finding the homing dash.

Glad to see some small physics changes have been made. It bodes well for what they’re going to do in these next updates.

Extreme Difficulty sounds a bit lackluster if it doesn’t change enemy behaviors but I’m glad it’s in.

The data-mined character files are not unexpected and aren’t really a surprise. I’m pretty sure those are who we expected.

I just need to do a call then I’m gonna hop on and see how this thing plays. I’m curious how the power boost will work in Cyberspace. I’m expecting power boost + homing dash time attack runs will be very fun.

14. >Me, complains about the difficulty of Sonic games as of late.

>Sega: Aight bro, here's Hell and Hell mode.

Ya know what, that's completely fair.

15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I think you're taking a joke too seriously, considering that besides the asterisk there is absolutely no penalty for using the Homing Dash.

If Sonic Team really wanted people to not use it, they would have just removed it.

It's pretty obvious that the ability to cancel a Homing Attack into a super boost isn't intended, that it easily breaks a lot of the level design, and finally there's a bit of a skill ceiling to it. People who use the Homing Dash will have entirely different times than people who don't. So the asterisk is kind of fair, lest people look at sub-10 second times for 1-7 and wonder "how in the hell..." Just because they leave it in doesn't mean it's intentional. Though, it'd be great if they do keep it in the future.

Homing Dash is a valid speedrun tactic, it's just very obviously not how the levels are designed to be played.

But to the point, this is basically a joke, and the fact that they know about the exploit enough to know when a player used it, but the only penalty is a little star next to your time that most people won't notice, is honestly pretty hilarious.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  16. Okay, Kronos Island Battle Rush S-ranked! Pretty easy with a 100% save file. I'm glad the quick reset works here as well. I skimmed past the update feature prompts so I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but I had assumed it'd just be in Cyberspace.

On to the next islands...

Edit:
    Okay, clearly I can't beat Sumo in a good time for the life of me... is there a trick to this guy? I always avoided him during the main game.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  17. MH MD

MH MD

i didn't think of the asterisk thing negatively, if anything, it acknowledged that i did the cool thing.

And also it actually opens a new speedrun category, pretty sure you will see "no asterisk!" runs going from now, and if somehow, one managed to break new records without an asterisk, that would be really impressive.
    That or they somehow find a way to bypass the asterisk while keeping the homing dash, or go the easy way and just mod it out if it is that annoying for them

18. Yeah, this is how I reacted to it. The homing dash makes such a huge difference that I think acknowledging its use is required. Even if the team left it in intentionally, the levels were not designed around it. There is 0 possibility that a non-asterisk run will beat the top times because there are instances where you just fucking blast through the whole thing (this run I did of 1-7 is a good example - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tjAfTZSeY74).

I'm just going to have asterisk and non-asterisk runs from now on. I'm glad they are trying to encourage both methods.

19. The Deleter

The Deleter

Yup, but at that same time that's why it's going to be viewed negatively. "No asterisk" S ranks are inherently harder to reach, and as a result, modding them out is, well, the same thing as modding S rank requirements to be easier.

Whether players don't see anything important by it or other rationalizations, the separation and qualifier have more consequences for people to achieve non-asterisked ranks. It's good for the reasons you said, but bad for anyone who thinks that is bs.

(tbh if they had this tech implemented already it would have been cool to see some ranks dedicated to homing dash runs outright imo)

20. MH MD

MH MD

Speedruns communities are no stranger to harder -and straight up weird- categories that have slower times but are harder to achieve and more impressive when they happen, they can co-exist with the faster any-method speedruns just fine, so i think it will be fine in the end