don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ooohh battle rankings, that’ll be very interesting. And I like how it’s split up by island but you can do a marathon session too, best of both worlds.

That being said this first pack smells a bit like “we couldn’t finish this in time here it is now.” And it’s free so it’s fine, but this mostly feels like an elaborate patch. Photo mode, juke box, and a challenge mod mixing and matching existing content in a more fleshed out arcade mode, all of it seems like we should’ve had it in November.

But hey better late than never

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  2. Bilollipop

Bilollipop

I just really hope they added a toggle to lower the boost distortion audio in Cyberspace. I find myself trying to boost sparingly on replays to enjoy the tracks.

3. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    THIS. I play on PC so I can disable it easily via the mod loader but I feel bad for all you console players stuck with the music sounding like it's coming out of a Nokia.

Anyway, I'm excited for the boss rush and Cyberspace all stages rush. Both sound like a good way to waste an afternoon trying to perfect a run :P

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  4. They should make it so the audio effect fades out after the first few moments like they did with the visual effect… but they should also go back in and make the visual effect permanent so I don’t need to keep mashing in order to know that I’m actually boosting lol.

5. Yes! I was hoping for that!

6. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I never have to deal with this stupid fucker ever again

upload_2023-3-20_13-6-23.png

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey now not his fault Sega forgot to add a menu toggle there

8. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    You can't stay mad at that face

9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Speak for yourself.

Serious thoughts:
    • The photo mode looks slightly barebones. It's missing some extras you find in some other photo modes, like stickers or poses, but it's still a very nice feature to have. Looks like fun to mess around.
    • I wasn't initially expecting much from the jukebox but it's actually pretty in-depth? They're adding an actual in-game collectible. That's very cool, it feels like a more tangible reward that way instead of just having them all in a menu. It's also extra nice that you can listen to it during gameplay.
    • Challenge modes look fine. I'm interested in what the "special reward" it, but they just look like more ways to get your money's worth. If you like the combat, that is. Or Cyber Space.
    Some of this feels like content that was intended to be in the game from the start, but other parts feel like "we were given some extra time so let's make it extra worth it". I am pleased. :D

10. charcoal

charcoal

I have to echo @jubbalub's thoughts. I'm pretty happy with the content on display here, obviously nothing game changing but it's nice extras and QoL stuff that I can't complain about. Just making an already good game even better!

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

It's good they are adding an option to turn off the stupid Starfall slot machine mechanic. But maybe, just maybe, they should also make it smaller and not put it in the middle of the screen.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I mean in fairness this was obvious from the moment they released the DLC list, the real meat of the updates they're pushing out isn't going to be until update 3. 1 was blatantly "the stuff we ran out of time to do" from the initial description, and the stuff today only confirms it. Nice it's happening I guess but nothing to write home about.

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Beautiful. This is the stuff I was hoping for. Let me turn off the numerous tutorial prompts when starting a new save and then I'll be gravy.

14. VenomTH

VenomTH

I do wonder if this means new Trophies/Achievements. Honestly, I doubt it, but it would make jumping back into the game even better.

15. I’d love to see that, but I think it’d necessitate making this a free DLC as opposed to an update. Is that the current distribution plan with this?

16. VenomTH

VenomTH

I suppose so, I confess I'm unfamiliar with the process of adding new Trophies/Achievements to titles on console or PC and I have no idea how SEGA intends to release this content.

I did some quick research and found this Microsoft Game Development page that notes the following:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Hmmm, I’m guessing the limit means having a total score of 1000 on Xbox? I’m not familiar with any examples of games that have added achievements or trophies without a corresponding DLC pack, so even if it were technically possible, I think it’s something intended for post-launch balancing purposes rather than what we’re imagining.

I also can’t imagine the 3rd update, which will incorporate new story and characters, not having its own set of achievements and trophies, which likely means it will be a DLC.

I would like to see improvements to the base game (movement, pop-in, glitches, etc.) in addition to the new features of each update, so maybe having that gameplay stuff be a standard update is the best procedure. They could go the Mania route of making those core changes and then a complementary DLC release alongside them.

Idk, just rattling off some thoughts. We’ll see how they go about this soon enough.

18. netscapenow

netscapenow

The console versions of Minecraft add new trophies/achievements with each major update, and there weren't any issues with it (until the PS4 version had to split its trophy list in 2 because there was an 128-trophy limit at least).

Would be nice seeing new ones added as someone who's unhealthily obsessed with them myself :V

19. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Why is restarting Cyber Space stages mid-level something they're talking about? I thought you could do that already? Am I crazy?

20. charcoal

charcoal

Yes you could do that already, aha. I imagine they're talking about an on-demand restart at the press of a button similar to Mania's time trials, rather than having to go into the menu. If not that then IDFK what they're talking about.