don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    I know they're not doing this, but I really wish they add Chaotix and use it as an excuse to make a short Knuckles story mode where you go from Knuckles' story in Sonic 3 to Chaotix.

I despise Chaotix, but the idea of seeing them connecting these two stories as they're supposed to amuses me

2. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    At this point with the complete radio silence from Stealth, I have a gut feeling that Headcannon are involved.

I mean think about it, if SEGA is planning on adding a new character to all 4 games as well as Knuckles into CD, it means brand new code and art assets being compiled into the collection. Do they have the right people on hand to do such a thing, especially with the Retro Engine? Odds are leaning towards no.

Also who else is going to fix the existing bugs in Sonic 3? Highly doubt it’s SEGA’s internal team.

I’m optimistic that Stealth and SEGA hopefully had a nice heart to heart about the issues Origins had during launch; you clearly saw the dedication into trying to make things right on his part.

This is a shot at redemption for both sides and here’s hoping that they deliver

If not, then I can’t trust SEGA with another retro compilation.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Still hoping for Emulated Chaotix (Retro version seems nigh impossible at this point, so I will take any version), some version of 3D Blast (man, imagine if they added the dev enhanced romhack!?), and Spinball just to round things out...

I'm okay with GG titles as extras, but wish they would use Master System versions instead for the extra screenspace.

4. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    8 bit games aint mediocre, in fact they are pretty impressive comparing them with other games in Master System and Game Gear.
    You're just mean.

5. Kyro

Kyro

Them being better than other mediocre games doesnt really make them much better, even if they are decently impressive forntheir hardware. In my opinion, they are mostly all miserable, dreadful even, to actually play

6. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    The Aspect games are rather crummy IMO (with the exception of Tails' Adventure IMO), but Sonic 1 8-bit deserves mad respect. It's a good game all on its own, even if not all that speedy. In some ways, it's a better game than its 16-bit cousin! It was so good that SEGA gave Ancient the green light to make the Bare Knuckle series.

7. Snowbound

Snowbound

Regardless of the 8-bit games’ quality they should be made easily and legally available for historic preservation purposes. Whether that availability should be in Origins Plus is up for debate… but I personally would like em.

8. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    The best preservation is in the form of raw ROMs. And frankly, to hell with over-extended copyright law, I don't care if it's "legal" and nor should anyone else. It's one thing to pirate something that is still commercially viable (definitely give it a chance), but if it's abandonware, all bets are off so far as I (or anyone else should) care.

If SEGA wants to abandon these games, then they're defacto public domain. If anyone is looking to some commercial tripe like Origins for "historical preservation", they're barking up the wrong tree.

9. Pengi

Pengi

I want to play the Master System and Game Gear games on Switch, so I want an official release. Especially the Master System versions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Ah, thank you for clarifying.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Come on Sega we all know this is a thing just release a trailer already.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    If I was Sega, I'd do a Sonic Central announcing Origins Plus alongside Frontiers Update 1 and the second chunk of Sonic Prime episodes. That's kind of what I expect Sega to do since it's the option that makes the most logical sense, but I have no idea.

13. Jucei

Jucei

Mania Plus?

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    oh my bad, typo. Meant Origins Plus.

15. Snowbound

Snowbound

Mania Plus PLUS just got accidentally confirmed, jk :p

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The problem is if Amy is now in all the classic games, you'd almost need her officially added in Mania too.

So yes, Mania Plus+ the seconding but totally not yet a sequel.

17. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I tend to agree, ESPECIALLY Sonic 1 8-bit. That game for whatever reason is really fun. I think for the sake of having an easy way to play them for newer fans, kids, or casual players it is a great idea! It sucks for us though, we really need to get them to rerelease SegaSonic, SegaSonicBros and Chaotix though. Quality aside there are so many people who have never played those and you never know one of them may just become someones favorite game. I've never played Mighty and Ray's debut despite always wanting to, setting up an emulator sounds like a chore for one game that looks interesting so having an easy way to play it would be cool.
    Alas, a man can dream.

18. Snowbound

Snowbound

You bring up a good point about Amy. I’m honestly wondering if Mania will be included in Origins Plus. I’d be for it, if it meant we get new/unseen Mania concept art in the museum

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Obviously not. If anything you would just get a "Lock-On" that adds Mania to the menu provided you already own it.

Mania and Origins are both Xbox One and PS4 games, after all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. Snowbound

Snowbound

I would love a lock on feature between Origins Plus and Mania. I also think it’s unlikely for Mania to be included. That said, I don’t have the latest gen Xbox or a PS5 so I’m very confused as to the backward compatibility features for those systems. In Ryan Bloom’s video on Origins Plus he raised the possibility of Mania being included cuz Mania isn’t on PS5. To be clear I’m not saying Bloom has inside info (he doesn’t), his vid just made me wonder if Mania isn’t natively available on some of the newer systems