don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Headcanon Thread of Lore and Time Stones

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BlackHole, Aug 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  2. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member

Isn't the SA1 artwork a concept drawing of the outside of the snake chamber?

at 9:40

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

No, that artwork depicts the outside of the emerald altar.

4. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

How does that even make sense? Lost World doesn't have an emerald altar, as it's not even on Angel Island.

6. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    As I said, that art is likely concept art of the outside of the snake chamber. There's nothing to suggest it's an emerald altar.

7. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Did you miss the third pic?

9. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I can see that possibly being the case, especially since the second "Lost World" artwork seems to show visual similarities to Hidden Palace to me. Then when they decided to go with the outdoor altar and forego Hidden Palace, they reworked the area into the final Lost World and moved it outside of Angel Island.

FWIW the the Lost World we got had that ancient mural with Perfect Chaos, and Hidden Palace is known to have similar murals.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  11. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Thanks. I agree that it's fascinating how early concepts seem to suggest that SA1 would have been closer to S3K.

I still hold that the 4th pic looks like the outside of the altar to me, especially since it's next to the pic with with the altar itself. Though I suppose even if that's the case, it could still have inspired the snake chamber's pillar in the final game, especially if Hidden Palace was indeed reworked into Lost World.

Anyway, I wish somebody would just ask the devs what was the deal with the switch from the underground altar to the outdoor altar in the S3K > SA1 transition. I can imagine they just did it for plot convenience, but it would be nice to have official word.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  13. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

My guess is that they phased out Hidden Palace from SA1 onward in order to keep things simple. Having only one altar around avoids confusion from new fans. Same reason they phased out Mecha Sonic. Though I think it's a pity, as I've always loved Hidden Palace's appearance and atmosphere.

Anyway, I really wish they had provided an in-universe explanation as to why Knuckles decided to switch altars.

I think that's just meant to be a section set on the sides of the pyramid, with the sky and jungle you see being Mystic Ruins'.

I was thinking the same.

I wonder how early these artworks are. Knuckles' silhouette in the second one seems to have classic-esque proportions to me, so they might even date to the Saturn stage of SA1's development.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  15. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

16. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

17. OrionNavattan

OrionNavattan

Tech Member
    Oregon
    FWIW, my own fanfic-and-Tumblr-influenced headcanon builds a bit on what is mentioned in TailsTube 4. He, and Tails, were homeless when they first met, and remained so up until Tails built his workshop. Since then, Sonic is technically not homeless; he has a bedroom in the apartment at Tails' workshop, said place also being his mailing address. However, he only really sleeps in it when he needs to stay at Tails' for more than a couple days: normally he camps out, stays in hotels, or crashes on friends' couches.

(Although he rarely sleeps in it, Sonic's bedroom is not barren at all: it's also where he stores the handful of possessions he's accumulated over the years, including such things as his Extreme Gear and Chip's bracelet.)

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm guessing Tails' Adventures is not included in that headcanon, since it shows Tails as having a workshop and home over on Cocoa Island before he met Sonic?

19. OrionNavattan

OrionNavattan

Tech Member
    Oregon
    A modified version of that games' events do occur in my headcanon on Tails' origin. Haven't solidified all of the details, but it is basically "a cognitively hyperprecocial fox kit left to die at 3 months old on Cocoa Island, who taught himself to read, use tools, and build via books, tools, and other things his parents left behind in their boarded-up cabin, and who ultimately took out the Battle Kuuku army and recovered a Chaos Emerald at one year of age, not realizing the significance of what he did until many years later."

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    The reason Sand Hill in Sonic Adventure is, well, a sandy hill is due to it once being the same desert as Sandopolis from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.

When Angel Island rose, half the desert went with it, and the remaining half quickly formed a hill in the new recess. So while you're sandboarding down, you're going down where Angel Island once was.