don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. A lot of those delicous photorealistic sandwiches.

2. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    This doesn't really restore any of my confidence in the ability of the people writing for Shadow. I'm still super wary of how he'll appear in Sonic 3, and his next appearances in Sonic Prime have probably been set in stone for a year or more.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Fingers crossed for the first one that, since it's based on his Sonic Adventure 2 time, they can ignore the mandates in favour of his "original" personality. Of course, this is also pretending SEGA care about their own history in the first place...

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like the movies follow their own rules and are mostly immune to the canon mandates. It’s the one branch of the franchise they don’t consider canon and they don’t bother trying to fit it in to the timeline since it’s too different. Rings don’t even work the same. Shadow will be however they want him to be.

I wonder if the credits will be a sprite montage or an SA2 Esq cutscene

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. RDNexus

RDNexus

Didn't the first movies use a montage of similar style?
    I don't see a need for them to suddenly change style.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    1 and 2 did some sprite animations, although 2’s pixel art was nicer (and I think done by a member here, Crappy Blue I believe). Just curious because if Sonic 1 = origin so ya Genesis and Sonic 2 is loosely based off Sonic 3K so again Genesis, but Sonic 3 will be loosely based off Adventure 2 and that was a 3D game. So if the credit sequences are homages then a kinda crusty 3D sequence would make more sense lol

7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    While it would be nice to see them pay homage to turn of the century polygon graphics, pixel art is much more marketable with regards to nostalgia and such.

To bring things back on topic, however, what has been said about Shadow is actually intriguing me to the point that, if I like his showing in #59 onwards, I'll probably have more enthusiasm towards checking out Prime once all the episodes are out this year.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    There, ah...
    [​IMG]
    ...there weren't any small animals in those Classic-style mechs, right?

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I sometimes wonder that myself, I’m assuming no because otherwise Blaze you just killed like 20 animals.

They probably run off the type of energy they use in like Generations or Unleashed.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I'd need to go back through every issue to be certain, but I'm pretty the IDW book has never shown animals in Badniks outside of classic era stories.

11. I think Dr. Eggman is using other forms of energy for badniks (maybe chaos drives?) in IDW and modern Sonic Games (except Lost World).

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Well we know from Bad Guys he keeps reserves of power cores and his Egg Walker was powered by a chaos drive in #55, not to mention + - the current arc is all about dealing with a self-expanding city with massive fake Chaos Emeralds as its centrepiece   , so the doctor's got options.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic Prime seems to disagree.

14. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    As far as I can remember, the only issues from the mainseries that show animals popping out of robots are 5 and 8, though only the E-series robot does it in the latter

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Huh. I guess it just depends on the type of badnik Dr. Eggman wants to use at the moment.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Eh, in that instance Sonic says the concept is new.

6:52

"Robots without Flickies? Now that's new..."

There was a debate about it somewhere, but with the current insistence that Sonic Prime and Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW Comics) are in continuity with both each other and the games, and both the games and Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW Comics) contradicting said Netflix series via the Power Cores and Chaos Drives...

17. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

I would say it does for evan IMO. Ian...YMMV, he's had issues with the guy back in archie tbh

18. Kyro

Kyro

Question for yall keeping up with the comic

Lately it seems like the latest issues for IDW havent actually been available digitally on IDW's own service compared to amazon or other places.

57 and 58 both say coming soon despite both release dates already passing, at least on mobile.

Is there any reason for this? I didnt even realize 58 was already out because of it

Attached Files:

19. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Ian Flynn has said on the Bumblekast (this was before Sonic Prime came out) that SEGA was wanting them to show animals in Badniks less often. Also keep in mind that Sonic Prime was in development for 5 years. WildBrain was working on Episode 1 for 4 years according to the Netflix Twitch Stream.

EDIT: Yes, it's frustrating when the continuity of your favorite franchise doesn't line up 100% all the time. I wish it did, but the nature of having multiple writers across the world making different blue hedgehog stories for a large company makes it impossible for everything to line up perfectly. Sonic's line about animals in Badniks was an error that wasn't fixed before Sonic Prime released on Netflix. That line won't mean anything to the future of the franchise outside of the Netflix show. It's just a throwaway line of dialogue.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Kind of like how IDW issue 3 name drops the Hooligans even though at the time they were banned from the modern cast. A mistake that wasn’t corrected, move past it.