don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. I thought the point was to buy the games, put them on my shelf, then go on SonicRetro to complain that they’re not all Sonic 3 :V

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

My favourite thing about Sonic games versus other platformers is just how free-form free gameplay is. You don't have to worry about precision or level runs being the same on each playthrough, which is more true of 3K and Mania than anything else. Speed running and taking the top routes are the least of my concerns.

Tails just isn't as fun as Sonic or Knuckles. He offers easy exploration, but I'd rather do that as Knuckles. Mighty in Mania is a better easy mode, imo.

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Running right to complete levels is so Super Mario... We've evolved beyond that nonsense here.

4. To add some seriousness to my post above, I pretty much play Sonic like a Tony Hawk game. This applies particularly to the classics. I just like to roll around, bounce off stuff, and see where I end up. For certain games or stages, usually in modern titles, I will go hard on the time attack/speed-running, but I generally approach things in a very free form way. I know the games well and I’m good enough that I don’t really have any execution problems in movement, so my fun is found in making the gameplay look as stylish as possible, like you’re doing a DMC combo or something.

Playing Sonic Frontiers’ cyberspace stages is the first time that time attacking really became the focus for me and I think that’s because the magnet dash or whatever (what is this called now?) is just so fucking fun to use.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I definitely wrote Launch Base Zone in there at some point... must've vanished with an edit.

That's... something that fundamentally ruins the level. You now have a whole section of the level that's a random dead end for no reason.

6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    So does this game just not save your settings correctly? I've changed the game so that it runs in a window and it always ends up going back to fullscreen mode.

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Another small thing that needs fixing is for the Switch version to correctly suspend when going back to the Home menu. If you're in a situation where the game is pauseable (such as mid-level) it at least auto-pauses when pressing the Home button, but otherwise it just keeps running in the background until it reaches a point where it could be paused, meaning you can totally miss things like score tallies, transitions, endings and animations if you need to suspend the software at that point. If you're on a menu, this means it never suspends and just keeps on running in the background indefinitely. It's frankly amateurish, and certainly the only Switch software I've encountered which doesn't correctly support this basic part of the console's functionality.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    PS4 version does the same when accessing the dash. I agree, it's hacky and awful.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I had a similar problem, but in reverse, with the FF pixel remasters always opening windowed even though I wanted them in full screen, and messing with the properties in Steam did the trick. In case you haven't tried this already: right click on the game's name in your library, go to properties, and type "-windowed" in the bottom box.

10. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Looks like we are itching closer to either an announcement or an actual release date as now a Ratings depot has been updated on SteamDB

upload_2023-3-6_11-50-47.jpeg

Easy guess would be the content is being reviewed and rated here in the States or wherever but we shall see.

Will this be SEGA’s redemption or will they cut even more corners??

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  11. I pretty sure SegaSammy committed to increasing the budget allocated to their consumer products division (e.g. the new Sapporo studio) so there’s hope. We’ve got Iizuka in a board role and there’s a proven market for an expansion like this, so you can budget accordingly to the Mania -> Mania Plus expansion using Origins’ figures. Though there’s also the fact that you can very easily boost the ROI for the initial development by supplementing this with very little lol.

So… idk? I’d say 50/50 on whether or not it’s underwhelming. If Frontiers bombed and Sega wasn’t on this pretty good Sonic streak (I’ve never seen this many Sonic products in stores in my life), I’d say it’d lean heavier towards being shitty.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    [​IMG]
    Posting without any further comment.

13. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’m a broken record at this point… but I’m only buying this if Headcanon’s involved. Make it right Sega and then KEEP working with the Mania devs.

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Should have gone with the Master System versions of any games in question.. especially in the case of Sonic 1 and 2 GG :V

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    My counter response...
    [​IMG]

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm not buying it if I'm expected to play through the S2GG first boss literally ever again. I did it once, and that's more than enough for my entire lifetime.

But hey I'd actually be happy to play through Blast again.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

A competent Master System port of Blast wouldn't be that bad. It's the only game Knuckles is fully playable in 8 bit at least.

A shame PAL support of the system didn't last a little longer so we got the other Sonic GG games in full screen.

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think it must be additional characters or modes. I just don't think extra games fits the point of the collection, which is a remastered selection of the best classic Sonic games.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    People outside of our circle won't necessarily care. Adding more games and tossing in filters counts as a "remaster" in some eyes. Adding more games adds more value to the overall package, especially if the play is to have a retail re-release

20. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

I know Laura mentioned that it would defeat the purpose of Origins, which is to include Retro Engine remakes only.. but your post makes me wonder:

Has there ever been a retro game collection that included BOTH native remakes built from the ground up and emulated titles?? It’s always either native ports/remakes only (Jam, Mario All Stars) or emulation only (Mega Collection, TMNT Cowabunga Collection, Mario 3D All Stars)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023