don't click here

What are some of your favorite obscure Sonic Characters?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by AlliaTheEchidna, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Honey may have her origins as a cameo character from Fighting Vipers, upon which Sonic the Fighters was built, yet despite being cut/left incomplete in the Model 2B release she got resurrected for the 2012 port. Hey, if Bark and Bean can reappear in some capacity then I wouldn't rule out the possibility for her to return.

2. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I think it would be much better (and more hilarious) of we instead had just gotten the Fighting Vipers character herself.

3. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    I like Flicky.

4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I mean it's not for nothing; in nearly all instances it's just them wanting to move in a different direction from the third parties that made it all happen.
    I'm not sure DIC super cared about Underground (and therefore Manic) from the start since not only is it completely out of order in terms of when episodes aired, but even its "official" order is wrong. and that was put out at the exact time SEGA was trying to rebrand Sonic so they probably didn't have any problems letting it go.
    Shade maybe could have gotten something, but 2010 rolled around, without any form of planned Chronicles sequel on the horizon, and suddenly Chronicles is very difficult to justify defending your legal rights to, especially when the game is so loosely tied to everything else and you'd likely be continuing the work of one writer. it's easier to just say there's still just one Gizoid, there is no other Echidna clan that's also the Fourth Great Civilization Gerald talked about, and that there is no Twilight Cage with alien beings trapped inside.
    Eclipse and any other Late Archie character is just a victim of SEGA wanting to have more direct control over the comics if they were going to be made, around the same time that they were (yet again) trying to rebrand Sonic after Sonic Boom happened.

Honey has reappeared, though. Both in official artwork with the whole "Classic" cast, and in an IDW comic about Classic Amy making comics. So she's "In circulation", but probably makes exclusive appearances alongside the "classic" cast as of right now. Even if she is a giant homage, she's just as real a character as every other Fighters character.

Edit: Woops, missed a 1 in the link.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  5. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  6. Pengi

Pengi

Her cameo in IDW's 30th Anniversary comic was probably sneaked in by the artist. Who knows if the Sega staff even recognised her when it came to their art approvals. A potential issue with Honey is that she's a cartoonified version of a character from the Fighting Vipers IP, and IDW only has the license to the Sonic IP. So the question is whether Sega considers Honey the Cat to be a separate entity and part of the Sonic license. As far as we're aware, nobody's pitched her for a story at IDW yet (Ian hasn't), so it remains to be seen what her status is.

She did appear in the Archie comics, but Sega was a lot less hands on with that series, so a lot more stuff went under the radar.

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I doubt that they'd let it slide if there were actually rights issues, because they wrote a whole story around the character and gave her her own variant cover.
    It's a homage/derivative of a character SEGA owns, made by the group that originally made the character, as a character for a Sonic game that group made, and wasn't even officially restored until 2012. Bean would sooner have issues if it went that deep, but it's not exactly dipping into SEGA's Honey merch sales, so it doesn't really hurt anything.

8. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    I'm perhaps the only person here who will put Lumina Flowlight and Void here. I like them enough to have worked on SRB2Kart sprites for them, which I've left unfinished for who knows how long now:

upload_2023-2-25_20-32-3.png

9. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I loved Illumina's design and I also loved Merlina's design. Godesses and mages are totally my aesthetic and I really enjoyed these characters' designs.

10. :colbert:

Those are nice sprites, btw. I don't really play SRB2 Kart much but I'd definitely be interested in trying them out if you get around to finishing them.

11. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Whoops. I was skimming through the thread and didn't see that. ^^;

But hey, cheers! All of Lumina's sprites are done and just needs voice clips. Void's sprites still have a lot of work to do, though I have a lot of other things taking my attention away from finishing them.

12. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'm not sure if he's quite that obscure, but I do like Fang. He's a pretty cool character.

13. Powpuck

Powpuck

Fang definitely qualifies as obscure, and he is unquestionably my favorite. I want to peer into an alternate reality in which he spun off into his own thing as Sonic's equivalent of Wario, with his home dimension being comparably crusty and psychedelic, and woe betides whoever get between him and filthy lucre. Oh well.

And since I don't think anyone has brought him up, my runner up would be Old Man Owl from the OVA, if for no other reason than I think his character design meshes well with the established style of the classic game series.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Let's recall that SEGA were perceptive enough to see a teeny-tiny drawing of Sally that Adam Bryce Thomas snuck into a photo in the background of an issue and warned him not to do it again. They go over multiple art passes to make sure Sonic's mouth is the right shape. Their priorities are weird, but it's not like they don't notice Honey when she's just right there on the page. Twice.

15. It'd be rather wild, albeit nowhere near impossible, that Sega would be unaware of Honey's presence in both the Sonic the Fighters port and the anniversary comic. It is possible, because Sega, but I'd err on the side of them having approved her inclusions.

16. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I guess he is not as obscure nowadays as it was before Mania, but definitely Ray is one of my favourite characters ( way before Mania, too). I also love Espio's original design (his modern take? not so much) and Sticks, from Sonic Boom. Pretty happy to see her name dropped at Frontiers. I also like Marine, but she is like beta Sticks anyways.

17. Pengi

Pengi

Do you have a link to a source for this?

The fact that it made it into the final comic suggests that it slipped through the net.

18. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
  19. I really like Bunnie Rabbot as a character.

20. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’d also like to see a source for this claim. I tried to find it myself but all I could find was a fan blog that showed the cameos and commented on Thomas getting scolded as a rumor:
    https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com...eard-a-rumor-that-adam-bryce-thomas-landed-in