don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Yeah I'm aware that it can be changed before/during the boss right before The End but I didn't feel like it, lol. I've already dropped the game back off at the library so can't do it now anyway even if I wanted to.

It took me 20 hours, and that was doing the minimum required amount to get to the final bosses. I did complete all of the challenges on each island so their maps were fully uncovered, and starting with the second island I focused on getting all the optional memory token cutscenes. Learned all the skills, too. Did not try to complete all the missions on all the stages; I think there were maybe two where I did that, and one of those was a total fluke as I wasn't even trying when I did it. When I got to the last island I just spammed the fishing mini-game to get the remaining keys/tokens cause I didn't feel like doing more missions in the stages. Didn't get any of the Egg Notes, though.

Speaking of the fishing mini-game, I don't think I commented on it yet... it's fun! If the first Sonic Adventure ever gets an FF7 Remake-like treatment, they need to redo Big's fishing gameplay to be just like the fishing game in Frontiers.

2. I honestly wanted a bit of action on Big's stages before he goes fishing.

3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Is anyone else falling in love with Titan: Wyvern? Those trumpets especially give me an eargasm every time I listen to them. If only they lasted longer!

I just love how cinematic it is to scale Wyvern too!

4. Bluebobo

Bluebobo

Weird take central Member
    There has been edits on youtube that try to showcase all major bosses' music, by basically compiling their climb phase music, followed by these extended edits of the vocal songs, and has made me appreciate the boss music even more.
    Wyvern all around is probably my favorite.

Edit: this one

5. Bluebobo

Bluebobo

Late to the party, i wanted to say that i find how Sega talks about Frontiers concerning, they've seen the game's done well and they already talking about monetization plans.
    So even if Sonic Team intends to do free DLC, i wouldn't be surprised if there was a sudden change of plans, just very, very disappointed.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Personally? No, not at all. Those types grandiose of orchestral pieces do absolutely nothing for me. I find them intensely boring to the point I can't even pretend to appreciate them. But that's really just my opinion. I also greatly dislike the orchestral theme for Colours.

7. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Where? They talked about how they're going to increase the budget of titles, they said nothing about monetizing the titles that already exist. Also, they already went through the backlash of paid DLC with Forces.

They announced and started developing the DLC shortly after launch, where they would already know and project the actual sales figures of the game. They wouldn't make the DLC if they didn't already know the game was making bank.

If they were going to monetize it, they already would. And frankly, more playable characters and a new story expansion is already worthy of monetizing.

Actually, the fact that it's free has my expectations low for any super-significant additional content for the game. Frontiers probably has a skeleton crew working on the game with the bulk of Sonic Team on pre-development for the sequel.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  8. Bluebobo

Bluebobo

Specifically the last point being made here.

Sega sammy q & a.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  9. MH MD

MH MD

I find myself only appreciating orchestra music when it's a new rendition of existing music/song that i am familiar with, that's why i love final boss music for Unleashed for example, or 2006, but also don't really like colors theme, Lost World, or honestly like the entire Mario Galaxy soundtrack for example

It's fine for Frontiers bosses however, cause they are just the opening phase that leads to some awesome metlacore music, which takes the main spotlight

10. MH MD

MH MD

Nothing about monetization, they talking about selling of the main game itself through those strategies, "development of DLC" is the thing that is already happening and announced for free, they hope the updates will help the game sell more long term

If anything, it's actually unusual to get supposedly substantial updates for free, they basically extending the game support for an entire additional year without any form of season pass, they have every right to sell additional characters as paid DLC, somehow they didn't

11. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The slide is about selling Sonic Frontiers as a whole product in the long term. To make Sonic Frontiers sell, they'll continue with strategies like adjusting the selling price, doing ads, and making DLC.

That does not mean that the DLC itself will be monetized, just that making DLC is one of their strategies to get people to buy Sonic Frontiers.

It could be possible that the second round of DLC is paid, but if they were "conducting promotions" since Novemeber, well, like I said, if they wanted to make paid DLC, they already would have.

12. The entire sequence with Wyvern was so cool, probably where Sonic Frontiers peaks tbh

Fantastic mood setting music, cool setpieces, the overall cinematic flair that Sonic games have nailed to a T, damn near perfection. Shame the rest of the game drops the ball after but Wyvern really got my blood pumping.

13. This part of the game really has a 2006 vibes (in a good way) with a bit of Unleashed as well.

I actually kinda missed this kind of music in Sonic, honestly. I think at one point, Kenichi Tokoi should really become a director for a Sonic soundtrack.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Wasn't Tokoi in charge for Colours' soundtrack? The credits don't list a sound director, but they do have him down as the sole sound producer for that game. Everyone else, including Ohtani and Hataya, is listed under "music composers".

I think Ohtani was the right choice for Frontiers. Upon learning about what Frontiers was going for as a game, it just seemed to me like he was the perfect. He ended up doing a fantastic job with the direction right across the breadth of the calm open zones with folk instruments to the EDM cyberspace to the metal vocal themes. Chaos Island is just bliss for the ears.

I want to say that Tokoi deserves more time to shine. But then do does Hataya. And Kumatani needs to make her grand return as well. And Senoue somehow outdid himself with TSR. And now we can also add Tee Lopes to the list. The Sonic series is just greedy when it comes to the raw talent of its sound directors and other musicians. It rarely puts a foot wrong.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lol all that talent and Origins sounds like you’re listening to every track underwater

Chaos Islands Movements 2 through 5 are sooooo goooodddd. Also Rhea Island and The End themes.

oh and here’s a cute Classic Sonic mod, but it’s based off Toei/Hesse classic. Interestingly they used the same technique they use to switch Sonic’s side mouth to do the same with the spike direction, very stylized/cool idea:
    https://gamebanana.com/mods/429824

16. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    That model is really really good.

Though one weird thing is that I think it sticks out in Cyber Space more than the Open Zone, honestly. Also, his tail is suuuuper thin. Those are my only two complaints, though.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    This is worded almost exactly how Capcom approaches their support. This may involve paid DLC or not. What they're strictly "monetizing" here is selling the base game itself in the long term. Capcom manages to keep all their recent games afloat and constantly selling by keeping public interest in the base game. RE7 is 6 years old at this point and it managed to become its 3rd best seller after keeping the game relevant with updates early on and eventually doing promotions and big sales when future titles or other cross promotion attempts dropped.

18. I’ve thought that technique could be utilized for classic Sonic in 3D for a while now. I think constantly retaining the spikes in the model’s silhouette, like Mickey Mouse’s ears in his games, could be a cool approach to the design.

I have to say that I’m not a huge fan of this particular model though. The spikes look way too messy. Maybe it’s just a matter of being careful what you wish for, but I think it could probably be implemented better.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh it could definitely be done better I just haven’t seen it attempted before. I think it’s a cute model though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List